This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
No, because the supply requires sufficient capacity and diversity.

I think you are mistaking ehat i am posting as my opinion, when i am simply summarizing the current industry state of the aet and the models created by energy department and research institutions across the world..

You are advocating it though, wind already accounts for around 1/3 of UK generation so any more doesn't satisfy diversity. You don't believe in nuclear and you see it as feasible that it can be done with only wind, solar and batteries? How do you propose to make up the other 15% currently from nuclear and 35% from fossil fuels (mainly gas) with a bit more wind and solar (at this latitude)? Going 40% wind, 40% solar or any other combination of this is not diverse at all and will lead to problems unless you over spec everything by huge margins and spend inordinate amounts on batteries.

Caporegime
No i would say you are incorrect that its not the first commerical fast breeder (thats Russian the BN-600 in use since 1981) heck the UK had a working `prototype` call PFR at Dounraey since 1976

Prototypes aren't really here nor there, that's like saying the Chicago pile was a commercial reactor.

Anyway we seem to be in agreement that it's innovative and not plagiaristic as was suggested.

You are advocating it though, wind already accounts for around 1/3 of UK generation so any more doesn't satisfy diversity. You don't believe in nuclear and you see it as feasible that it can be done with only wind, solar and batteries? How do you propose to make up the other 15% currently from nuclear and 35% from fossil fuels (mainly gas) with a bit more wind and solar (at this latitude)? Going 40% wind, 40% solar or any other combination of this is not diverse at all and will lead to problems unless you over spec everything by huge margins and spend inordinate amounts on batteries.

Not to mention that we will have to generate a massive amount of extra electrical power to replace petrol in vehicles.

Soldato
Prototypes aren't really here nor there, that's like saying the Chicago pile was a commercial reactor.

Anyway we seem to be in agreement that it's innovative and not plagiaristic as was suggested.

No i didnt say that , do not assume. The Chinese are working with the Russians and are basing the design of the BN-1200, itself a development from the BN-800, which is in commercial operation. So again i refute your assertion that China is the first, with its yet unfinish CFR-600. As for your `hand waving ` that prototypes are here or there, then buy your own words, China re neither here nor there, as the CFR-600 is a prototype for the actual commerical scale CFR-1000

China begins building pilot fast reactor - World Nuclear News (world-nuclear-news.org)

Caporegime
Quite a lot of disadvantaged households in my local Facebook group. There seems quite a movement growing to just cancel DD and not pay.

What happens if you have nothing (ie you'll never need a credit rating) and you just don't pay? Because I feel this might actually start occurring more

Soldato
What happens if you have nothing (ie you'll never need a credit rating) and you just don't pay? Because I feel this might actually start occurring more
They will just put you on a pay as you go prepayment meter, which means you manually need to add credit to get energy.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Quite a lot of disadvantaged households in my local Facebook group. There seems quite a movement growing to just cancel DD and not pay.

Is this a classic "idiots on facebook" situation where one of them has decided that their mates cousin works for the leccy company and they aren't allowed to cut you off so there is nothing they can do and you won't have to pay. As others have said, if you can't be trusted to pay your bills they will just put you on a pre-pay meter and you will pay more and waste your time going to the shop every few days to top it up.

Caporegime
Is this a classic "idiots on facebook" situation where one of them has decided that their mates cousin works for the leccy company and they aren't allowed to cut you off so there is nothing they can do and you won't have to pay. As others have said, if you can't be trusted to pay your bills they will just put you on a pre-pay meter and you will pay more and waste your time going to the shop every few days to top it up.

Get the feeling most of this lot are on that.

There are people genuinely interested in bypassing the meter
And just not paying

"they can't do this to us"
"If enough of us don't pay we'll be OK"

Some of these people claim to be using 10+ pounds a day in elec alone even after cutting back.

Soldato
I think the only supply that can't be cut off is water (but I could be wrong...)
I grew up with my mum sticking 50p in the meter, shocking that it looks like we are going back to those days for a lot of people.

Soldato
my comment extended outside of the domain of reactors into battery technology - where I think the likes of panasonic(with tesla complicity) and samunsg(korea) have given technoloogy to china - maybe the recompense of the natural resources they have is adequate, but I'm doubtful ... our long term security.

Back
Top Bottom