This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Gas is so much cheaper per kWh
and despite calorific value of gas it's conversion to usable heat (conduction/convection in exhaust gases) is less efficient than using electricity - hence it's cheaper.
to wit, it's cheaper to use a gas hob than an electric induction hob
.... maybe catalytic gas heaters are more efficient, somewhat like using hydrogen fuel cell versus burning it.

Associate
Seems very generous. That's about 60% of the current cap with a further significant increase expected in October.

Which energy supplier and what's the name of the tariff?

British Gas “HomeEnergy Secure May 2023”.

carbon neutral gas and 100% renewable electric.

I was expecting the cap to increase in October and then again in April.

I am completely perplexed, everyone has been saying “don’t fix, don’t fix” but a 10% increase is a fraction of that I was expecting. The price cap variable tariff is over double what I am paying now.

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
British Gas “HomeEnergy Secure May 2023”.

carbon neutral gas and 100% renewable electric.

I was expecting the cap to increase in October and then again in April.

I am completely perplexed, everyone has been saying “don’t fix, don’t fix” but a 10% increase is a fraction of that I was expecting. The price cap variable tariff is over double what I am paying now.

HomeEnergy Secure May 2023 seems to be an old tariff with a fix until May 2023.

Are you sure you're reading a current offer?

Associate
Got the email today and it’s also on my account ready to be accepted. Although due to the solar installation this week I will probably pick a more expensive tariff on paper but with a much lower standing charge.

Caporegime
Got the email today and it’s also on my account ready to be accepted. Although due to the solar installation this week I will probably pick a more expensive tariff on paper but with a much lower standing charge.

The fix presumably expires in May 2023, the fact it's referred to as a two year fix shows you it's an old one. As they're still letting you have it for some reason I'd probably snatch their hand off. How are you going to get a cheaper tariff even based just on the standing charge?

Associate
The fix presumably expires in May 2023, the fact it's referred to as a two year fix shows you it's an old one. As they're still letting you have it for some reason I'd probably snatch their hand off. How are you going to get a cheaper tariff even based just on the standing charge?

another fixed deal has a much lower standing charge but a cost of around 25p/KWh, so the maths with solar PV should make this better.

Soldato
look on mse british gas renewal thread - other people had received the same it's believed to be an error / a gift horse.- it's forum is like hotuk for energy.

As you suggest it is the net price per unit inc standing charge that matters for your use, so with pv a lower standing charge & higher unit maybe better.
the cap doesn't specify a standing charge after all, just net cost at 12K units and 0K units/pa.

Soldato
And you believe that Tsunami's occur in every country after an earthquake? Sorry but that's not how it works.

He didn't say eathquakes always cause tsunamis, you invented that bit...they can, and do cause tsunamis, not always depending on a lot of factors BUT the earthquake did cause the tsunami in this case...

The Fukushima nuclear disaster was a 2011 nuclear accident at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant in Ōkuma, Fukushima, Japan. The proximate cause of the disaster was the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami that occurred 11 March 2011.

:D:cry:

The fukushima plant was old and was last gen tech, it likely wouldn't have happened with a modern nuclear plant.

Last edited:
Caporegime
He didn't say eathquakes always cause tsunamis, you invented that bit...they can, and do cause tsunamis, not always depending on a lot of factors BUT the earthquake did cause the tsunami in this case...

:D:cry:

How can you so badly miss the point?

The claim was that nuclear isn't safe because of earthquakes equivalent to heavy traffic, the reality is that Fukushima did not melt down despite many earthquakes, it melted down because of a Tsunami which isn't a risk in many countries with earthquakes. Good grief the level of spoonfeeding required on this forum is outstanding.

Soldato
I've no problem with nuclear power as long as its modern up to code technology and is updated during its life cycle.
Whether I'd trust our government not to build them on the cheap fr the lowest bidder is another matter!

Soldato

The claim was that nuclear isn't safe because of earthquakes equivalent to heavy traffic, the reality is that Fukushima did not melt down despite many earthquakes, it melted down because of a Tsunami which isn't a risk in many countries with earthquakes. Good grief the level of spoonfeeding required on this forum is outstanding.

You quoted @labrat, who made no such claim, talk about spoon feeding :rolleyes::cry:

Soldato

Was it not also the case that if they had constructed it to its original design, it also wouldn’t have happened. I remember reading that the sea wall was meant to be bigger and more resilient but it was costed down during the build to save cash. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong there.

Back
Top Bottom