• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

This is why you can't find stock

Soldato
if games are only up 20%, then that tells you compared to 100% increase in hardware, the rest must be mining

Well not really because it's hardware in general. The government free laptop scheme for kids has purchased over 200,000 laptops. Only a third of eligible applicants managed to get a laptop due to a shortage.

Also hundreds of thousands of people across the world bought a new computer for remote working.

Graphics cards are a tiny fraction of this 100% increase in 'hardware' sales.

Pet Northerner
Don
Well not really because it's hardware in general. The government free laptop scheme for kids has purchased over 200,000 laptops. Only a third of eligible applicants managed to get a laptop due to a shortage.

Also hundreds of thousands of people across the world bought a new computer for remote working.

Graphics cards are a tiny fraction of this 100% increase in 'hardware' sales.

I'm inclined to agree here. Hardware is a very broad term, which will include the additional Enterprise level gear required to help facilitate remote working at the levels required. Noting the accessories sales going up to tells you this is mostly whole, new pc's being purchased along with mice, keyboards, headphones and webcams (I remember they were like hens teeth last May), rather than just enthusiasts / hobbyists.

Associate
I'm inclined to agree here. Hardware is a very broad term, which will include the additional Enterprise level gear required to help facilitate remote working at the levels required. Noting the accessories sales going up to tells you this is mostly whole, new pc's being purchased along with mice, keyboards, headphones and webcams (I remember they were like hens teeth last May), rather than just enthusiasts / hobbyists.

Mining I think is the main culprit for the shortages. Have just seen so many marketplace adverts for mining rigs with 6X 5700xt selling for £4K!

also saw another one for a system builder saying he’ll build a mining rig with 5X 3080s for 12k!

Pet Northerner
Don
Mining I think is the main culprit for the shortages. Have just seen so many marketplace adverts for mining rigs with 6X 5700xt selling for £4K!

also saw another one for a system builder saying he’ll build a mining rig with 5X 3080s for 12k!

Honestly supply was just as bad before Bitcoin shot up in Q4 - people just want an excuse to blame someone. The FOMO on the 3080 / 6800XT did most of the damage itself, plus peoples greed in selling their 2*** cards pre-september then having nothing to game on. The irony there is that most of those people (who sold 2080ti's for 4-600) would have been fiscally better off not selling early.

FOMO has now spread to crypto currency, which is what is decimating the remaining stock. But remember the long established ETH miners with warehouses of 5700XTs have been up and running for months and months and there was no shortage.

Shortage started with the 3080 release and everyone went WILD.

Associate
wtf! haha never even heard of that term before...:eek:

Showing our age...

Lol yep - I asked if dabs were still a thing and if anything was "sick" - got a look of dismay from my 10 year old.

(The dab and sick thing came from my 14 year old nephew a couple of years ago, but seems things have moved on haha).

Associate

this one is pretty comical, as those idiots are hashtagging PCgaming and similar. Their PR is probably made up of 5 year olds :D
Soon GPU manufacturers will stop making them to sell, they gonna be making them and mining themselves, as it will be more profitable :D
How long till we gonna have Mining as source of revenue in quarterly AMD/nVidia financial report :D

Caporegime
You can't mine bitcoin on graphics cards. You can mine some sort of scam coin like ethereum but you haven't been able to profitably mine bitcoin on a gpu for around 10 years.

we really going that deep. you can mine coins on gpus and its super highly profitable. thats why you have no cards. it takes two minutes to set up.

3060 for eg will launch be gone as they will pay off the total of buying them within 3 months.
3080 is making 250 quid a month.
3070 is making 161 quid a month.

so to pull me up on mentioning bitcoin is a bit weak. its all relative. the reason you have no cards is mining gouging and retailers either selling directly to miners plus cash or on ebay. i dont blame them for doing so its a business.

Soldato
Also all stuck in quese since release of these graphics cards with their money held for almost 6 months now and still in a queue are really the only ones to blame themselves, there has been a lot of chances over the 6 months to buy these items when in stock and not be stuck in a queue and a company holding your money for half a year is just down right silly now. Again only people to blame are the people sat in this queue and not asked for their money back and purchasing elsewhere or when items are actually in stock.

Think you need to be a bit careful here - if the stock system of the said retailer can keep track of the sales is being taken for granted in your description (ie showing items in stock that have already been sold, but perhaps not dispatched yet) - you hope this is not the case but Im dubious this happens more than the consumer would wish with hard to find parts

Also there are businesses out there that show distributor stock rather than their own - ie it might already be sold by the time your order is processed by the retailer, let alone distributor actioning the retailers order.

Last edited:
Associate
I think a lot of people have been lulled into thinking touchscreen Android and iDevices can "do it all". The sheer number of people at my work (educated/well paid) who wanted devices paid for them is unbelievable, considering everything is web service/RDS and requires a potato computer
Many people don’t need a PC if you don’t work from home to be honest. They have not be lulled into thinking a tablet can do it all: they didn’t need a desktop or laptop before the pandemic.

Back
Top Bottom