This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Permabanned
eiLQuSL.png

Can anyone say for sure that this is available for home battery storage only, because this does not mention it at all?
I thought you needed some kind of proof that you indeed had an ev these days?
Edit it actually says you need an ev to join. You could in theory borrow a mates or place an order to gain an order number then cancel after. Lot of hassle though I guess.

Permabanned
Well then what's the point in even discussing battery systems? Its only worth it if we get the 7.5p overnight rate.
Previously you didn’t need to provide proof of ownership so anyone could just sign up. They obviously wised up to it and decided it wasn’t cost effective to have everyone signing up to a cheap tariff.

If you don't have this already, do they install it for free?

How long are the cheaper night time rates guaranteed for?

The Octopus Go webpage says you need an EV to get the tariff, it doesn't mention home battery storage?

Yeah strictly speaking the go tariff is for Evs, many switched to it without even being asked
When your a customer there is also Go faster which is a newer version allowing 4 or 5 hours (you pick) and across more time bands (again you pick)

Right now Octopus certainly lead the way in offering better tariffs, but eventually the others will catchup else the whole market will want to switch to Octopus ;)

Its certainly a gamble to install a battery first, best bet would be to move to octopus when that makes sense as a normal supplier then try to get on Go.

As someone said above most of the Ev systems are using apps now so you would set the parameters in your app

It gets used from my understanding as it supplies a slightly higher voltage so it takes precedence over grid supply.

Output is based on two things, battery and inverter (I think you can get built in inverter versions for battery only install).
Eg the battery I am looking at is 2x 5.8, giving 10.4 usable, one unit a master and the other a slave, can chain upto 3 slaves. As you add slaves as long as you add a higher capacity inverter you can go upto 10kw peak draw. 2 will give me 6kw peak draw in theory but I am having a hybrid inverter that will limit slightly below that as its a hybrid to control convert the AC/DC for the battery and the solar panels

Well then what's the point in even discussing battery systems? Its only worth it if we get the 7.5p overnight rate.

Well you did kind of jump in and you never asked about other requirements.

The Solar installer who visited me Thursday said one of his work collegues just switched as he told them he had a porsche hybrid and they said ok and switched him like that.
Right now it seems to be a gamble.

Most if not all suppliers have EV schemes / off peak but the octopus one is by far the best one.

I thought that with all the talk of battery storage and payback that there would be tariffs available, but it seems that that is a massive risk.

The only specific one is the Tesla powerwall one. (also with Octopus actually)
But I suggest you would balk at the cost of a tesla powerwall, the vast majority of us do.
Its also not as massive a benefit either in isolation without panels.

Something will come, the strategy is demand pricing long term so they need to get more people to suck up the excess supply when its there and be self sufficient or returning to the grid in peak times.

Weren't you talking of building a large outbuilding? That would be an ideal place to put batteries and have a solar array as you could design the weight in.

Its going to change, but right now its a bit of a lottery in regards some things such as getting onto Go. It used to be they never checked EV ownership but with energy prices they seem to have tightened up somewhat.

Soldato
your other option (right now it's expensive so only for those with cash) is to buy a car with a strong vehicle to home option. the 2022 MG SUV EV can do it tho I believe others have a higher output.

it also gets round the octopus go lottery of if they ask for proof of ev (because it is an EV)

Soldato
Wouldn't a lower wattage kettle make more sense? Mine's 3kw but I'm thinking about a 1kw or lower travel kettle. Takes longer to boil but maybe save on electric...

The energy required doesn't matter, its about how efficient it is at transfering that energy into heat.

Generally speaking though, 3kw will heat up way faster than a 1kw kettle. 3 times faster more likely. So is it any cheaper, well that really does depend on how long it takes. The efficiency in that fast boil thing is that it literally only heats up the water you need and because its only heating a small amount at a time as it flows through, the system can do it relatively quickly.

50s vs 2-3 minutes for a conventional kettle.

Permabanned
Wouldn't a lower wattage kettle make more sense? Mine's 3kw but I'm thinking about a 1kw or lower travel kettle. Takes longer to boil but maybe save on electric...
I have a 1.5kw eco kettle. It’ll use the same amount of electricity overall but the benefit is reduced power draw, which is very handy if you have solar and a battery.

Soldato
Something will come, the strategy is demand pricing long term so they need to get more people to suck up the excess supply when its there and be self sufficient or returning to the grid in peak times.

Weren't you talking of building a large outbuilding? That would be an ideal place to put batteries and have a solar array as you could design the weight in.

Its going to change, but right now its a bit of a lottery in regards some things such as getting onto Go. It used to be they never checked EV ownership but with energy prices they seem to have tightened up somewhat.

Yeah it sounds like its not ideal right now. the savings are there but if the suppliers don't want people on the cheap tariffs or the tariffs for home storage aren't as good, then it wont work. Its not viable for me to get an EV the cost is too high.

Again lack of joined up policy.

Re my outbuilding - yes but it will be at the bottom of the garden mostly under shade unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom