1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This thread is for thought provoking images

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Ricochet J, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Ricochet J

Capodecina

THE RULES

• Do not post images more than 1024 pixels wide
    • High resolution pics to be provided as a link/url not an image
    • No hotlinking
    • No nudity, adult or offensive material
    • No watermarks or URLs for sites containing content that wouldn't be postable here. If you link or advertise a site in this thread even if it is on an otherwise suitable image, you will be dealt with as if you had posted what you have linked to.
    • No requesting or offering non-postable items via email
    • No quoting of images
    • No moving images
    • If you post at all you must post an image
    • This is Speaker's Corner, not the Random Image Thread
    • Attach a caption with every image posted

Lastly, though not a rule, please at least try to refrain from posting duplicates.

To start us off

[​IMG]

A Nigerian boy wearing sandals from very little resources available.

[​IMG]

In March 1993 Kevin Carter made a trip to southern Sudan. The sound of soft, high-pitched whimpering near the village of Ayod attracted Carter to an emaciated Sudanese toddler. The girl had stopped to rest while struggling to a feeding center, whereupon a vulture had landed nearby. He said that he waited about 20 minutes, hoping that the vulture would spread its wings. It didn't. Carter snapped the haunting photograph and chased the vulture away.

Carter was to comit suicide not long afterwards.

[​IMG]

General Nguyen Ngoc Loan Executing a Viet Cong Prisoner in Saigon is a photograph taken by Eddie Adams on February 1, 1968. It shows South Vietnamese National Police Chief Nguyễn Ngọc Loan executing a Viet Cong officer in Saigon during the Tet Offensive. The event was also captured by NBC News film cameras, but Adams' photograph remains the defining image.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. meghatronic

Capodecina

[​IMG]
    "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

3. Evangelion

Capodecina

Carter actually committed suicide more than a year later.

Here's the Australian village of Kinglake in December 2008:

[​IMG]

The same village in February 2009:

[​IMG]

It was completely wiped out by a massive bushfire that claimed 42 lives and destroyed 500 homes within 24 hours.

[​IMG]

4. Chimerical

Soldato

[​IMG]

5. Evangelion

Capodecina

^^ Brilliant choice.

[​IMG]

Anzac memorial.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  6. Chimerical

Soldato

[​IMG]

7. v0n

Sgarrista

[​IMG]

Shannon Stapleton (Reuters) photo of Father Mychal Judge, the FDNY chaplain being carried away from the towers by firefighter Christian Waugh, former NYPD Lt. William Cosgrove, Goldman Sachs employee John Maguire, Kevin Allen from Office of Emergency Management and firefighter Zachary Vause.

Father Judge became (by the coroners tag on body bag) the first victim of 9/11. Initial on site news wire reports maintained Father Judge died from a blunt force trauma by one of the bodies falling from south tower while giving last rites to a stricken fireman, Daniel Suhr, also fatally hit by falling body. While the first tower continued to burn the body of Father Judge was moved over to corner of Church and Vesey and laid out on the sidewalk for an EMT to pronounce him dead. The same men then picked him up and carried him over to St. Peters's by Barclay Street for last rites.

This on site version of events quickly proven very unpopular and later official media releases began to maintain it was the debris of falling south tower inside lobby of the north tower that took fathers life...

8. Cob

Capodecina

[​IMG]

9. Kodiak

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

10. Evangelion

Capodecina

[​IMG]

Fatal fire at a council housing tower block.

11. XRAY

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

The Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected by Dr. Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while working on a SETI project at The Big Ear radio telescope of Ohio State University. The signal bore expected hallmarks of potential non-terrestrial and non-solar system origin. It lasted for 72 seconds, the full duration Big Ear observed it, but has not been detected since. Amazed at how closely the signal matched the expected signature of an interstellar signal in the antenna used, Ehman circled the signal on the computer printout and wrote the comment "Wow!" on its side. This comment became the name of the signal.

12. Yas786

Caporegime

[​IMG]

Well no words needed really...9/11 the single biggest attack on American soil.

13. The Halk

Capodecina

The Eye of God

[​IMG]
    This is the Helix Nebula. Gas ejected from a dying star, which will eventually become a white dwarf. Another similar object is the Ring Nebula. The Helix Nebula has aquired the name "The Eye of God", I'm sure you can see why.

**Folks in the rules we're supposed to put a caption. Please can we stick to that?

14. Evangelion

Capodecina

North Korean propaganda posters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. NickK

Capodecina

War. Glamourised & justified to defend an ideology.

[​IMG][​IMG]

War. It's true face. When it strips every ounce of humanity and makes your ideology just hypocrisy.

[​IMG][​IMG]

How can you personally justify that?

Edit: Dead Russian women and children innocent civilians killed by Nazi soldiers

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  16. Evangelion

Capodecina

19th Century satirical cartoon, lampooning Edward Jenner's cowpox vaccine:

[​IMG]

Jenner had the last laugh; thanks to his medical genius, cowpox is now extremely rare, and smallpox has been utterly eradicated.

17. K.C. Leblanc

Sgarrista

[​IMG]

This image was on a camera recovered from the afternath of the Omagh bombing in 1998. The bomb was in the red Vauxhall at the front of the shot.

18. Floogie

Hitman

An excellent thread!

My first image is from a news report I read a few months back. It was touching as to me it was the perfect symbol of the common everyday hero. Provided me with faith in the human character and all that.

[​IMG]

And finally...suprised no-one has posted these timeless images yet:

[​IMG]

"Tank man" holding up a column of tanks during the pro-democracy protests of June 5, 1989. It's hard to appreciate how this guy felt after I've lived in a democratic country all my life, but it's still moving. Freedom is something worth dying for and a lot of people like this guy did just that in this country's history to give us the choices we have now.

The photo is made all the more interesting as whatever happened to him afterwards is unknown.

[​IMG]

The most striking image of 9/11 to me is "The Falling Man". When I first saw this it sent shivers down my spine. Just imagine how the guy felt. Leaving for work that morning, probably consumed with trivial problems which seemed so important at that time. Next he's then justifying suicide in his mind and trying to wrestle some self control from a situation where he clearly has none.

No picture has communicated as much to me as this one has. It's changed my politics and outlook on life in general. Shows anything can happen at any given time and life can be pulled from under you like a rug.

19. gillywibble

Capo Crimine

[​IMG]

Hòa thượng Thích Quảng Đức who set himself alight in protest against the persecution of Buddhists by South Vietnam's administration.

These were his last words written down:-

20. Evangelion

Capodecina

Dust storm in Australia last week:

[​IMG]

Nature is an untameable beast.