Thor: Love and Thunder

Soldato
Is the Joke meant to be that this is happening to "Thor", a literal God, one of the strongest Avengers and someone who killed Thanos? Is this humiliation of one of the last remaining OG Avengers supposed to be the joke?

I mean I really, genuinely hope Hemsworth is happy with his character's 10+ year legacy being torn to shreds for a handsome paid day. At least Iron Man, Cpt America & Black Widow got to bow out gracefully, dignity intact with poignant send-offs by the end of MCU Phase 3 but I suppose the continued crap-fest which is the MCU Phase 4 still feels the need to destroy the final few legacy characters for it to succeed.

Soldato
I wish I was that passionate about something like this.

Thor/The Dark World were both some of the least interesting Marvel films out of the whole bunch. I haven't watched either since being in the cinema. He only got interesting as a character in Ragnarok. In my opinion at least.

Caporegime
I wish I was that passionate about something like this.

Thor/The Dark World were both some of the least interesting Marvel films out of the whole bunch. I haven't watched either since being in the cinema. He only got interesting as a character in Ragnarok. In my opinion at least.

Pretty much this. He didn't have much to do in Age of Ultron either.

I'm so glad they paired comedy Thor from Ragnarok with the Guardians in Infinity War

Soldato
I love how threatened ianh is by the idea of someone poking fun at his favourite hyper-masculine cartoon character :D

"Threatened" isn't the correct word, more like "bemused by the need to do it".

As mentioned previous it looks like a fun film, I just don't understand why Waititi feels the need to constantly belittle the character.

I mean can anyone imagine Marvel trying to do this scene to Iron Man, Cpt America etc, my guess is the actors would've told Marvel to sod off but Hemsworth seems happy to do it I suppose.

Soldato
It wouldn't have really fit those characters that's why. Nothing wrong with Thor showing off his other hammer.

Does it fit Thor thought - OG Thor, Dark World Thor, Avengers 1 and 2 Thor etc? It only kind of fits around Ragnorak Thor but after that we had Infinity Wars and End Game Thor where again it doesn't "feel" like it fits the Thor from those Russo Bros directed films (maybe End Game Thor is closest), it feels like only works because it's Waititi Thor. I think it's the recent flip-flopping of Thor as a character really between Avenger and Comedy Sidekick that reduces the value of Avenger Thor to me.

Now, if we'd only had Waititi Thor from the start then I'd say that it would've felt far more tonally right that Thor's "hammer" gets some air-time. Of the current group of MCU characters I'd say Quill is probably the closest to it making sense if they ended up naked for comedy value, rather than Thor but thats just an opinion.

Soldato
Even that movie isn't a train wreck IMO.

Not to derail this into a Terminator chat but I agree with you, I thought the idea of Connor soon after Judgement Day (i.e. not the leader yet) was fantastic but the film was let down by the silly Sam Worthington half human/half machine idea, something far more advanced than anything seen in the Terminator series upto that point (and even by the end too) where the ability to meld human and robot into a single organism with neither realising the existence of the other within the same body was just poorly thought-out in the rush to "add something new", well for me at least.

Caporegime
Not to derail this into a Terminator chat but I agree with you, I thought the idea of Connor soon after Judgement Day (i.e. not the leader yet) was fantastic but the film was let down by the silly Sam Worthington half human/half machine idea, something far more advanced than anything seen in the Terminator series upto that point (and even by the end too) where the ability to meld human and robot into a single organism with neither realising the existence of the other within the same body was just poorly thought-out in the rush to "add something new", well for me at least.

It was a mid-movie twist, which might have been OK if they hadn't already given it away in the trailer...

Anyway - back to the topic at hand. I've got tickets for Love and Thunder on Thursday evening. Probably the marvel movie I've been looking forward to most since End Game.

Love comedy Thor, Love Taika Waititi.

Hoping there's a cameo from the Grandmaster.

Back
Top Bottom