This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I have no idea how this won't lead to the beginning of civil unrest. How the **** are people supposed to survive like this, and how bad does it get?

Never mind the economic stagnation when nobody is buying goods anymore and can only afford necessities, will just make everything worse.

Is this the roaring 20s they told us about?
Yes, but nobody realised they meant the 1820's.

Soldato
I ordered 1000l of heating oil on Saturday - I'd been hoping things would calm down over in Ukraine but decided on Saturday it wasn't getting better, so got my order in before prices went up further (which seems like a decent call now).

I only have six years of price data as that's when we moved to our current house and went from gas to oil

3YDrrL2l.png.jpg

Associate
Thats what worries me. At work we have had a discussion that this country is in a recession but it doesnt know it is yet. We think once all the price increases and interest rate rises bite by summer then the majority of peoples disposable income will vanish and the economy will plummet.

Already the number of businesses going bust is rising dramatically as they cant handle the price increases/shortage of labour.

I can see this being the worst recession of my life.

Our economic model is built on kicking the can down the road as many times as possible by flooding the markets with cheap debt and hoping that the numbers just keep going up, which will delay recessions but make them more painful when they hit. I would argue that we never really recovered from the credit crunch, given that government debt took off in the aftermath and hasn't looked back since.
I've gave up moaning about loose monetary policy years ago though. No one wants to hear about it until their own wallet suffers. It's also one of the big reasons why I stopped voting years ago - truly important issues like that are off the table.

/rant

Soldato
But this is the future that our illustrious Brexit-willing nationalites wanted.

Ahhh, lets hit this one on the head, it's got nothing to so with Brexit and everything to do with generations of idiot NIMBY's not wanting anything related to do with electricity generation on their doorstep, whether its renewable as windmill farms, nuclear power stations or fracking. Now this is where we are because we have to rely on Russian gas

Don
Ahhh, lets hit this one on the head, it's got nothing to so with Brexit and everything to do with generations of idiot NIMBY's not wanting anything related to do with electricity generation on their doorstep, whether its renewable as windmill farms, nuclear power stations or fracking. Now this is where we are because we have to rely on Russian gas

Our gas imports from Russia are ~ 3%. However the UK generated natural gas is sold to the UK at global market rates (because Privatisation / Capitalism, yay!)

Soldato
The UK dosent rely on Russian gas.

Commissario
Enough now, and I mean it. I will not have another thread completely ruined by you know what. Keep it on topic and consider yourselves warned.
Quoting this again, any more chat about the B word and you'll have a holiday (probably to Ukraine)

Soldato
I have no idea how this won't lead to the beginning of civil unrest. How the **** are people supposed to survive like this, and how bad does it get?

Never mind the economic stagnation when nobody is buying goods anymore and can only afford necessities, will just make everything worse.

Is this the roaring 20s they told us about?
The 1970's were far worse, but people weren't so needy then.

Soldato
We're in the process of having a multifuel stove fitted in our front room, obviously the initial cost of having the stove put in is a fair cost, but I feel much happier about paying for wood / bricketts than the crazy fuel prices that will hit next winter.
My direct debit this year has gone up from a £89 a month up to £140 it's crazy.
I thought it was a load of bull when it was first reported that people were choosing between food and heating but now I see it.
Cost of wood and smokeless fuel is going up too.

Soldato
Consumerism is going to take a nosedive, and it'll back to the glory days of trying to keep a roof over your head and food on the table for a lot of people.

Soldato
My direct debit is increasing from 140 to 270, joy!

This might actually be the breaking point of the country, either that or more people will just rig their meters.

My standing charge is doubling for electric, how is that justified?

Soldato
OP
On top of the £700 oil bill- I have also forked out at least £500 on logs over this last year and that is just for a small log burner -Some of that though is stored to dry for next winter if we are all here then.

At my old house I had a Clearview 700 and put a boiler in that -It did use a lot of logs with only 5 rads -There was also the oil boiler running at least 8 more rads - In those days I was being give wood - I also remember paying £70 for 4 ton tipper load from the new bridge they built at Ironbridge (replaced old bridge)

The trouble is inflation has gone way above the average persons income and it's hitting hard- It's not as though it's gone up slowly.

Man of Honour
My energy fixed price ends on 31st May and I've just been looking around today. We currently pay around £165/month but the best price I can get is £310/month. That's an increase of £1740/year, practically doubling our current cost.

It's not ridiculous, it's criminal.

I've just let it roll over to the SVT which will be cheaper than any fixed deal out there. In fact I went to see what others offered and they even suggested "we don't advise you switch to us - you're better off on your current supplier's SVT". I checked with an industry expert who concurred, for now it's the best bet. Otherwise it's over £300 per month for dual fuel. :(

Back
Top Bottom