This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

I used to buy these frozen pizzas from a shop near me, they were £1.50, now they are £2.65, that's not a 10% increase, more like 45% Likewise the yogurts I bought have gone up 30%, as has numerous other things like coffee from £4 a 200g jar to £5.50.

The government handing out all this money, isn't going to help matters, its going to make them worse, they should be tackling the route cause of the issue rather than attempting to slap a bandaid on it.

There is something up with frozen pizzas although I have no idea what. All supermarkets I visit the range has dropped a lot, the prices are up, and the offers are almost non existent. My local Tesco extra now has half the space allocated to pizzas and often there are gaps even then.
Vanilla milkshake is another casualty, try finding that in Tesco, Sainsbury etc, unless your talking very expensive stuff. Vanilla pricing basically.

Coffee was a crop issue so thats expected.

Addressing the root cause isn't easy. Many issues in supply chains are still COVID impacted.
We have all the same issues that everyone faces globally, plus we have the Brexit impact on top. I know its often overplayed but working in the industry I dont think people realise the impacts it has had. Its put costs up, there is no getting away from that, its also reduced variety since many manufacturers and importers have just dropped lines that don't have enough volume to be worth it.

A lot of what we are seeing now is the inflation spiral impact from freight, plus energy starting, and once they get a grip its the fear many nations have had for decades, inflation can become firmly rooted.
Pay rises then start getting in on the act as well.
For the first time I can remember my company has raised prices by touching double digits (varies by customer by product) and we are considering more. As I said I work in food supply chain. Also for the first time we basically have turned round to other global companies and said we aren't negotiating, we are telling you this is what your prices are going up by. Normally they expect a good negotiation and some middle ground.

Its easy to work out the general cost of an appliance, kettle for example uses 3kwh.

If your unit rate is 35p kw/h then it would cost you £1.05 to boil the kettle for an hour, except you would never be boing the kettle for that length of time, it would more likely be 1-2 minutes if your only using the amount of water you need. In that case to boil your kettle its costing you around 2p everytime you boil it.

Most appliances you can pretty much guess the sort of load they will be using, a microwave is fairly inefficient and you can reasonably double the output power of it to get an idea of how much its actually using. My 1000w microwave uses around 1.7kw/h during use, but would still be cheaper to use than cooking the same food in an oven which uses twice that amount of electricity and takes longer to cook the food.

I agree mainly. Simple items such as a kettle/microwave are easy, you can do it manually or watch the IHD if you have one, high power means you can easily see the impact
Take a dishwasher, I cant make any sense from the IHD as to what its using. I dont see any massive spike in energy usage, in fact its far less than I was expecting, once I start the cycle it seems to go up about 200w, I was expected loads more to heat the water.
I havent stood and watched the whole cycle really I need to plug in a proper monitor for that one, but its not got a plug (hardwired) so i would need to do something a bit funky to monitor it
I suppose I could take the feed from the isolation, wire in a short extension with a plug, plug my monitor in, then add a plug to the cable that goes to the output behind the dishwasher, bit meh but could work for a day or so.
I could have course pull the dishwasher itself out, wire a plug to that and use an extension lead but its a bit of a pain to get it in and out for that.
I dont really care enough right now ;) I can always send er indoors out to wash the dishes in the rain I suppose ;)

Soldato
Had a smart meter installed at the weekend, what kind of daily charge do you lot use for electric and gas, this last week each day the electric has been around £1.60 - £2, this morning, no idea how but Its already reading £1.70.

Soldato
You seem somewhat confused
The meter readings are that frequent, the IHD is basically real time (updates every few seconds)
no ones confused I want a record of at least 30s granularity showing power usage during the day,
sitting watching the dynamically updated ihd is not useful.
The mechanism known as CAD would permit me to get this - with your authorisation meter will transfer better than 30s data to a central database that you can access later.

Soldato

Washing machines don't generally use much if your using cold/cool wash cycles, 30-40c doesn't take much energy to maintain, other than that the rest of the cycle uses pretty much nothing. If you start washing things on long cycles at high temperatures then it can become costly.

I tend to do one big wash every 1-2 weeks for things that need to be done at 60c, the rest of the time its 30c daily wash cycles every 2-3 days or as necessary.

Caporegime
Had a smart meter installed at the weekend, what kind of daily charge do you lot use for electric and gas, this last week each day the electric has been around £1.60 - £2, this morning, no idea how but Its already reading £1.70.

Got one last week too.
It's been accurate.
1.5-2.5
1.5ish on a normal weekday (no washing/dishwasher)
But at weekend with cleaning etc and if its wet and we're in it can hit 2.5

Tv actually adds a lot of watch too much.
Dare I say it a new TV might actually save money over the long run!

It certainly would if watched TV all evening.

Hits 300w

no ones confused I want a record of at least 30s granularity showing power usage during the day,
sitting watching the dynamically updated ihd is not useful.
The mechanism known as CAD would permit me to get this - with your authorisation meter will transfer better than 30s data to a central database that you can access later.

Come back in 20 or 30 years then, because your not going to get that anytime soon unless you do something yourself

Have you even got a smart meter yet?

Soldato
Most appliances you can pretty much guess the sort of load they will be using, a microwave is fairly inefficient and you can reasonably double the output power of it to get an idea of how much its actually using. My 1000w microwave uses around 1.7kw/h during use, but would still be cheaper to use than cooking the same food in an oven which uses twice that amount of electricity and takes longer to cook the food.
Do you know how much power your oven uses - have you been able to measure it ?
of course, a plugged in microwave is easy to monitor with an energy meter
If you turn on an oven, you usually plan to cook several elements of a meal too, so, even the microwaves are cheaper meme, needs analysis - it is akin to batch cooking.
( eg. we had the oven on last night did mac'n'cheese, a bakewell tart, rice pudding )

Soldato
Got one last week too.
It's been accurate.
1.5-2.5
1.5ish on a normal weekday (no washing/dishwasher)
But at weekend with cleaning etc and if its wet and we're in it can hit 2.5

Tv actually adds a lot of watch too much.
Dare I say it a new TV might actually save money over the long run!

It certainly would if watched TV all evening.

Hits 300w

Had tv on this morning and currently on iMac, and just boiled the kettle, plus showers (electric) earlier, at £1.84 now. Seems a lot so far. when I was hitting that towards the later part of the day.

Just looking and on IHD and meter reading says its drawing 54.8**kwh, only using iMac and all the general stuff, fridge freezer, tvs in standby but they dont draw much.

Soldato
Looks like support is coming : should be announced later today

Households in England, Scotland and Wales are set to have hundreds of pounds knocked off energy bills this winter as part of a £10bn package to help people cope with soaring prices.
The government is to scrap a plan to give people £200 off bills from October which would be repaid over five years.
Instead, the BBC understands that sum will be increased and possibly doubled, and will not need to be paid back.
Additional help for those on the lowest incomes is also expected.
The support, to be announced by Chancellor Rishi Sunak later, is expected to be largely funded by a windfall tax on oil and gas firms that could raise £7bn

Source: BBC

In before : This is not enough and we want more money !

Caporegime
Had tv on this morning and currently on iMac, and just boiled the kettle, plus showers (electric) earlier, at £1.84 now. Seems a lot so far. when I was hitting that towards the later part of the day.

Just looking and on IHD and meter reading says its drawing 54.8**kwh, only using iMac and all the general stuff, fridge freezer, tvs in standby but they dont draw much.
54..KW?

KW?
Are you sure?
54kw is near impossible.

I mean I'd have to have 15 kettles going to hit that.

Caporegime
Associate
Soldato
Probably have to take a pic and post it up.
IMG-0090.jpg

Back
Top Bottom