This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have been lucky enough to still be fixed until July (For the past 16 months). To help going forward and after a lot of thought, I am going down the home battery storage solution to charge and fill with off peak rates over night (7.5p pkw) and to run the house of the battery's in the peak rate times. Its with a long term view. Has anyone else done or looked at going down this path?
Trouble with this is what happens if they stop doing the cheap off peak rates or it goes up substantially. I feel a combo is the way to go. Shame they cost so bloody much to get installed. Would love if they were more like 5-6K for both and a 5 year to repay its self.

Associate
Trouble with this is what happens if they stop doing the cheap off peak rates or it goes up substantially. I feel a combo is the way to go. Shame they cost so bloody much to get installed. Would love if they were more like 5-6K for both and a 5 year to repay its self.

The cheap rates have always been around and always will. Suppliers need the balance the supply and demand at all times, that is why electric is cheap over night when demand is low. EDF off peak night rate is 4.5p but their gas prices are really high.

I am going down the Telsa powerwall route, its sadly expensive. Based on my napkin maths, ROI is about 4-5 years for our usage Vs the suggested price cap increase coming in Oct. The warranty is 80% retention after 10 years, so currently ROI is looking good vs warranty. Securing one in the first place was proving very hard.

Solar panels ROI is just a joke at the moment tbh, hence why I am going battery only/first for now.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The cheap rates have always been around and always will. Suppliers need the balance the supply and demand at all times, that is why electric is cheap over night when demand is low. EDF off peak night rate is 4.5p but their gas prices are really high.

I am going down the Telsa powerwall route, its sadly expensive. Based on my napkin maths, ROI is about 4-5 years for our usage Vs the suggested price cap increase coming in Oct. The warranty is 80% retention after 10 years, so currently ROI is looking good vs warranty. Securing one in the first place was proving very hard.

Solar panels ROI is just a joke at the moment tbh, hence why I am going battery only/first for now.
What’s the name of the tariff and how long can you fix it for if you know? Have you considered different batteries? Why Tesla? The others offer 10 years also as I understand?

I mean I guess it all depends on each individual’s usage which can vary. What do you use and how did you arrive at 4-5 years ROI? I would jump at it now if ROI was like that.

Associate
What’s the name of the tariff and how long can you fix it for if you know? Have you considered different batteries? Why Tesla? The others offer 10 years also as I understand?

I mean I guess it all depends on each individual’s usage which can vary. What do you use and how did you arrive at 4-5 years ROI? I would jump at it now if ROI was like that.
Octopus Go is 7.5p and EDF GoElectric35 is 4.5p (But gas is expensive) 12 months fixed however there is some smaller company's that were allowing fixed for 2 years but not sure if theyre offering the same deal at the moment. Caveat, they maybe EV only tariff but im not sure. I have read you can get OctopusGo without one, not sure how true that is. 4 year ROI on OctopusGo vs the suggested Oct price cap increase, that is yet to play out. 5-6 years vs the current price cap. Mine is based on 7000kw pa of usage (EV coming, so included 2500kw). This is subject to use, everyone's different and may well work out different for you. If you use less then the ROI is longer, more will be quicker. I went Telsa due to its output, capacity, unlimited cycles with the 80% retention and I know it has the features/functions I want.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Octopus Go is 7.5p and EDF GoElectric35 is 4.5p (But gas is expensive) 12 months fixed however there is some smaller company's that were allowing fixed for 2 years but not sure if theyre offering the same deal at the moment. Caveat, they maybe EV only tariff but im not sure. I have read you can get OctopusGo without one, not sure how true that is. 4 year ROI on OctopusGo vs the suggested Oct price cap increase, that is yet to play out. 5-6 years vs the current price cap. Mine is based on 7000kw pa of usage (EV coming, so included). This is subject to use, everyone's different and may well work out different for you. If you use less then the ROI is longer. I went Telsa due to its output, capacity, unlimited cycles with the 80% retention and I know it has the features/functions I want.
How much did it cost? Last I checked it was very expensive. To the point for the same price one can go solar and batteries elsewhere and benefit from zero VAT.

Associate
How much did it cost? Last I checked it was very expensive. To the point for the same price one can go solar and batteries elsewhere and benefit from zero VAT.
Battery installed excluding VAT £8700. It is expensive. I am in discussion to include solar to benefit from the VAT reduction. Neverless, even with the VAT reduction, solar takes a very long time ROI. At todays rates for battery and solar from other brands are not cheaper. Unless you go complete DIY, then there is a saving to be made.

Vs the suggested Oct price cap based on my useage, it could save me up to £2160 a year. Everyones mileage will vary. For some, its completely not worth it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Battery installed excluding VAT £8700. It is expensive. I am in discussion to include solar to benefit from the VAT reduction. Neverless, even with the VAT reduction, solar takes a very long time ROI.

This is why uptake is not faster.
Long ROI so most people only consider it in a forever home.

To date its been debatable whether it adds anything to a house price. That might well change now.

Associate
This is why uptake is not faster.
Long ROI so most people only consider it in a forever home.

To date its been debatable whether it adds anything to a house price. That might well change now.
You would generally leave solar on your home should you move, batteries you take with you.

I didnt bother looking at Solar first time round due to its ROI, when off peak rates are so cheap.

Caporegime
You would generally leave solar on your home should you move, batteries you take with you.

I didnt bother looking at Solar first time round due to its ROI, when off peak rates are so cheap.

So someone in the other thread said. I don't recall how much you take and how much you leave in terms of outlay?

Ie. How much cost is fixed and how much is movable?

Associate
So someone in the other thread said. I don't recall how much you take and how much you leave in terms of outlay?

Ie. How much cost is fixed and how much is movable?
I wasnt aware of another thread, which one is that? I wouldn't imagine removing a battery would cost much. You would get someone to detach the gateway and battery (only a few cables) then the home own can unbolt and move it. Fixing in the new house will depend on its location to run cables to it. There isn't much to it.

Most of the cost are the battery's vs Panels.

Last edited:
Associate
Gas and electricity set to go up another 1k in October ready for winter

We will be seeing pensioners freeze to death this Christmas whilst these energy companies rake in massive profits

Battery installed excluding VAT £8700. It is expensive. I am in discussion to include solar to benefit from the VAT reduction. Neverless, even with the VAT reduction, solar takes a very long time ROI. At todays rates for battery and solar from other brands are not cheaper. Unless you go complete DIY, then there is a saving to be made.

Vs the suggested Oct price cap based on my useage, it could save me up to £2160 a year. Everyones mileage will vary. For some, its completely not worth it.

How have you calculated that?

I found the maximum realistic return to be about £1600 per year, assuming 100% capacity used every day, the 90% conversion efficiency they quote, a unit price of £0.42 (Oct rate assumption), and only paying £0.045 to charge it
If you move to £0.075 incoming per unit it drops to £1400 per year.

When I played with ROI I found panels to be pretty similar to batteries in reality, certainly with reasonable assumptions, being made.
Im in the process of trying to spec a system design before asking installers to quote/advise, I want to achieve a reasonably consistent quote in order to be able to compare.
What makes it tricky is they become complimentary at times. Excess solar in say May-Aug will charge batteries for free, to use off peak.
Batteries to be charged from the grid in the low generation months on a reduced tariff.

Have you actually found a tariff you can move to, when I looked a month or so ago the only variable priced ones (cheap overnight units) were no where close to the 4.5/7.5 rate.
BG was 20p but more for day units. You also lost your cap protection in effect.

Have you looked into the Octopus Tesla only tariff? If its still available thats really good.

Soldato
Gas and electricity set to go up another 1k in October ready for winter

We will be seeing pensioners freeze to death this Christmas whilst these energy companies rake in massive profits
According to the energy company's they are selling electricity and gas at a loss. They have to make up the shortfall in other areas of the business.

We already know the wholesale price is waaaay higher than what we the customer pay for it.

Don
How have you calculated that?

I found the maximum realistic return to be about £1600 per year, assuming 100% capacity used every day, the 90% conversion efficiency they quote, a unit price of £0.42 (Oct rate assumption), and only paying £0.045 to charge it
If you move to £0.075 incoming per unit it drops to £1400 per year.

When I played with ROI I found panels to be pretty similar to batteries in reality, certainly with reasonable assumptions, being made.
Im in the process of trying to spec a system design before asking installers to quote/advise, I want to achieve a reasonably consistent quote in order to be able to compare.
What makes it tricky is they become complimentary at times. Excess solar in say May-Aug will charge batteries for free, to use off peak.
Batteries to be charged from the grid in the low generation months on a reduced tariff.

Have you actually found a tariff you can move to, when I looked a month or so ago the only variable priced ones (cheap overnight units) were no where close to the 4.5/7.5 rate.
BG was 20p but more for day units. You also lost your cap protection in effect.

Have you looked into the Octopus Tesla only tariff? If its still available thats really good.

In your pricing have you included using excess power to heat your hot water too? Your gas usage for the "warm" months could be also zero, excluding standing charges. Arguably heating your water with eco7 rates on the immersion @ 7.5p/kwh would be cheaper than the forecasted gas prices this winter too.

Back
Top Bottom