This 'sugar tax' crap is doing my head in!

Associate
I'd also like to remind people to read the news articles with a pinch of salt and actually read the studies or reported statistics, rather than relying on the news article to set the tone and severity of the issue.

A recent article on the BBC news for example stated that "There is no safe amount of alcohol - a study shows".

The statistic they used was something like:
"Out of 100,000 deaths of non-drinking people, 931 died from "drink related illnesses"

ie. this is the control. 1% of people who don't drink will get these illnesses without drinking.

They then said that adding one drink per day adds another 4 people to that list.

So, not drinking and you have a 1% chance of dying, drinking one drink per day and you have a 1.004% chance of dying from those illnesses.

But they new story presents this as a HUGE thing! It's a 0.004% increase in risk. Crossing one more road a day probably increases you risk of dying 10 times more than that.

It's all about the dose, it's all about the risk profile.

Back on topic. Out of how many million people that drink energy drinks, how many have lost limbs? What is the percentage risk profile?

Caporegime
I'd also like to remind people to read the news articles with a pinch of salt and actually read the studies or reported statistics, rather than relying on the news article to set the tone and severity of the issue.

A recent article on the BBC news for example stated that "There is no safe amount of alcohol - a study shows".

The statistic they used was something like:
"Out of 100,000 deaths of non-drinking people, 931 died from "drink related illnesses"

ie. this is the control. 1% of people who don't drink will get these illnesses without drinking.

They then said that adding one drink per day adds another 4 people to that list.

So, not drinking and you have a 1% chance of dying, drinking one drink per day and you have a 1.004% chance of dying from those illnesses.

But they new story presents this as a HUGE thing! It's a 0.004% increase in risk. Crossing one more road a day probably increases you risk of dying 10 times more than that.

It's all about the dose, it's all about the risk profile.

Back on topic. Out of how many million people that drink energy drinks, how many have lost limbs? What is the percentage risk profile?

With all the news these days, I think we should introduce a salt tax, as the amount of pinches we take a day is increasing at a rapid rate, obviously this salt tax should be applied to media, so a newspaper like the Daily Mail would see a 100% salt tax added to the price.

Soldato
The issue I have with this is that there is an assumption that been overweight is down to diet all or most of the time, when the biggest cause is metabolism issues and amount of exercise carried out.

When I Was a child I stuffed huge amounts of sweets down my mouth, lots of full fat coke including the super cans (anyone remember those?), cheeseburgers, full fat breakfast cooked in lard etc. Was skinny as a rake, ribs showing etc.

Then when my health problems started my metabolism got affected, and I eat way less fat and sugar foods now, if I do drink coke its now coke zero, and I am obese. My diet is way less calories then it was when I was younger yet I have done a u turn on my body fat content.

The UK has started playing the blame game on various issues, I assume because thats the cheapest thing they can do, but also this no sugar drive has been an opportunity to introduce a new tax to provide revenue to the government.

Associate
People are depressed as the sedentary modern life style makes us so. On the other side, sugar and fat are what our bodies crave biologically speaking and as such eating them releases reward hormones and make us feel good. What could possibly go wrong? People self medicating by eating sugar and fat for comfort. Corporations cashing in.

Soldato
So - is stupid coca-cola taking the **** out of tax legislation and health issues

32869266998_f696e19206_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Are they going to tax artificial sweeteners that your body cant break down as well, you know, just so it actually balances out what natural sugars and "added" sugars do...

Soldato
children watch the coca-cola advert on the internet, even if its not allowed on tv at their times ..
but ,like cigarettes ( before adverts were controlled ), they/CC should have some social responsibility to remind people of dietary issues,
as opposed to a happy go lucky message , virtue signalling the free choice they give their customers.

... following gilette advert... not sure if CC have managed to meld a #metoo message into their products yet ?

Caporegime
Jesus, it's a soft drink that adults can make a free choice about buying, they aren't advertising wraps of heroin or putting a gun to people's head and forcing them to drink it. I think some perspective is needed here.

Soldato
children watch the coca-cola advert on the internet, even if its not allowed on tv at their times ..
but ,like cigarettes ( before adverts were controlled ), they/CC should have some social responsibility to remind people of dietary issues,
as opposed to a happy go lucky message , virtue signalling the free choice they give their customers.

... following gilette advert... not sure if CC have managed to meld a #metoo message into their products yet ?

Actual children rely on their adults for sustenance. If their adult/s are stupid enough to give them what they want all the time that's another matter.

Adults with the mental capacity of children (seems to be the norm now) have no chance

Back
Top Bottom