This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I was surprised on how much more efficient appliances have become, a report I read recently said white goods are ~40% more efficient than one even a decade ago.

Soldato
Only seems to be vacuum cleaners that are a eu energy farce - dyson - let's make it cordless which seems to obviate responsibility for current during charging, or, power used whilst it works at max power for 15mins; if you have Octopus 5/7.5p you can charge overnight.

Soldato
I was surprised on how much more efficient appliances have become, a report I read recently said white goods are ~40% more efficient than one even a decade ago.

I swapped my 7 year old Samsung 48" for a 2021 Samsung 55" recently. It's using about 100w less in operation. Goes out the window when I play any HDR content though....

Soldato
OP
Totted up my daily reading on remote smart meter - 57 from monday to sunday last proper meter was 60 - All I did was make sure wife turned oven on when we needed it instead of and hour before to warm it up,

I can't decide wether to buy a new fridge/freeze for garage as the one we have is 30yrs old - Are they massively more efficient these days.

Soldato
Totted up my daily reading on remote smart meter - 57 from monday to sunday last proper meter was 60 - All I did was make sure wife turned oven on when we needed it instead of and hour before to warm it up,

I can't decide wether to buy a new fridge/freeze for garage as the one we have is 30yrs old - Are they massively more efficient these days.

Soldato
Spending £700 to save money seems a bit odd. That's a lot of electricity. Wait for your current one to die.
For in your garage you should look at Beko, not many brands other than Beko work well in an unheated room.

Soldato
Best to just stick a cheap energy monitor on it for a month and see how much it is using. Giving the coils on the back a good dust and cleaning the seals will help as well.

Soldato
I got an air fryer yesterday as it was down to £40 in Tesco.

Fancied a snack last night so chucked a handful of frozen fries and scampi in there, done in 10 minutes from switching the machine on.

For stuff like that it seems that it should save an awful lot of power over pre-heating and using an oven.

Caporegime
Nice increase oct
It'll still take quite a few years to pay for itself even if it lives up to the label.

If you want to go down the route of spending capital to save energy there's better value:

Just a random pick. £200 quid cheaper and labelled at 38kWH/annum more, it would pay for itself sooner.

Soldato
I've often wondered if an air fryer or combi microwave might be more efficient than a traditional electric oven/gas hob.

My logic being, yes they will cause a bigger power spike, but are turned on for a far shorter period of time.

Same with hoovers, a 1000w hoover uses more than a 500w hoover, but in theory you'll only be using it for half the time due to the better suction, so theres no efficiency gain or loss there, all else being equal, other than youll; spend more time hoovering with a lower power model.

Back
Top Bottom