Thor: Ragnarok - Official Teaser Trailer

Soldato
Total disappointment. Then again I don't like what the directors are doing to Marvel lore. If they are going to distort things as much as they are doing then why don' t call the movies something else? Take the Grandmaster, for example, he's virtually indestructible and a being of great power in the lore, but in the movie they have virtually turned him in to a wuss? Hard to imagine that the Grandmaster joined with his brother attempting to trap Galactus and replace him after watching this etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
How have you watched 17 movies and not realised they are different from the comic books?
Obviously I have but some Marvel movies have not been as bad as others in that regard and I'm not saying that you guys shouldn't enjoy it as it is. The biggest downer for me with it though was when I left asking myself why it was that

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched it again finally. Did enjoy it more the second time round, but still not keen on the changes to thors personality.

It dawned on me the second time just how bad of a week thor was having, he lost everything! Hammer, father, friends, planet and his eyeball! Wonder if that'll reduce his humourous output in the infinity war movie....

Caporegime
Does Jeff Goldblum even bother to act anymore? Just seems in most of his roles he's exactly the same with the obvious exception of what his lines are.

Soldato
Would people accept a complete MCU reboot in ten years time? New actors playing Ironman, Thor, Nick Fury etc? I'm not sure that would go down so well without a decently long gap which Disney won't be happy with. So where do they go? Cap being killed and Bucky becoming Captain America, Valkyrie becoming Thor, even without Mjollnir? I know there's quite a few storylines they can easily go down but some of them are rather ridiculous and often involve retcon or someone magically coming back to life. With the MCU having at least some basis in reality compared to the comics when someone dies they'll likely stay dead. So unless Disney comes up with a plan, in 8-10 years time they'll have to either stop making MCU films and shoot one of their golden gooses, or reboot. And I'm not sure how that's going to go down.

Do they need to reboot? For most of the MCU heroes, it was the MCU that elevated their profile. There's still a huge number of characters that haven't appeared. Bucky as Captain America seems a given, maybe Miles Morales as Spiderman too, but aside from that, I don't really buy the direct replacement idea. It's needless.

The MCU will be just fine, even if the next two Avengers movies remove Nick Fury, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Steve Rogers, Vision, and Thor. To be honest, I hope there is a sizable cull, or at least a sidelining of current front-line characters. It's necessary to make room for new ones.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know, without Iron man, Captain America and Thor and if the X-men are off limits what's left isn't so compelling for the wider non-comic aficionado audience. Once Spiderman and X-Men are removed they are the figureheads of Marvel comics. Captain America particularly is iconic and fills a role like Batman, not a god with ridiculous power.

Caporegime
I don't know, without Iron man, Captain America and Thor and if the X-men are off limits what's left isn't so compelling for the wider non-comic aficionado audience. Once Spiderman and X-Men are removed they are the figureheads of Marvel comics. Captain America particularly is iconic and fills a role like Batman, not a god with ridiculous power.
This was what I was aiming at. Thor, Ironman and Cap are the big draws. Without them or with different actors will the public draw still be there? I'm not sure.

Soldato
This was what I was aiming at. Thor, Ironman and Cap are the big draws. Without them or with different actors will the public draw still be there? I'm not sure.

you say that but before the movies nobody gave a crap about ironman or thor (cap america was at least a little popular).

Marvel have plenty of superheroes they can do the same with.

Caporegime
Agreed.

Iron Man was a big risk at the time. RDJ only got paid $500,000! (He's done pretty well since!)

Guardians of the Galaxy didn't really have any big name actors or well known characters, and that did very well.

Marvel know what they are doing.

Soldato
They easily have Captain Marvel, Spiderman, Valkyrie (as the new Thor), Ant-Man / Wasp, Black panther as a core team. No problem losing Cap / Iron Man / Thor for the franchise. There's so many characters they're bringing into the mix so they can build a new Avengers.

Soldato
Ten years ago, there was a degree of scepticism about Marvel making movies based on those exact same characters. They weren't bankable, at least not in the same way as Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Hulk, Wolverine and Wonder Woman. It was the MCU that made them a success, that raised their profile to people who don't read comic books.

Since then, the MCU has gone on to have success with even more obscure characters, the most notable of which are the Guardians of the Galaxy. That franchise is proving to be a resounding success despite being obscure, even to many comic book fans.

Changing the role that previously key characters play is pretty much essential going forward to make space for developing the new heroes.

Caporegime
Agreed.

Iron Man was a big risk at the time. RDJ only got paid $500,000! (He's done pretty well since!)

Guardians of the Galaxy didn't really have any big name actors or well known characters, and that did very well.

Marvel know what they are doing.

No way! For $140m budget - he got paid less then $1m!? Genuinely surprised.

Back
Top Bottom