This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
The entire sector is privatised, it was sold off by the conservatives because of their ideology.

Energy produces are legally required to put their investors (aka shareholders) first. For oil and gas, that means selling it to the highest bidder on the open market.

Other countries like Norway and France, where their energy sectors are owned or part/majority owned by the government, haven’t been hit as hard because they can look after their citizens first.

Generally privatisation gives a short term windfall for the government but it usually comes at the expense of long term benefits to the tax payer.

They often come with huge risks too, where things are privatised, if they collapse, the taxpayer is often left holding the can where it’s a critical service.

Caporegime
The GO tariff and battery are the way to go, saving me a small fortune.

DIY battery, just added 7Kw of Lifepo4 cells.

My last 2 days usage below, Battery running 20hours a day /off during the cheap rate (5P/15P)
Cheap rate is heating the hot water.

So under 15p per day!
Do you have an electric vehicle?

Caporegime
@Surveyor

No, don't have an EV. (Octopus know I have a battery to use though)

Where is the quote option hiding now ?
Hit reply to quote.

I've read in this thread they're clamping down and require proof of EV ownership now.

People on MSE are now reporting they actually checking if you own a EV, there is also a new EV tariff tied to one car manufacturer so the tariff is likely sponsored which I think is dumb. These tariffs should be an option for anyone with a smart meter in my opinion.

Whether its better or not depends on your usage, if you dont use much at night, a SVR tariff is probably better, but if you either a night owl or keep things like a server running 24/7 it might work out better. Its fat better than the old E7 tariffs. I assume the tariff is exempt from cap which will mean its on peak rate will be considerably higher if taken up now?

Soldato
I'm good until 24th September on 5/15p rate, will push hard to stay on the GO Tariff. Will have to wait till September and see.

In the same position here, my GO tariff is fixed until end of June, but I got rid of my EV during lockdown as I was (and still am) doing probably less than 200 miles/month! Will see if they still want proof since I'm still on the tariff.

Associate
Go is 7.5/35 now
I'll be happy as long as it is under 10p on the cheap rate as the battery can charge on the cheap rate in the Winter.

I see under the octopus portal they have a few more smart tariffs showing now if you click on the "discover more" in pink near the top of the page, just scroll
through them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I lived in a flat in 2006 with electric heating and water. Bills were big back then.

Standing charge is £250 a year on the energy cap even after the increases. People pay more on Netflix and tv license

Netflix is £11 per month, which is half that, so don't know where you are getting that from. Get a Turkish subscription and it's ~£3 a month.

Soldato
I remember last year I was in contact with someone that is an energy broker, he has quite the car collection, you could say too many.... (that's a hint). He's a top guy, really down to earth and he was telling me that half a dozen energy companies would go bust (this was before the 1st one went). He also kept telling his clients to fix their energy rates ASAP.

Businesses have been affected, some of them have been around for 25+ years and are now having to fold including those producing essential items like bricks.

Man of Honour
On a 40+ inch UHD display with any of the more advanced tech (QD-LED, OLED, etc.) most of the streaming sites look horrific even when paying for the higher packages - YouTube 4K is about the only thing out of the mainstream sites which is kind of acceptable looking. And that is with a supported 4K device - never mind the likes of Disney plus which hate streaming anything higher than 480p in a browser... and if you are lucky might get 720p with Edge...

Soldato
On a 40+ inch UHD display with any of the more advanced tech (QD-LED, OLED, etc.) most of the streaming sites look horrific even when paying for the higher packages - YouTube 4K is about the only thing out of the mainstream sites which is kind of acceptable looking. And that is with a supported 4K device - never mind the likes of Disney plus which hate streaming anything higher than 480p in a browser... and if you are lucky might get 720p with Edge...

Streaming quality these days is pretty damn good. Disney plus for example is 4k Dolby vision and Dolby atmos for recent content and a lot is now imax enhanced.

I was a big fan of disc media but I compared a 4k disc to Disney plus (one of the marvel films) and didnt notice much difference unless I really looked for it. Maybe if I had 60"+ screen it would be more noticeable.

I guess they limit Web browsers due to piracy concerns, plus most people watch on a TV so it's not really a priority.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Streaming quality these days is pretty damn good. Disney plus for example is 4k Dolby vision and Dolby atmos for recent content and a lot is now imax enhanced.

I was a big fan of disc media but I compared a 4k disc to Disney plus (one of the marvel films) and didnt notice much difference unless I really looked for it. Maybe if I had 60"+ screen it would be more noticeable.

I guess they limit Web browsers due to piracy concerns, plus most people watch on a TV so it's not really a priority.

I may have missed some better recent content as I'm fairly selective what I watch on Disney plus - but on my Philips 436M6 QD-LED VA there are tons of artefacts or blockiness in dark colours, parts of the image which are noticeably lower resolution or visually noisy, etc. I don't have it with UHD Blu-ray and decently produced 4K stuff on YouTube is acceptable.

The piracy concerns are pretty LOL as it is so easy to circumvent in this day and age (as I've mentioned before probably one of the reasons there is a push to try and get TPM adopted as it is a component in taking more control on something like that - though won't stop people being able to use capture cards externally).

Back
Top Bottom