This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
The way I see it is that Labour are on very thin ice and even if they did have a plan for something they would have to be very careful what they say because if they say the wrong thing they are finished for good and they know that. If they lose more seats in the 2024 election they are done. No more Labour, so they will probably not be saying anything about things that could do to pull the UK out from the mess.

Soldato
Why do some people constantly blame everything on Brexit and the Tories? Brexit is a factor. But compared to a worldwide energy price hike, potential global food shortages, a recent pandemic and war in Europe it's a relatively small one.

You are right on the sentiment, but not on the pandemic example there, since the OBR forecasts put Brexit inflicting about twice the economic damage Covid has done.

Man of Honour
The way I see it is that Labour are on very thin ice and even if they did have a plan for something they would have to be very careful what they say because if they say the wrong thing they are finished for good and they know that. If they lose the 2024 election they are done. No more Labour, so they will probably not be saying anything about things that could do to pull the UK out from the mess.

Thats a touch convenient though isnt it. Its the "we have a plan that will work and solve things but we cant tell you...its a secret....shhh! Oh no, we cant possibly say what it is and how it will work but trust us (because Politicians are clearly highly trustable :D ) we do really and it will all be fine, just vote for us and then we'll tell you the plan afterwards...teehee"

Soldato
Opposition politicians are all negativity (this is wrong, he is doing that wrong, she is making huge mistakes, the government has messed up here and here etc) and they never seem to get forced to actually say what they would do differently and precisely how and why their way will work.
Totally agree.

Associate
Thats a touch convenient though isnt it. Its the "we have a plan that will work and solve things but we cant tell you...its a secret....shhh! Oh no, we cant possibly say what it is and how it will work but trust us (because Politicians are clearly highly trustable :D ) we do really and it will all be fine, just vote for us and then we'll tell you the plan afterwards...teehee"
I'm not saying Labour are perfect they are far from it but they are the best we have and miles better than the Tories who only represent the rich. Labour represents everybody. Labour are a lot more trustable than the Tories.

Soldato
Opposition politicians are all negativity (this is wrong, he is doing that wrong, she is making huge mistakes, the government has messed up here and here etc) and they never seem to get forced to actually say what they would do differently and precisely how and why their way will work.

That's just the way the system is set up though. The role of the party of opposition is there to hold the current Govt to account, not to say what they would specifically do. It would be a waste of their time and resources to keep coming up with manefesto level pledges on everything that happens through a term, when there is nothing they can do about it or even present to the public to be voted on. It's no different to when Labour were in and the Tories were in opoosition.

But when election time comes around, that's when opposition parties put forward their plans for the next election cycle. So hate the game, not the player :p

And in answer to what Labour would likely do different to the Tories, is basically put in more support for the poorer sections of society. But as a nation we generally don't like that, except when the middle classes suddenly become the poorer sections of society ;)

Man of Honour
I'm not saying Labour are perfect they are far from it but they are the best we have and miles better than the Tories who only represent the rich. Labour represents everybody. Labour are a lot more trustable than the Tories.

I've yet to see proof in my lifetime (having seen 50 years of various governments) that Labour are the best we have. Certainly if Diane Abbott is an example of the best we have then we are all doomed :D , I've equally in all those decades yet to see practical proof that Labour represents everybody and I have 100% not seen evidence that Labour are a lot more trustable than the Tories (trustable and politician , of any party, is not a combination of words I would ever use)

Soldato
Well thats slightly different to the person that I was talking to, the desire of the guy you mention is to improve things, irrespective of the party involved. The desire of the person I was talking to is for the Tories to not be around, hence my saying that dislike of a party isnt enough to instigate change. It has to be instigated because of solid reasoning and reasoning can only come from a provided workable alternative and that alternative has to be shown and detailed. The "how would you do it differently" question is one that I always wish interviewers would push more at politicians. Opposition politicians are all negativity (this is wrong, he is doing that wrong, she is making huge mistakes, the government has messed up here and here etc) and they never seem to get forced to actually say what they would do differently and precisely how and why their way will work.

Yeah, I've always noticed this about our political system. It's never about saying what you're going to do right, it's about what the other party is doing wrong. It's basically just a bunch of schoolkids in the playground shouting at each other:

"you're ****"
"no you're ****"
"yeah, but you're more ****"
etc...

Coupled with what @Puzzled says about short-termism; no political party is going to invest in something which isn't going to bring benefits until 10 years down the line, because that won't win them the election in 3 years.

Soldato
Next to nothing and it’s not part of the energy bill anyway. The DWP pay it as part of their state pension.

The warms home discount is part of the bill and is means tested already.

Next to nothing and it’s not part of the energy bill anyway. The DWP pay it as part of their state pension.

The warms home discount is part of the bill and is means tested already.

What do you think about the windfall tax labour are proposing? Tories argument is that it will put off the companies investing in the North sea?

Associate
I've yet to see proof in my lifetime (having seen 50 years of various governments) that Labour are the best we have. Certainly if Diane Abbott is an example of the best we have then we are all doomed :D , I've equally in all those decades yet to see practical proof that Labour represents everybody and I have 100% not seen evidence that Labour are a lot more trustable than the Tories (trustable and politician , of any party, is not a combination of words I would ever use)

For every Diane Abbott there's a failing Grayling or "pork markets" Truss. I doubt there's a single party that doesn't reward incompetence at least some of the time.

Back
Top Bottom