This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
Interesting one this morning, my sister is with EON and has DD set up and all is well.

OVO Energy has had other plans, a completely unknown and OTT payment for £280 odd has gone out, she's not with OVO and they have no idea who she is as she isn't a customer.

Is this likely a scam? God knows where they'd have got her bank details either... Anyone experienced similar?

Soldato
My smart meter continues to consistently spit out readings circa 30-40% below my old meter, it does make me wonder how many meters out there are not accurate.

Soldato
Where are you renting my friend! Our mortgage is not that large and we pay just under £1000/month. A house like this would probably be £1600-2000/month to rent. If energy prices rise to even half our mortgage a month there would literally be a national crisis and rioting.

Wow £1000 a month is mental and certainly is large to me. My 2 bed mortgage is at £354 and that is costing enough, if it raised to £550 I would struggle to pay bills on top of all the other outgoing rises. To rent this house whole would be £950-£1000 though. Rent is mental but you must have a large home/large mortgage for that sort of figure.

Soldato
Interesting one this morning, my sister is with EON and has DD set up and all is well.

OVO Energy has had other plans, a completely unknown and OTT payment for £280 odd has gone out, she's not with OVO and they have no idea who she is as she isn't a customer.

Is this likely a scam? God knows where they'd have got her bank details either... Anyone experienced similar?

She should probably contact bank, if its a DD, the DD policies should allow her to claw it back easily. Report as fraud if necessary.

Soldato
..or the classy move would have been just to have seen my post, interpret as dark humour and move on.
Give over, you came into a thread where people are discussing the troubles that they are facing to gloat. If you want to be act like a **** at least own it when you get called out and don’t try to worm away by classing it as ‘dark humour’.

Soldato
Wow £1000 a month is mental and certainly is large to me. My 2 bed mortgage is at £354 and that is costing enough, if it raised to £550 I would struggle to pay bills on top of all the other outgoing rises. To rent this house whole would be £950-£1000 though. Rent is mental but you must have a large home/large mortgage for that sort of figure.

Yep renting costs more which gives an idea where mortgages are at as most landlords are not going to let out for less than what they pay bank.

Last edited:
Soldato
96p per litre for heating oil for my son last week, I managed to get a fixed price energy tarrif last week at the pre rise price . I haven't seen any petrol price reduction since the budget maybe it just curtailed ongoing rises.

Soldato

Your mortgage is incredibly cheap for Oxfordshire, I take it you bought a while ago.

The average mortgage payment in the UK is £723, with an interest rate of 2.48%. This is based on the most recent study conducted by Santander in 2018.

This study was based on first-time buyers and the monthly payments are broken down into the following regions:

• London £1,280
  • NI £451
  • North West £537
  • Scotland £510
  • Yorkshire £521
  • West Midlands £596
  • South West £723
  • South East £935
  • Wales £535
  • North East £450
  • East Midlands £577
  • East of England £862
https://www.boonbrokers.co.uk/how-much-does-the-average-mortgage-cost/

Those figures are from 2018 so will be even higher now

Caporegime
96p per litre for heating oil for my son last week, I managed to get a fixed price energy tarrif last week at the pre rise price . I haven't seen any petrol price reduction since the budget maybe it just curtailed ongoing rises.

Seems TGTBT. Who did you switch to last week and what was the name of the tariff?

Associate
/looks at £1450 mortgage payment
/cry

Soldato

It's very easy to set up a direct debit on someone else's account, all you need is sort code, account number and name and those details are all available on your bank card.

Soldato
Your mortgage is incredibly cheap for Oxfordshire, I take it you bought a while ago.

Those figures are from 2018 so will be even higher now

6yr ago but re-mortgaged in Feb this year though to get decent rate for 5yr more. Mortgage is for £101k. The rate is 1.69% for that. House price for the little two bed was £205K. We have to note this little 2 bed is only 64m2 in total size! no garage or anything. It not large place and I brought in the cheapest part of Oxfordshire. The same house in Witney where I moved from was £310k and it only 20miles down road!

If you took London out though the average is £608 which I would say is more reasonable. I also guess it depends if you a single person or a couple sharing. £500 each for a £1k mortgage can be done. Single person that is a huge difference.

/looks at £1450 mortgage payment
/cry

Location and property size though, this is a very small 2 bed terrace for that and I own 50% myself to get mortgage down.

Last edited:
Associate

She isn't, but that situation is a lot more nuanced than it's given credit. EDF in france have a significant amount of nuclear power, which isn't all that much expensive to run today than it was previously. Sure, they have an opportunity cost in not charging a 'market rate', but they also don't have a such a huge increase in costs either to supply in France. It's a very different situation from the UK and our heavier reliance on CCGT power stations where the raw material/fuel is vastly more expensive to buy.

Soldato
I wouldn't worry, he doesn't like it when it's someone else he deems to be gloating so meh... :cry:
Give over, you came into a thread where people are discussing the troubles that they are facing to gloat. If you want to be act like a **** at least own it when you get called out and don’t try to worm away by classing it as ‘dark humour’.

Give over. I think I'll troll through the motors and homes forum looking for people who show off their 60k audis and million quid homes and label them as crass and blatantly showing off.

Soldato
She isn't, but that situation is a lot more nuanced than it's given credit. EDF in france have a significant amount of nuclear power, which isn't all that much expensive to run today than it was previously. Sure, they have an opportunity cost in not charging a 'market rate', but they also don't have a such a huge increase in costs either to supply in France. It's a very different situation from the UK and our heavier reliance on CCGT power stations where the raw material/fuel is vastly more expensive to buy.

State ownership may have played a part in that extra nuclear power been online yes/no?

• France derives about 70% of its electricity from nuclear energy, due to a long-standing policy based on energy security.
  • Government policy, set under a former administration in 2014, aimed to reduce nuclear's share of electricity generation to 50% by 2025. This target was delayed in 2019 to 2035.
  • In February 2022 France announced plans to build six new reactors and to consider building a further eight.

https://world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-a-f/france.aspx

Back
Top Bottom