This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Hi all, I wonder if anyone could offer some advice or point me to somewhere I can get some.

So, my fixed price contact ends later this month with Eon and u have been offered 3 new options, 1 flex contract and 2 fixed. I'm unsure whether it's best to continue on a fixed contract which with be more expensive per month or go on a flex contract which per month at the moment would be cheaper.

How can I work out what the best approach is?

Many thanks.

Here's the info I can see, is this what's needed? Thanks

Current Ends 23/4 - Currently paying £210.00 a month
Electricity - 16.60 p/kWh 18.90 p/day - Usage 5,419kWh
Gas - 2.91 p/kWh 17.43 p/day - Usage 8,637kWh

Next Flex - £204.71 a month
Electricity - 29.24p per kWh 37.92p per day
Gas - 7.34p per kWh 27.22p per day

Next Online v13 - £283.34
Electricity - 41.81p per kWh 37.92p per day
Gas - 10.38p per kWh 27.22p per day

Next 1 Year v10 - £340.20
Electricity - 48.29p per kWh 39.00p per day
Gas - 14.40p per kWh 21.58p per day

Assuming that's annual usage, then sticking your usage and rates in my spreadsheet shows you are currently overpaying by 100%, and your monthly payment should be closer to £106.96.

The new prices they have given are accurate for that usage.

Associate
Assuming that's annual usage, then sticking your usage and rates in my spreadsheet shows you are currently overpaying by 100%, and your monthly payment should be closer to £106.96.

The new prices they have given are accurate for that usage.

So basically we switched with uSwitch 2 years ago, but as I found out after the first year, uSwitch seems to base their deals on the house rather than previous usage meaning our monthly payment wasn't paying off the bill and Eon increased it to 210£ a month to clear it (couldn't change it) we are currently in credit by around £300.

So what plan should I take?

Thanks.

Caporegime
Here's the info I can see, is this what's needed? Thanks

Current Ends 23/4 - Currently paying £210.00 a month
Electricity - 16.60 p/kWh 18.90 p/day - Usage 5,419kWh
Gas - 2.91 p/kWh 17.43 p/day - Usage 8,637kWh

Next Flex - £204.71 a month
Electricity - 29.24p per kWh 37.92p per day
Gas - 7.34p per kWh 27.22p per day

Next Online v13 - £283.34
Electricity - 41.81p per kWh 37.92p per day
Gas - 10.38p per kWh 27.22p per day

Next 1 Year v10 - £340.20
Electricity - 48.29p per kWh 39.00p per day
Gas - 14.40p per kWh 21.58p per day

Next Online v13 you'll pay £3,400.08 over the year (is this a 12 month fixed tariff?)

Next 1 Year v10 you'll pay £4,082.40 over the year.

I assume Next Flex is the Standard Variable Tariff (SVT) and subject to the price cap. Assuming you change on 1 May you'll pay five months at £204.71 (£1023.55) unit 1 October when the new price cap kicks in.

Your cheapest alternative tariff is £3,400.08 so deduct £1,023.55 and you'll have to pay £2,376.53 on the SVT to break even. That's £339.50/month or 65.8% more than £204.71.

The price cap would have to rise by more than 65.8% in October for you to better off than going onto the SVT.

Soldato
A 50% saving is not a small scale change here and there for most people. Thats a massive and probably unachievable change for most in the UK. We could get nowhere near that unless we didn't drive to a lot of things i.e we didn't do a lot of things. I would wager most people are the same.

When I am talking micro vs macro I mean that someone in the UK saving 10% off their already 66% lower energy usage vs their US counterpart means that they might go from lets say 3.3 down to 3 whereas an American cutting down an easy 20% probably just by using a car that gets more than 3MPG would make a massively larger difference going from 10 -> 8. If a company is looking to save a lot of money they don't ask people not to use too many pens, they cut business class flights and expensive client meals and get smaller offices. You target the big spends first and then you worry about micro optimising.

I'm sure there are some people who have huge carbon footprints in the UK but they are unlikely to cut back or care because they are likely rich. Most of us don't have that much fat to trim which is why I am saying that trying to get people in the UK to cut their emissions / usage a lot is silly when countries like the US are still really really bad.

Things like leaving lights on and boiling a full kettle 5 times a day and running washing machine daily, turning off all appliances at wall when not in use, making sure the Fridge is clean and not on a setting it doesn't need to be and such forth are all things that can be cut back easy enough and have a huge impact where it could be 2-3kWh a day saving still, so yes if the average is 8-10kWh then okay it not exactly 50% but it still a decent amount.

So you multiply that by a few million people and over a year it is still a huge saving. Why does what anyone else do have any bearing on what I should do. It is very short sighted to just say well they don't care, why should I. Our office has changed policy on heating, coffee machine, dishwasher use and such forth introduced because of the changes. Changes to making sure all PC's are actually off and if it is left on without justifiable reason a written warning for instance because it is something we should be doing.

Lots of people have a larger than they expect carbon footprint because they just don't realise what the impact of some things are. Our own UK policy should not be dictated by another country. If we did that then you could also compare to a country that has way less emissions and usage than ours and then say well surely we should be matching them because it is silly we are using so much energy when others aren't? Surely stepping in the right direction and just being conscious to think about the usage is what we should be doing.

If we are being conservative about the figure at 1kWh per household a day out of 27.8 million households saved then that is 27.8GWh a day saved! So in a year that saving is 10,147GWh. That is £2,820,866,000.00 a year saved. Or that is 8.5 Billion US pounds of CO2 saved.

If you used your 0.3kWh which is still well below what could on average be saved in my view that is still 3044.1GWh a year saved. Or in monies terms would be £846,259.800.00 a year saving for the UK households. Or 2.55 Billion US pounds of CO2 saved.

Soldato
Things like leaving lights on and boiling a full kettle 5 times a day and running washing machine daily, turning off all appliances at wall when not in use, making sure the Fridge is clean and not on a setting it doesn't need to be and such forth are all things that can be cut back easy enough and have a huge impact where it could be 2-3kWh a day saving still, so yes if the average is 8-10kWh then okay it not exactly 50% but it still a decent amount.

So you multiply that by a few million people and over a year it is still a huge saving. Why does what anyone else do have any bearing on what I should do. It is very short sighted to just say well they don't care, why should I. Our office has changed policy on heating, coffee machine, dishwasher use and such forth introduced because of the changes. Changes to making sure all PC's are actually off and if it is left on without justifiable reason a written warning for instance because it is something we should be doing.

Lots of people have a larger than they expect carbon footprint because they just don't realise what the impact of some things are. Our own UK policy should not be dictated by another country. If we did that then you could also compare to a country that has way less emissions and usage than ours and then say well surely we should be matching them because it is silly we are using so much energy when others aren't? Surely stepping in the right direction and just being conscious to think about the usage is what we should be doing.

If we are being conservative about the figure at 1kWh per household a day out of 27.8 million households saved then that is 27.8GWh a day saved! So in a year that saving is 10,147GWh. That is £2,820,866,000.00 a year saved. Or that is 8.5 Billion US pounds of CO2 saved.

If you used your 0.3kWh which is still well below what could on average be saved in my view that is still 3044.1GWh a year saved. Or in monies terms would be £846,259.800.00 a year saving for the UK households. Or 2.55 Billion US pounds of CO2 saved.

Totally agree with everything, I used to be in the camp of who cares my mindset has changed as has many others, energy concious decisions and progress is a step forward and not something that should be shunned just because other countries aren't contributing.

A large majority of those that are going to struggle with bills will still not be using their appliances and usage sensibly, it's time we started taking more responsibility for it rather than just asking for handouts.

Associate
Next Online v13 you'll pay £3,400.08 over the year (is this a 12 month fixed tariff?)

Next 1 Year v10 you'll pay £4,082.40 over the year.

I assume Next Flex is the Standard Variable Tariff (SVT) and subject to the price cap. Assuming you change on 1 May you'll pay five months at £204.71 (£1023.55) unit 1 October when the new price cap kicks in.

Your cheapest alternative tariff is £3,400.08 so deduct £1,023.55 and you'll have to pay £2,376.53 on the SVT to break even. That's £339.50/month or 65.8% more than £204.71.

The price cap would have to rise by more than 65.8% in October for you to better off than going onto the SVT.

Yes those fixed ones are 12 months tariffs and the Next flex is SVT. So it's a bit of a gamble to hope that the rise won't be more than 65.8% but assuming it wouldn't we'd be best to take the flex tariff at this stage. Correct? Thanks for your help.

Caporegime
Yes those fixed ones are 12 months tariffs and the Next flex is SVT. So it's a bit of a gamble to hope that the rise won't be more than 65.8% but assuming it wouldn't we'd be best to take the flex tariff at this stage. Correct? Thanks for your help.

If you believe the cap won't rise by more than 65.8% in October then you're better off on the Standard Variable Tariff.

Associate

Yes, just go onto the cheapest one - Next Flex, you'll 'save' a significant amount between now and October which would offset any increases in October. If gas went up to 14p a unit in October there would be rioting in the streets.

fez

fez

Caporegime

I don't think that most people do waste that much energy. Perhaps I am grossly underestimating.

I could turn off all the internet related stuff before bed and not use a power hungry coffee machine and do the dishes by hand. Thats about it. I turn off all lights when I'm not in rooms. We keep our house relatively cold and have smart heating so only heat the rooms we need. I hang out our washing whenever possible and only ever run the washing machine / dishwasher when its full and do it on an eco program.

All of the above would be rather annoying and inconvenient for a small saving. This is my point. I'm not wasting loads of energy that not using wouldn't impact my quality of life. I don't think other people are wasting 2-3kWh a day either.

Caporegime
No i didnt say that , do not assume. The Chinese are working with the Russians and are basing the design of the BN-1200, itself a development from the BN-800, which is in commercial operation. So again i refute your assertion that China is the first, with its yet unfinish CFR-600. As for your `hand waving ` that prototypes are here or there, then buy your own words, China re neither here nor there, as the CFR-600 is a prototype for the actual commerical scale CFR-1000

China begins building pilot fast reactor - World Nuclear News (world-nuclear-news.org)

So then do you agree China are innovating or do you think they are plagiarising? That was the whole point I was making. It's a simple question, don't know why you are dancing around it.

Caporegime
I don't think that most people do waste that much energy. Perhaps I am grossly underestimating.
I think the people who assume everyone is wasting energy are the ones who can't be bothered to turn off lights behind them etc and wash one item of clothing at a time

Soldato

I could turn off all the internet related stuff before bed and not use a power hungry coffee machine and do the dishes by hand. Thats about it. I turn off all lights when I'm not in rooms. We keep our house relatively cold and have smart heating so only heat the rooms we need. I hang out our washing whenever possible and only ever run the washing machine / dishwasher when its full and do it on an eco program.

All of the above would be rather annoying and inconvenient for a small saving. This is my point. I'm not wasting loads of energy that not using wouldn't impact my quality of life. I don't think other people are wasting 2-3kWh a day either.

That all fine but as per the figures even at an awfully low 0.3kWh a day saving overall as a nation it is a huge saving. If you image saving that much energy production then what the nation would need to have as a total significantly drops. If it at 1kWh which I believe is probably closer to the average as a nation overall then that becomes huge.

Soldato
I think the people who assume everyone is wasting energy are the ones who can't be bothered to turn off lights behind them etc and wash one item of clothing at a time

I don't believe that is the case. I mean I don't do any of that and yet I am a believer that on average there is a lot of waste. Although I do feel that will change this year as bills are so much in the news etc and people realising and starting to pay attention. You only have to read this thread to see that people are taking more notice of it all.

Don

I'm fairly energy consious as well (overall elec usage is 3600kWh / year for a family of 4, wife and I both WFH 5 days a week) but since doing hourly monitoring and tracking of my usage with SmartThings I've been able to significantly reduce my usage. It's about changing a mindset really, for example I used to run a load of laundry whenever the basket got full, and if the weather that day happened to be raining then I would just throw it in the tumble drier. After realising that each load of drying cost ~ £1/load I've now started doing laundry on days where rain isn't forecast so I can hang it up outside instead.

I've also been able to reduce my "standby" usage by around 100W by identifying a number of small devices that were each using a sizeable chuck of power too (SkyQ STB, leaving my A/V amp on "network standby" etc). 100W per hour, every day for 365 days a week is not to be sniffed at. Thats the equivilent of £245/year on the current SVR tariff.

Soldato
That all fine but as per the figures even at an awfully low 0.3kWh a day saving overall as a nation it is a huge saving. If you image saving that much energy production then what the nation would need to have as a total significantly drops. If it at 1kWh which I believe is probably closer to the average as a nation overall then that becomes huge.

It’s not just that, if people could shave off a small amount between the hours of 4pm and 8pm, it would dramatically reduce the cost of electricity in general. That is the period of the day when electric is both the most expensive it ever is and dirtiest in terms of pollution.

Soldato
I think come October is where the sting will be because of the Autumn months when gas / electric is mostly needed. However i do think the governments attitude towards the Increase is NI is just stupid. People are already on the breadline i understand they want to claw back the costs of Covid-19 but the timing of this is just wrong.

Back
Top Bottom