1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This thread is for thought provoking images

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Ricochet J, Sep 26, 2009.

1. NeilFawcett

Capodecina

That 99% of people are sitting down, and 1% are standing up?

Joking aside, 99% are what?

2. anything I don't mind

PermaBanned

99% of people are poorer than the occupy protesters who are realy a part of a larger 1%

3. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Indeed. Waaah, I'm in the bottom 99% of the top 1%.

4. NeilFawcett

Capodecina

Ahh! I see... So it was nothing to do with standing at all then :)

5. charlaph

Gangster

So is the message supposed to be that an average American male has personal wealth of more than 99% of the worlds population? I find that hard to believe. That would mean only 70m people globally have more than an American who considers himself poor. I'd imagine there would be nearly that number in just North America. If it's saying that the third wo4ld has less than 1% of the worlds overall wealth then it's a misnomer, as the wall street movement was about the distribution of wealth, not about where it currently is?

6. RDM

Capodecina

Isn't the distribution of wealth about where it currently is?

7. charlaph

Gangster

Yeah, I didn't write it very well. More that I think the protestors realise they live in a privileged position, and realise there are a lot of people far worse off than themselves, but that to redistribute their wealth, the even wealthier ones need to start first. I'm still not doing it very well, but in this case I don't think it starts at home for the protestors.

8. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

If you redistribute the wealth you'll need to find a way to maintain that artificial distribution, as it's liable to find its way back into the hands of those currently holding it.

9. deepbroca

Gangster

THIS.

10. ak22

Soldato

1948 Palestinians being Forced out of there homes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  11. ubersonic

Capodecina

Not more than 99% of the worlds population combined just more than them individually, I.E if you live in the US (or the UK for that matter) you are better off than 99% of the people in the world are.

12. Xtrema

Hitman

Obviously they've disabled hotlinking.

http://benatlas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/1948israel1.jpg
    Jewish girl, Rachel Levy, 7, fleeing from burning buildings as the Arabs sack Jerusalem after its surrender. May 28, 1948

http://benatlas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/1948israel3.jpg
    Jewish families being forcibly evacuated from the old city of Jerusalem through Zion's Gate. June 1948

http://benatlas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/1948israel4.jpg
    Jewish families being expelled from Jerusalem. June 1948

http://benatlas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/1948israel71.jpg
    Jewish families waiting outside their homes to be expelled by Arab troops from Jerusalem

http://benatlas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/1948israel7.jpg
    The same streets as above after Arab looting of Jewish homes. Jerusalem. June 1948

http://benatlas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/1948israel22.jpg
    Jewish people attempting to leave portion of city surrendered to Arab forces. Jerusalem, June 1948

http://benatlas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/1948israel23.jpg
    International Red Cross employees helping Jewish refugees as they are expelled by the Arabs from Jerusalem, June 1948

http://benatlas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/1948israel25.jpg
    Elderly Jewish man sitting in street after surrender of city to the Arabs. Jerusalem, June 1948

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  13. ubersonic

Capodecina

images don't work.

14. Xtrema

Hitman

They don't do they. Odd as they did when i first posted it.
    *EDIT*
    The above links should now work.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  15. silversurfer

Capodecina

copy, paste

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. VoG

Soldato

They now come back as forbidden, just upload them to photobucket/image venue etc.

17. Xtrema

Hitman

Ok, let's try again.

[​IMG]
    Jewish girl, Rachel Levy, 7, fleeing from burning buildings as the Arabs sack Jerusalem after its surrender. May 28, 1948

[​IMG]
    Jewish families being forcibly evacuated from the old city of Jerusalem through Zion's Gate. June 1948

[​IMG]
    Jewish families being expelled from Jerusalem. June 1948

[​IMG]
    Jewish families waiting outside their homes to be expelled by Arab troops from Jerusalem

[​IMG]
    The same streets as above after Arab looting of Jewish homes. Jerusalem. June 1948

[​IMG]
    Jewish people attempting to leave portion of city surrendered to Arab forces. Jerusalem, June 1948

[​IMG]
    International Red Cross employees helping Jewish refugees as they are expelled by the Arabs from Jerusalem, June 1948

[​IMG]
    Elderly Jewish man sitting in street after surrender of city to the Arabs. Jerusalem, June 1948

I know the anti Israel fanatics won't like these images as they despise balance, but that's why i posted them; to provide balance.

18. Castiel

Capo Crimine

Xtrema, was the expulsion of the Jewish population of The Old City largely in retaliation for Irgun and the Etzioni and Harel brigades attacks and attempts to expel the Arabs from their side of the city?

Was it not more a case of militias on both sides attacking each other in response to Jerusalem being put under international rule and then the Arab Forces attempting to blockade the city and it was only the victories of the Jewish Militias that forced them to move into Jerusalem and the resulting escalation...

A balanced and objective portrayal would show that both opposing sides were effectively equally culpable, as often is the case in such conflicts.

Within the broader picture I am not convinced that the situation in Israel and the Palestinian Territories can really be blamed on one side or the other, fact is that rocket attacks on Israel are unacceptable, but Israeli retaliation is often excessive and ultimately counterproductive for a Nation that says it wants peace........all the time Israelis are expanding into Palestinian territories there will be no chance of peace and every settlement simply increases resentment, which in turn increases retaliatory actions from militias and terrorist groups........they must know this, which makes me question precisely what the Israeli Administrations intent is.....

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  19. OldCoals

Capodecina

May people would considered that to be ethnic cleansing.

20. Xtrema

Hitman

No i don't believe the expulsions were the results of those attacks, though of course they did happen happen. The Jewish quarter of the old city was (and still is) far smaller than the muslim quarter and was effectively surrounded on three sides. The population of the Jewsh quarter being mainly orthodox and non-combatants in any case.

I would accept hat as a valid reason if the old city was ever under international rule but it never happened as the arabs declined the partition plan while the Jews accepted it.

You are of course so right. The issue is the anti Israel fanatics, of which we have so many here, refuse to see any wrong doing on the part of the arabs. They think nothing of creating and disseminating at best misinformation, and at worse outright lies in order to demonise Israel.

I would question also what the PA intent is. Israel pulled out of Gaza and were rewarded with year after year of rocket attacks from an area which was previously relatively quiet. I have no solutions but the imbalance on the reporting from the region is unacceptable.