This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
When I hear people do washing machine washes 8 times a week I understand why people are in trouble.
I think we do 2-3 at most?

I assume a lot of tumbles result from so many washes too?
Depends on the family and that though right. I mean 8 washes a week if you have two babies going through clothes and such isn't a surprise if you doing a load a day approx. Then you have those whom are potty training when they 2-3yr old and so got to do more bedding on top that and then a general normal wash. It can add up for those families.

If you are a couple and that it then yeah 2-3 washes a week makes sense or even a family with older children then 3-4 washes a week is probably achievable. Not to mention if you have a newer machine that is 10kg compared to an older machine that might only be 6kg meaning you get a huge amount more washing per load.

So you have a 10kg say and do 3 loads, that 30kg of washing. For someone to do that with a 6kg machine that already 5 loads.

Associate
When I hear people do washing machine washes 8 times a week I understand why people are in trouble.
I think we do 2-3 at most?

I assume a lot of tumbles result from so many washes too?

I agree if it was just me and the wife then 3 washing machine loads as we only have a 6kg washer its our daughter that's the problem gym clothes everyday work clothes and different outfit everyday very sociable but we have reigned her in and cut back on things like washing bath towels after a shower everyday etc.

As for the hovering the wife would do it everyday if she could with a mad springer around the house and a daughter that's mad for hair extensions it creates a lot of hair around the house /

Caporegime
I agree if it was just me and the wife then 3 washing machine loads as we only have a 6kg washer its our daughter that's the problem gym clothes everyday work clothes and different outfit everyday very sociable but we have reigned her in and cut back on things like washing bath towels after a shower everyday etc.

As for the hovering the wife would do it everyday if she could with a mad springer around the house and a daughter that's mad for hair extensions it creates a lot of hair around the house /

Yeah I can imagine. And that is a small washer. I think if we had a 6kg I'd be up to 4 at least. (we have a 10kg)
Work at home cuts clothes in half too. No longer changing in and out. Sportswear makes up a chunk.

We recently got a dog and hair has gone up considerably. Thankfully the robot vacuum handles it well. Just had to increase the frequency it comes out. That thing is a godsend I swear. It's lived up to the hype.

Soldato
I bet the cost of electricty will never return to previous levels, it will remain this high or at the very least only retract a minor amount.

100%.

I mean, in years to come maybe go down, but we need to pay for and install enough renewable energy first, and your talking decades.

Why we are getting solar panels installed.

It's not the perfect solution by any means, solar has its limitations, but you can be damn sure electricity isn't going down anytime soon, and they will eventually pay for themselves, maybe sooner rather than later if prices keep rising.

Caporegime
Really regretting not going for the British Gas Exclusive Fix May 2023 they offered me back in early December now.

Stupid Russia.

Pretty poor advice from MSE....:

Soldato
UK economy will become uncompetitive if we don't get cheaper energy centrally generated. https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/electricity_prices/

bigger 10kg machines can be a false economy if the energy use isn't proportionately less, although with the bigger drum, bigger items washed better, if you mix item sizes exploiting a bigger drum small stuff gets tangled though, and washed less efficiently. I don't know what which recommends.
Overnight running too with an appropriate energy tarif would probably save more.

Getting data on the washing machines/appliances power consumption is still a pain with limited data from smart meters/IHD ... I need a Consumer Access Device

Access to smart metering data without a CAD is limited. Energy suppliers and other parties may allow consumers to opt into half hourly data collection. This may be viewed using an online portal, where the consumer must log in to the supplier’s website to view data. This is generally limited and there is no option to download the data. This has recently been supplemented by apps, some of which already make use of CAD functionality, that allow the viewing of ‘live data’.

However, these solutions have several disadvantages, as half-hourly readings: • May not offer the same resolution as provided by a CAD solution, which can offer reads between <10 seconds and 15 minutes • May not allow third parties to integrate with the data • May not allow for local storage of data or portability of data when changing supplier • May not allow for easy analysis of the data by the consumer.

Caporegime
I bet the cost of electricty will never return to previous levels, it will remain this high or at the very least only retract a minor amount.

It won't change until something like fusion comes along. Feels like a joke. But even before the war etc it was ticking up.

More people in the world
Less resources.
Now cancel out Russia and its not going to change.

It's a game changer. Wages/benefits can't keep up. Government keep peddling this is a blip. But I think we all know it isn't. It's going to be difficult going forward economically. A vast swathe of the population will end up working to live. Many more people than before this rise.

Soldato
Really regretting not going for the British Gas Exclusive Fix May 2023 they offered me back in early December now.

Stupid Russia.

Pretty poor advice from MSE....:

It wasn't at the time.

Soldato
Seems likely.
Going to be serious serious issues if that's the case.
It's saying that energy will be higher than now for 2 years.

I don't really see a way out of this without chaos and people dying from the cold.

Only way out is to cough up loads of cash to mitigate it somehow. And that cash has to come from somewhere.
Our government don't seem to understand, unfortunately.

Permabanned
It won't change until something like fusion comes along. Feels like a joke. But even before the war etc it was ticking up.

More people in the world
Less resources.

It's a game changer. Wages/benefits can't keep up. Government keep peddling this is a blip. But I think we all know it isn't. It's going to be difficult going forward economically. A vast swathe of the population will end up working to live. Many more people than before this rise.
50% of that is the government's fault, fiscal drag, people are being paid less and paying more in tax from earnings, getting hit from both sides.

Man of Honour

More people in the world
Less resources.

I don't think fuel and energy costs are going to come down again, not by any significant amount anyhow, might see the odd dip, but longer term trajectory IMO isn't coming down and wages definitely aren't going to keep up.

Soldato
That's an interesting perspective :p

Advice telling you not to do something in relation to fixing a cost for an amount of time, ends up being bad advice if it was actually the correct thing to do.
By your logic paying for house insurance has been bad advice for me so far, after all I haven't needed it so it's been wasted money.

Soldato
This is the issue when gov always say 'we will pay it back next year'

Way the world is there's always an unexpected cost. Pandemic, now gas prices (food and everything really).

Those good times don't really seem real.

But what other option do they have? Apart from more debt?
We are on the decline for sure. I guess we just have to get used to more debt thus less cash for big projects?

I hate the waste that governments cause each year. From Hs2, to dogdy deals around covid ppe, etc etc. If we wanted less that would help.
We don't need to borrow (especially with rising interest rates), we can tax the very wealthiest who have greatly increased their wealth in the pandemic due to government and central bank policy, the top 10 have each doubled their wealth while the rest have increased their wealth by over 20% in one year: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...illionaires-wealth-rise-pandemic-b936423.html.

Taxes on vast swathes of land, huge properties and the purchase of mega-yachts are some ideas. The policies adopted by the central banks and governments have created rampant asset inflation and greatly increased the divide between the richest and the rest of us once again (this is unsustainable in a functioning and healthy society and will result in disaster if it keeps happening and ordinary people keep getting poorer).

We need to move to clean energy much faster to alleviate this crisis, but the government are stuck in the past and are happy to encourage profiteering fossil fuel companies to make record profits at the expense of ordinary people.

Also, the dodgy deals (corruption) have cost us many billions over the odds for goods that often are unfit for purpose and have to be thrown away (they were basically kickbacks of taxpayer cash to Conservative friends and donors). Brexit has cost many billions more and greatly exacerbated inflationary pressures and made them persistent, all for no appreciable gain. Unfortunately we need a government that is not corrupt and is willing to act in the national interest if we want to remedy this which is why I hope the Conservatives are decimated on Thursday.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom