This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Can anyone explain what the price cap means? We got a letter from British Gas saying our bill next year will be roughly £2500. Does that mean we don’t need to bother to try to reduce the heating/ hot water? The bill is capped so we can run it all day long?
No. It means the per kilowat rate is capped at a pence per unit. It isn't a good news story.

Soldato
Can anyone explain what the price cap means? We got a letter from British Gas saying our bill next year will be roughly £2500. Does that mean we don’t need to bother to try to reduce the heating/ hot water? The bill is capped so we can run it all day long?
Price cap is per unit. So not a good idea to run the heating all day.

Soldato

Soldato
Have you been wasting leccy & gas thinking you don't have to pay over a certain amount and the rest is all free ? :confused:

Soldato
I think an easy to understand guide to the price cap to all households should have been a priority. I don’t think a good enough effort has been made to do this.

Agreed. The press publishing headline numbers that are actually what an AVERAGE household will pay is rather meaningless to a lot of people

It's a price cap PER UNIT and this should be made much more clear. Most don't read past the headline.

I was looking at my Bosch Smart Home app today. We've used almost 50% less gas (actual volume) in the 2021/2022 winter than we did a year previous.

Investment in smart thermostats for every radiator in the house paying off!

Soldato
I take it you didn't bother to read the entire Twit thread

Some takeaways

Maybe you misunderstand my point as nothing in the thread or whatever you've posted goes against it.

The speculation is on derivatives, which do not impact the real price, vs the actual impacts on price are based on increases in fertilizer, wages, and the reduction of supply.

Soldato
reporting from the uneasy S-Eastern corner of the continent, after months of bill shocking the GR government has decided to subsidize the electricity bills for everyone up to 60%. The situation got so bad here, the bills were 2 or 3 times the monthly family income for a lot of families.

The idiots drove this country from being self sufficient in electricity production to heavily depended on foreign natural gas, now they are rushing to switch on the coal factories asap to the rescue.

Caporegime
reporting from the uneasy S-Eastern corner of the continent, after months of bill shocking the GR government has decided to subsidize the electricity bills for everyone up to 60%. The situation got so bad here, the bills were 2 or 3 times the monthly family income for a lot of families.

The idiots drove this country from being self sufficient in electricity production to heavily depended on foreign natural gas, now they are rushing to switch on the coal factories asap to the rescue.
Saddens me. Polluting such a beautiful country like that. No choice I suppose

Soldato
I facepalmed so hard at this.... do you even adult? Lol

Soldato
Four 'Direct Debit Health Checks' in the space of 2 months (their T&C's state they do this 3 monthly) by Ovo Energy, despite our energy usage plummeting as the summer weather gets warmer.

So as suggested by a previous poster, I cancelled my direct debit as it won't let you readjust it downwards after OVO increase it without your agreement. Ovo then email you to request you set the DD back up, which I did - at the amount I want to pay.

Guess I'll be cancelling and setting back up the DD every time they increase it. Works though, a little time consuming but works.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
So as suggested by a previous poster, I cancelled my direct debit as it won't let you readjust it downwards after OVO increase it without your agreement. Ovo then email you to request you set the DD back up, which I did - at the amount I want to pay.

Guess I'll be cancelling and setting back up the DD every time they increase it. Works though, a little time consuming but works.

Haha, yes I see. Might have to do same, even though I send readings and the local DNO manually read it I have seen the odd estimate. :cry:

Do they still hark back to the days of 60/100watt bulbs and the race to use as much power as possible in your vacuum as a dummies proxy to cleaning power

During the CFL (mercury-based energy saving) bulb era of the 2000s, I detested those CFLs. Even the "brighter" 20W ones. I didn't like the colour they produced. Then from a visually impaired viewpoint, they were dimmer than the 60/100W incandescent bulbs and they didn't produce shadows very well, so things in the room looked more blurred to me. So during that era, I stuck with the incandescent bulbs.

Once the LED bulbs came along in the early 2010s, I grabbed them with both arms. 15W white LED produces around the same brightness as incandescents and the shadows were back, so to produce a sharper image in the room for me.

Back
Top Bottom