This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
One thing with my electric hob which was installed by the builders in 2009 that the pilot light to indicate a plate is on - stopped working, about 6-8 months ago. I forgot to switch it off when cooking pasta. Felt the warmth from it 4 hours later. It was on the lowest setting

Think the job of replacing the bulb is more troublesome than it’s worth.

Soldato
I've often wondered if an air fryer or combi microwave might be more efficient than a traditional electric oven/gas hob.
problem is you end up with articles like this - gen Z journalist ?
The air fryer was the clear winner in the categories of both cost and time.
Using an air fryer saved 26 minutes in time and cost 22p less than using the oven. If I used the oven for this length of time every day over the span of a month, I would end up spending approximately £6.60 more than if I used an air fryer. Over a year, I would save £79.20 on switching appliances when cook just one meal a day.

like comparing a microwave with oven ...
who puts an oven on and cooks just one one thing - we'd usually do main course / desert(some for following day too) / baked-potatoes

Soldato

I don’t know if this was posted here but this is a dumb article imo.

It says that heat pumps could be 3 times more efficient that boilers. Fair enough. But then it suggests that your heat pump could be cheaper than a gas boiler due to the price of gas. Gas is 5x cheaper than electricity, not 3x. Not sure how the logic here stacks up.

Maybe running at lower temps helps?

Soldato

I don’t know if this was posted here but this is a dumb article imo.

It says that heat pumps could be 3 times more efficient that boilers. Fair enough. But then it suggests that your heat pump could be cheaper than a gas boiler due to the price of gas. Gas is 5x cheaper than electricity, not 3x. Not sure how the logic here stacks up.

Maybe running at lower temps helps?

Yeah it's efficient but then as you say gas is cheaper per kwh, but the big win would be being able to remove gas supply from your property, so one less standing charge to pay, and one less chance of carbon monoxide poisoning in your home as well.

Soldato
Yeah it's efficient but then as you say gas is cheaper per kwh, but the big win would be being able to remove gas supply from your property, so one less standing charge to pay, and one less chance of carbon monoxide poisoning in your home as well.
How many people suffer from a faultygas boiler a year? Hardly any

Caporegime
I don't bother preheating the oven.

If it says 180oC for 30 mins, the food goes in and oven switched on at same time. 30 mins later and the food is ready the same as if I preheated for 5-10 mins and cooked for the 30 mins.

Waste of time and energy preheating.
That makes no sense from a physics point of view. You are undercooking the food

Soldato
That makes no sense from a physics point of view. You are undercooking the food

Not with a fan oven, If I put a pizza in it (from fridge, not frozen), pre-heating to say the reccomended 180c, it will over cook it.

I always disregard pre-heating time, as it just ends up burning stuff, or making it too tough and chewy.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Not with a fan oven, If I put a pizza in it (from fridge, not frozen), pre-heating to say the reccomended 180c, it will over cook it.

I always disregard pre-heating time, as it just ends up burning stuff, or making it too tough and chewy.

I also find some microwave times must go by relics from 90s, if put in full power for that length nuke certain food types.

Soldato
So for single person, or maybe a 2 person household you are saying that the oven is the least efficient option?
If you can heat something via microwave, that will be far cheaper than any other method. That's not to say it will taste as good once its been microwaved though because you cant get anything crispy in a microwave.

If the choice was heating frozen peas/can of beans on the hob or the microwave, its always the microwave for me. Cheaper and faster.

If on the 3 times a year I eat a ready meal and it has something that typically has crispy top (for example a lasagne or mac and cheese), that's in the oven. If its just some curry and rice, that's microwaved. That said, if I was on the breadline and that was dinner, it would be the microwave every time.

Soldato
No I'm not.

Perhaps but I have yet to notice any difference based on my own experiences.
I think it depends on the oven (maybe that guy with the "dodgy" seal :cry:). If we did anything for the recommended time it would just burn, I assume you can get different rated oven powers like you do with microwaves.

Soldato
Pretty sure the texture of pre-processed food would be messed up by not pre-heating oven - but I suppose food is more hygienic(until we submit to yank food quality) and less chance of something like salmonella if it was inadequately cooked.
definitely making sausage toad, baking a cake, pastry ..... would be completely scr****

Microwaves ruin the texture of a lot of from scratch foods - you spend good money on ingredients and then Nuke them, even peas ! they need gentle heat of steaming (with other veg to save energy)

Smart meters & IHD's ... if only they could tell you how much energy the oven, or hob used .

Back
Top Bottom