This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
Literally makes no difference for gov pay out, they can't charge you for units you haven't used.

For gas be careful because the meter might be in either kwh or m3 (cubic meters). My smart IHD shows be in kwh, but I need to convert it back to m3 for my readings.
I'm hoping with the new meter it'll never have to worry about meter readings again, just like my electricity.

Associate
These energy bills for businesses do make me wonder. Energy companies are charging consumers 26-45p a unit for electricity but charging businesses several times more than this - in fact several times more than the predicted energy cap in winter. Either they can supply energy across the UK to consumers and businesses alike for roughly the same cost or they can’t.

Also - we’re one of the richest countries in the world and we can’t afford these prices so how are other countries going to cope and if they don’t there will be a massive fall in demand. No one wins there..

V F

V F

Soldato
These energy bills for businesses do make me wonder. Energy companies are charging consumers 26-45p a unit for electricity but charging businesses several times more than this - in fact several times more than the predicted energy cap in winter. Either they can supply energy across the UK to consumers and businesses alike for roughly the same cost or they can’t.

Also - we’re one of the richest countries in the world and we can’t afford these prices so how are other countries going to cope and if they don’t there will be a massive fall in demand. No one wins there..

We're one of the richest countries? You wouldn't think it.

Soldato
Acutally we are not, for a first world country we are down towards the bottom end of the list, people just mistakenly equate the economy size with being rich.

Man of Honour
In some ways businesses are going to need a lot more help than people I think.

Some businesses use a ton of units, and those will really be hurting for cost.

That kind of electricity price increase is going to see mass redundancies in some businesses - that kind of jump will eat their entire profit margin and the only place left to turn really is slashing the wage bill.

Soldato

Other countries pricing will be different

Soldato
Depends. If it's GDP IMF or UN rated we are 5th.

If its GDP per capita we are 27th
GDP per capita is the only acceptable measure here.

Measuring GDP is not that relevant when talking about the wealth of the population, a big GDP can mean you have a lot of people but they are all poor still.

Caporegime
Acutally we are not, for a first world country we are down towards the bottom end of the list, people just mistakenly equate the economy size with being rich.

We are of equal to France. Italy and Spain, are both behind us. Only Germany out of the larger countries are above. You cannot really compare small countries either as our elderly skew the results.

Soldato
GDP per capita is the only acceptable measure here.

Measuring GDP is not that relevant when talking about the wealth of the population, a big GDP can mean you have a lot of people but they are all poor still.
Wasn't suggesting otherwise, just wanted to clarify what people see when they Google richest countries etc.

I'm in agreement, considering our wealth as a whole, per capita we are pretty low. But it is similar with countries such as Canada and France.

A large % of the countries above have other influnce. Cause lets be honest Ireland is 5th in GDP per capita, that's cause its a company tax haven.

But GDP is a measure of income in effect, not wealth
Over time of course higher GDP per head means the country is richer, but what really matters is the income at all levels not the GDP per head if there is significant distribution disparity
Our issue is mainly distribution of wealth and income.
You also need to consider GDP PPP really and not simple GDP (PPP adjusts for cost of living)
For extreme version see Saudi GDP PPP per head and their distribution. They rank 1 above us in regards GDP PPP, and yet the wealth divide is massive.

Wealth per adult

Take note of the gini coefficient for demonstration of UK being quite similar to most western nations, but not as close to silly high numbers as USA and Saudi (and Russia, particularly high as you would expect)

Soldato
Either they can supply energy across the UK to consumers and businesses alike for roughly the same cost or they can’t.

They can't, that's the whole point. Businesses are being charged market rate; the only reason domestic customers aren't is because there is an artificial cap in place, forcing them to sell at a loss.

Soldato
yes of course they're not selling at a loss ... ofgen demanded/enforced more resilience (hedged/pre-purchase) after the companies went under

if yesterdays liverpool council take-over is anything to go by their commercial energy was cheaper than cap

In May it was revealed that a series of calamitous errors at the city council had led to huge additional costs in terms of the local authority's energy bills as well as the bills of city schools and the local fire service who were part of the same deal.
The remarkable run of mistakes included officers not informing city leaders that the council's electricity provider Scottish Power had withdrawn from the commercial market before a new deal was agreed. As such the council was inadvertently placed onto the company's standard rate deal - which could cost the city an extra £16m in bills.
The council believes the financial impact of the decision equates to an increase in energy costs from £10.6m to £26m.

Associate
In an effort to support the move towards a more environmentally friendly, clean, limitless source of power, I believe the UK may be uniquely situated to take advantage of a yet-unconsidered natural resource we have.

May I present to you... The <To be determined>

image.png

We just need a catchy name for it, Any suggestions? :confused:

:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom