This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I would prefer everything to be covered by unit prices that way when everything is off I know it shouldn't cost me a thing.
how often is everything actually off.
but, as I have said on previous posts , the first daily units should be cheaper which would mean the total daily cost divided by units is the same for low users as big users.

------------

These windfall profits by the generating companies , I've not heard whether the actual suppliers (still in business) themselves, are making a profit ..
for those that did buy on the futures market they could still be in the money - so maybe we are not shaming all the right people.

Soldato
Time to cut back your energy use then

What if you realistically can't cut it back in any meaningful way?

3 bed semi using 3800kwh of gas and 1100kwh electric annually. I mentioned this before and was told this is extremely low so can I cut my usage in a meaningful way?

When I say "meaningful", it's to prevent the "if you do this, it'll save you £5/year" crowd trying to be smart.

Caporegime
How do you get £2400 a year in that consumption then if it’s lower than average ? Edit. Sorry that’s a diff person. Wouldn’t worry at that use

Soldato

3 bed semi using 3800kwh of gas and 1100kwh electric annually. I mentioned this before and was told this is extremely low so can I cut my usage in a meaningful way?

When I say "meaningful", it's to prevent the "if you do this, it'll save you £5/year" crowd trying to be smart.
Obviously not in your case since you're already at the lowest levels of usage. But for people using the current average, or more, then sure there's scope to cut back.

Soldato
Then we'd be sitting in the dark with nothing to do.

A real "let them eat cake" moment :rolleyes:
Your energy use is more than me, and I have EV and 3x tropical fish tanks, each running a 300w heater 24/7.
Pretty sure you can cut back something without sitting in the dark :rolleyes: Lights make little difference anyway (if they are LED)

Soldato
whilst it would certainly help me having no standing charge I am not sure it would help poor people..... maybe it would but OTOH those with more cash have the money to buy A rated appliances, get solar and batteries.

stuff like that is a pipe dream for some people.

right now even bitcoin mining with a 3090 GPU this month I am net import of 20kwh so far and thanks to a home battery those 20kwh are off peak cheap . (admittedly I use more in winter)

but without standing charges my electricity bill would be almost 0. great for me but it does seem rather unfair as I still need all the infrastructure so the power is there IF I need it.

Soldato

Why would you need cut back that use - your annual bill is probably the same as some people’s monthly bill.

Soldato
but without standing charges my electricity bill would be almost 0. great for me but it does seem rather unfair as I still need all the infrastructure so the power is there IF I need it.
The SC is about 45p per day / £13 a month, which is less than 10% of the average bill. I think the SC cost impact is being exaggerated.

Caporegime
Your energy use is more than me, and I have EV and 3x tropical fish tanks, each running a 300w heater 24/7.
Pretty sure you can cut back something without sitting in the dark :rolleyes: Lights make little difference anyway (if they are LED)
Those fish tank heaters aren't running at 300w 24/7. If they were they'd use nearly 650kWh/month and your total electricity usage is 750kWh/month.

In kWh how much gas do you use per annum?

Hopefully @robgmun will post his gas and electricity usage for comparison.

Caporegime
Absolutely needs to be a standing charge.

Just like car tax and tax on fuel.

Personally I love a big standing charge vs unit. No way I'd want it shifted to all unit.

Standing + unit is a good balance.

Soldato
the average bill with be highly inflated just like the "average wage"
exactly

52077563012_4cb0b6c30b_c_d.jpg

The SC is about 45p per day / £13 a month, which is less than 10% of the average bill. I think the SC cost impact is being exaggerated.
do the calculation low users pay 20% more per unit , dividing total daily cost by units used

Soldato
Those fish tank heaters aren't running at 300w 24/7. If they were they'd use nearly 650kWh/month and your total electricity usage is 750kWh/month.

In kWh how much gas do you use per annum?

Hopefully @robgmun will post his gas and electricity usage for comparison.
In winter they are running a lot to keep the water at 25c
Last year my 12 month gas use was : 12,586 kWh

Back
Top Bottom