This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
We're increasing our electricity unit rate from 21.547p to 29.484p per kWh and electricity standing charge from 24.027p to 41.660p per day.
Bulb want to increase my monthly payments by £30.

I am electric only in a 2 bed flat so I am no doubt benefiting from that a little.

Soldato
£40 gas and £40 electricity per month - £960 a year for our energy needs. (4 people house)

How are people spending 1500-2000 a year :confused:
That's very cheap for a family of four, under the new prices I am paying more than that in a normal sized flat and if I was on the variable tariff I'd be paying even more.

Soldato
is it worth shopping around or just staying put? i'm with bulb and had the letter explaining price rises.

given everyone is doing it, is there any point to looking at alternatives?
I did a quote via MSE Energy Club and was quoted a near 1k increase so I am going to stick it out with Bulb I think as they are only estimating a £30 increase and we are arguably coming out of the winter so wont even have the heating on much for a few months now.

Don
£40 gas and £40 electricity per month - £960 a year for our energy needs. (4 people house)

Are you on a fixed tariff from sometime in 2021 or 2020 though? My rates with Pure in May 2021 were 13p/kWh electricity and 2.5p/kWh gas with a standing charge of 20p/day each.

As you can see from other posts in the thread, the SVR rates are now 28p/kWh electricity and 7.4p/kWh gas with a standing charge of 48p and 27p /day

That's a 2x or 3x increase from any fixed tariffs that were available last year.

Don
Day Rate 33p
Night Rate 19.5p
SC 38p per day
Annual usage Night 5000kWh Day 3400kWh
Annual costs £2235.70
That's how lol

I'm guessing storage heaters or something then? Your day usage is almost identical to my day AND night usage combined for the year, let alone the 5000kWh on top for night!

Dam man that's mad.

Gas is pay card top up thing
Leccy is standing order for £40 a month and actual usage is around 38-45 quid a month

House is energy rated B
It doesn't sound that mad to me. We used to pay about £160 a month, but thanks to smart heating, and having the thermo down a little more than we probably should, our bill was reduced to £135 per month, which works out £1600 a year, while trying to be as sensible as we can. Lights aren't on in rooms we aren't in. Heating only goes to 17c in morning and then only 21c in evening only in the lounge, 19c kitchen, bedroom off and only on for a 30 minutes boost right before bed and that's only to add 1/2c.

I don't see how people can be spending only £80 a month for both. Granted we live in a 3 bed house, but our hallway, wc, 2 spare rooms are totally off.

Soldato
£150 current monthly. I have been offered.

£180 variable rate
£380 1 year fixed rate !

Guess it's time to go with the variable rate

Soldato
£380 per month 1 year fixed

Plan rates
Electricity
Unit rate:
40.56p/kWh
Standing charge:
38.77p/day
Gas
Unit rate:
11.28p/kWh
Standing charge:
27.52p/day

Vs

Variable rate £180

Plan rates
Electricity
Unit rate:
20.86p/kWh
Standing charge:
24.01p/day
Gas
Unit rate:
4.05p/kWh
Standing charge:
26.11p/day

Last edited:
Caporegime

Everyone is paying different prices per unit and standing charge, some significantly more or less than others depending on which way you want to look at it.

What's your annual usage of gas and electricity in kWh please?

Soldato
Why should we have to pay the credit balances, let the shareholders pay! I think the standing charge increase is to keep the profits rolling in when customers start to use less fuel.

A few of us think this is silly, I posted some idea's moving forward and also contacted my MP. I suggest anyone unhappy about the credit balance tax should contact their MP to increase the chance of ofgem regulation changes.

It seems based on the responses to my post, a lot of people are uncomfortable paying for what they use and instead are happy to have credit balances for the bulk of the time (some customers are in credit by several hundred pounds all year round), and the problem with this system is if the company goes bust, then the money is flushed down the drain, and this system is designed to prevent individual consumers from losing out.

I personally think we should go back to traditional ways of credit accounts, which is you pay for your usage when the quarterly bill arrives. No credit balance, means no subsidies to recover lost balances.

Compromise solutions could be raised in parliament such as making static DD optional over variable DD, but consumer has no consumer protection if company goes bust, or using an intermediate government agency to hold credit balances, so if company goes bust the money is still there, this idea seems the best one, as those opposed to my original ideas seemed happy with this one. This one really should have been done from the day the static DD consumer protection idea was drawn up, but sadly regulation authors seem to often lack foresight.

Soldato
If it was publically owned nothing would change, it would just be people complaining about gov fat cats making large bonuses and selling consultancy contracts to their mates and it would probably be ran worse than any company right now. Plus if you didnt like how they treated you or the increases in the prices then you couldnt just up and leave them to a rival.

Profit margins are notoriously low in the energy market too, i think i saw the other day that our profit per residential customer is £20 a year currently. If that customer calls us or emails us onceor twice it wipes out the profit for that customer and turns to a loss.

It depends.

State owned entities can be run in a not for profit mode, meaning you get an immediate gain of not having to worry about shareholders, in addition they realistically wont go into liquidation so things like losing credit balances wont be a problem. A lot of the proper energy companies also have a place in the wholesale market, meaning the retail level profits are misleading, e.g. Centrica a wholesaler owns British Gas, they will routinely juggle costs between the two companies to manipulate profits and loss.

Soldato
There is no way to avoid paying this.
There isn't really any way things would be different.

The price cap only delays the price rises and smooths out the peaks and troughs.

Public, private, cap or no cap at end of the day the net result is the same

I do wonder how many would have fixed last October off Martin Lewis didn't say 'don't'
Like mortgages people naturally want to fix. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But at least you know if you can afford it.

I think a lot more would have fixed.

What happens if you cant afford the fix but can afford the cap? A lot are attacking Martin, but I seem to remember he dither and dithered, waited till the last moment to tell people to go SVR, and by the time he said it, I dont remember there been decent fix deals around, if anything he said it too late.

At the time people were posting the last good 2 year deal on here, Martin was yet to make that recommendation.

But I do agree, people will prefer to be ripped of on a fix, than save money on a SVR. As most people seem extremely risk averse.

Back
Top Bottom