This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Agile is all about when.
If your a heavy user in 4-7pm then no

If you can avoid most usage at that time then quite possibly a good move

Are you an octopus customer, if so check out

You can look at history and compare your consumption (very top left)
that link is interesting but i dont think it works for me....... i am on intelligent octopus and it thinks my average kwh cost is quite high. does it support intelligent octopus when it gives out of normal tarif shedules or does it just assume 28p or what ever 5:30-23:30 and 7.5p 23:30-5:30?

for instance in january here is a very obvious one. With that high use it would have involved me charging my car.......... which means the lions share of that would have been at 7.5pkwh. there is no way it would have cost me £11.84

DateConsumption (kWh)Your tariff average (p)Agile average (p)Your tariff cost (£)Agile cost (£)
14/01/202446.5325.1518.1711.847.72

Last edited:
that link is interesting but i dont think it works for me....... i am on intelligent octopus and it thinks my average kwh cost is quite high. does it support intelligent octopus when it gives out of normal tarif shedules or does it just assume 28p or what ever 5:30-23:30 and 7.5p 23:30-5:30?

for instance in january here is a very obvious one. With that high use it would have involved me charging my car.......... which means the lions share of that would have been at 7.5pkwh. there is no way it would have cost me £11.84

DateConsumption (kWh)Your tariff average (p)Agile average (p)Your tariff cost (£)Agile cost (£)

I think it just gives you your tariff average, I did mine myself in excel when looking but its hard to take account of how your behaviour would/could change
So I think its an ok estimate if your on a standard type tariff but pretty iffy if already on a smart TOU tariff

Soldato
Did you find a source for the claim that you are funding the infrastructure yet?

Did I say that? Cant seem to remember saying that. I'm sure you can help me out there :confused: but its funny... In my head I put money on it being you that brings my "subsidising" post up so you didnt disappoint. :cry:

EDIT - What I may have said is that certain regions pay more than others and that these regions also produce the bulk of the electric for the lower SC paying regions who use it. If you can point to the bit that's incorrect there, I am all ears

Last edited:
Soldato
So the octopus compare tool is crap and doesn't remember your usage profile across the day to accurately tell you what cost with other tarifs would have been
- like I'd suggested

Associate
Agile is all about when.
If your a heavy user in 4-7pm then no

If you can avoid most usage at that time then quite possibly a good move

Are you an octopus customer, if so check out

You can look at history and compare your consumption (very top left)

Thanks for this - based on the comparison link it said I would have saved 42-46% over the last 4 months, so I've signed up

Associate
So the octopus compare tool is crap and doesn't remember your usage profile across the day to accurately tell you what cost with other tarifs would have been
- like I'd suggested
You talking about this octopus compare or something else?

4wunwv1.jpeg

Soldato
- like I'd suggested
I wouldn't say crap.... just not intelligent enough to deal with intelligent octopus.

for agile or SVR or tracker i guess it works

Soldato
Think i've asked this a while back but don't remember getting a response.

Anyone here gone from E.ON to Octopus? If so, has your energy bill dropped at all? I'm currently doing gas and electric through E.ON.

Soldato
You talking about this octopus compare or something else?
yes that one ..
so if you compare across multiple days ie week or month. will it give you the total for both Agile & tracker, by calculating the sumfor each tarif having compared those historic days individually. ?

in the excerpt bigmike included - agile average * consumption != agile cost ?

Associate
bigmike is refering to the compare feature in the agile portal which yes, is hot garbage with its average on smart tariffs!

In the Octopus Compare app it does as you asked, it calcs the price per half hour as you would have consumed it on either tariff (you can add intelligent go, flux etc) for each day. For weekly/monthly it adds those individual days together to produce your weekly/monthly comparison price. It is accurate :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Did I say that? Cant seem to remember saying that. I'm sure you can help me out there :confused: but its funny... In my head I put money on it being you that brings my "subsidising" post up so you didnt disappoint. :cry:

EDIT - What I may have said is that certain regions pay more than others and that these regions also produce the bulk of the electric for the lower SC paying regions who use it. If you can point to the bit that's incorrect there, I am all ears
Because this idea that you are subsidising the south seems to have no basis in fact. So I just asked for you to back it up. Fact is the supply infrastructure in regions is not the same and that is the point, you actually seem to be asking for other reasons to subsidise your higher costs rather than the other way round.

Soldato
Because this idea that you are subsidising the south seems to have no basis in fact. So I just asked for you to back it up. Fact is the supply infrastructure in regions is not the same and that is the point, you actually seem to be asking for other reasons to subsidise your higher costs rather than the other way round.

Hmmm... I'm not sure you read what I wrote properly. I put the word subsidise in quotes and even explicitly stated why I put it in quotes as I can't think of a better word i.e. a more accurate word isn't coming to mind. I then went on to try and explain what I meant. So to pass off an OPINION as if I am stating facts and asking for proof is a little off but you do you.

Back
Top Bottom