This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Has anyone got a link to a battery only wiring diagram?

What I'm unclear on is how the switch is made between the grid supplying your home or the battery supplying your home. Must be some sort of contactor device?

Soldato
Is it possible to self install these battery systems?
From what I can tell, yes but

The but being above a certain amount they also need notification since they can have just the same impact as a solar system in regards sending power to the grid when its down and being worked on.
The certification is that its installed so that cannot happen.

I am sure there are people about who will do this themselves never tell anyone etc, the risk comes should something go wrong.

Personally I wouldn't, the cost of the units is a high percentage of the install cost anyway so the gain of going diy and ending up in the grey area is not worth it IMO.

You can get good pricing online for supply and install.
I know there is an important safety requirement for the system to switch off and be isolated from the grid, or have an automatic system that will isolate the house from the grid in the event of a power cut. This I believe has to be certified.

Has anyone got a link to a battery only wiring diagram?

What I'm unclear on is how the switch is made between the grid supplying your home or the battery supplying your home. Must be some sort of contactor device?

Everything I have read says voltage
So solar and local battery are slightly higher voltage and that means it will take precedent over grid

They are installed as a new circuit into your CU/fuse board

Soldato
No, it’s an electrical installation so it needs to be wired in by a qualified electrician or inspected by building regs which will cost more than an electrician.

The assembly can be DIY though.
I'm thinking self install, then get it certified.

Do you have to pay to get a new meter that can handle these different tariff periods?

I use about 3.5 kWh per day on average.

Soldato
I'm thinking self install, then get it certified.

It’s really not a DIY job, particularly as it involves connecting into the consumer unit etc.

By all means buy the unit, get it mounted, run the CT clamps etc but it’s just not responsible to be encouraging anyone who isn’t qualified to go any further.

You are better off just paying an electrician who can self certify to wire it in, it’s cheaper and easier. An electrician can’t certify other peoples work and building regs will want to look at every single connection and cable run, it usually costs as much as just paying someone to do it.

It falls into the category of if you need to ask these sort of questions, don’t touch it.

Soldato
I already pretty much at edge of what I could afford regarding my energy bills and thats with very little waste at home. Also no current debts, all my other households are as low as possible phone/internet etc.

More increases I simply cannot afford there's nowhere I can cut, I need internet for work lol my phone is sim only £15 a month. I don't have any streaming subs. I am pretty frugal with household expenditure (Don't go out these days), my rent is pretty low compared to anywhere else in my city as my landlord is lovely and has not changed our rent for years.

I am looking for jobs right now too but the increase in salary from a job change is still going to be dwarfed/eatenup with the new increases coming in the next few months. I wish I had a fixed deal lmao, the future is looking dire, things will improve for me career/financially wise in the next year or two as I continue my learning etc but this wont help job income in the short term. I just don't earn enough :cry: :cry:.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s really not a DIY job, particularly as it involves connecting into the consumer unit etc.

By all means buy the unit, get it mounted, run the CT clamps etc but it’s just not responsible to be encouraging anyone who isn’t qualified to go any further.

You are better off just paying an electrician who can self certify to wire it in, it’s cheaper and easier. An electrician can’t certify other peoples work and building regs will want to look at every single connection and cable run, it usually costs as much as just paying someone to do it.

It falls into the category of if you need to ask these sort of questions, don’t touch it.

Sorry yeah, what Im getting at is if it just all plugs in together on a frame, then i could do the assembly and plugging in of all the batteries to the controller, and then get someone in to make the connection into the CU. That is if its just a single connection, which is what Im not sure of.

Soldato
Sorry yeah, what Im getting at is if it just all plugs in together on a frame, then i could do the assembly and plugging in of all the batteries to the controller, and then get someone in to make the connection into the CU. That is if its just a single connection, which is what Im not sure of.

I’d expect it also needs CT clamps to hang off the meter tails to measure import/export.

The instructions/data sheet for the system will cover its requirements.

Soldato
I’d expect it also needs CT clamps to hang off the meter tails to measure import/export.

The instructions/data sheet for the system will cover its requirements.
Ok. I need to try and find more information on how the systems actually work. I won't be exporting as Im just thinking the battery storage only with overnight cheap rate charging.

* Do Octopus have to install a new meter for the Go tariff - is this free and are they accepting customers onto that tariff with battery only?
* Do you get the units installed first or get the tariff signed up first?
* How does the unit know when to charge up overnight?
* I take it the meter knows when to switch to the low rate charging?
* Are the batteries powerful enough to supply a 10 kW electric shower unit or an undersink water heater? Trying to think how I could substitute gas consumption.

Soldato
Ok. I need to try and find more information on how the systems actually work. I won't be exporting as Im just thinking the battery storage only with overnight cheap rate charging.

* Do Octopus have to install a new meter for the Go tariff - is this free and are they accepting customers onto that tariff with battery only?
* Are the batteries powerful enough to supply a 10 kW electric shower unit or an undersink water heater? Trying to think how I could substitute gas consumption.
From what I've seen batteries seem to top out at providing 5kw at once. I think that was the tesla powerwall, and most seem to be quite a bit lower than that.

Soldato

• You need a SMETS 2 or a SMETS1 Secure100 Smart meter to join Octo Go. You will probably also need an EV
  • You will need the meter installed first
  • You set the battery charging parameters yourself
  • Not sure what you mean by this question
  • If you are not using any other appliances, with a 3.68 kVA inverter, for the duration of your 10 kW shower you will use approximately 3.68 kVA from the battery, and the remaining 6.32 kVA from the grid.
    I use a solar diverter (MyEnergi Eddi) to heat my water which means I don't use gas.

Soldato
  • You need a SMETS 2 or a SMETS1 Secure100 Smart meter to join Octo Go
  • You will need the meter installed first
If you don't have this already, do they install it for free?

How long are the cheaper night time rates guaranteed for?

The Octopus Go webpage says you need an EV to get the tariff, it doesn't mention home battery storage?

Soldato
If you don't have this already, do they install it for free?

How long are the cheaper night time rates guaranteed for?

Smart meters are installed for 'free' but paid for through everyone's energy bills
There is no guarantee for cheaper off-peak rates. However, they will exist for sometime into the future, as that is the preferred solution to steer people to using energy at lower demand times.

Permabanned
How does it know when to charge up?
Mine has a clamp meter so it detects flow of electricity going back to the grid then the BMS determines wether the battery can accept it or not and at what rate it can charge the battery.

For example.
F1-F88-DF8-A56-B-4-CEE-8880-86-D42-D88-EBB0.png

Permabanned
Smart meters are installed for 'free' but paid for through everyone's energy bills
There is no guarantee for cheaper off-peak rates. However, they will exist for sometime into the future, as that is the preferred solution to steer people to using energy at lower demand times.
I’m still waiting for Octopus to install mine rofl. They were an absolute shambles and the one time i managed to get someone to come look at my meter prior to an install, he just left and I’ve had no contact still to this day. I had to take the day off work for this guy to come into my house and not even an phone call or email to explain why they haven’t or couldn’t install anything.

So be it, it worked out better for me in the end and you’ll never earn a penny from me.

Soldato
I saw a trial of freezer/fridges that were smart, it was to be switched on and off to avoid usage during peak times. Not heard more besides that one off, its possible UK is ok if usage were completely even but its not and any major sporting event like the world cup later this year highlights that, apparently. They can build up reserves ready I guess, cold weather can spike demand.

Topping 4k in January!
+78% in Oct and +10% in Jan is last I read. If Agile Octo is now set to 55p then those two rises still are cheaper vs that peak, it does mean making the most of any 'plunge pricing' then. I've failed to convince people I know on Octopus to do anything, they'd rather take the certainty of SVT. It might be more obvious past Oct, but we dont know whats available at that time but switching early now I guess makes less then sense then the prior 35p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom