Thought USB 3 Was Fast?

Soldato
OP
Guys, I have a 1.5TB hard drive just for games and my steam folder also resides on this. Steam folder alone is nearly 500GB. Now there is a ton of small files scattered throughout my drive, The only realistic way to zip/rar these up would be the whole steam folder and every individual game that isn't in the steam folder to.

Can you not see how doing this would take some time as well as space while compressing, and after that i would have to back them up and if i needed to copy them back i would have to extract them.

To me that seems a bit long winded when all i want to do is backup a drive. Why should it take longer to copy over small files on USB3 than eSata is the real crux of this and that's the answer I seek ;)

Soldato
i guess, but it might still timewise be quicker.
from the brief bits i have read, eSATA will still be quicker :
ESATA (External Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) is the external version of the technology, SATA, that your computer is likely already using for its hard drive. While SATA and eSATA are both older than USB 3.0, its proponents would still claim that it's better than USB 3.0.

They can make this argument because the most common use for eSATA is for external hard drives. Internally, these drives are still using SATA even if you're connecting to these devices with USB or FireWire on the outside. Thus, the argument goes, these devices must use a bridge chip to translate from the ATA protocol to USB or the FireWire IEEE 1394 protocol.

Associate
I got one of these Sharkoon USB 3 caddys too, I am getting about 31mbps transferring from an internal WD Black to an external WD Blue both 1Tb, it's only films I am copying over and is plugged into the correct USB 3 slot on my motherboard, frustrating as I have a USB 2 one that goes just as fast so wasted my money really, if this is its peak speed.

Associate
maybe its something to do with that caddy, i use 2 cheap evolabs ones, and it copies files of around 600mb at a reasonable speed, atleast twice what my usb 2 enclosures do.

Lol I had an evolabs one too, it was the same so I returned it thinking there was a fault. Might be a driver issue maybe, for the actual ports rather than device?

Associate
and its in a usb3.0 port? Plus I think you have to make sure you have got the usb3.0 drivers for your motherboard, cos I dont think windows 7 has any usb3.0 generic drivers?

I installed the Renesas USB 3 Host Controller Driver that was on the CD and updated it later on MSI live update.

Don't have NEC in my Startmenu though

Associate
maybe NEC is for a different type/make. i know my ASRock has it and tells me both controllers firmware.

Ah I think my Renesas is NEC after doing a quick Google search, and yes it shows firmware and driver versions for both controllers. So either my drive caddy does not work or my usb 3 is not working then?

Associate
it looks very puzzling. have you tried moving files of different sizes, so 10mb, 100mb, 500mb, 1GB individually and see if the speeds change?

I used crystaldiskmark and tried different sizes it goes between 29 and 33 mbps for sequential read and slightly less for writes. Will just leave it to run over night I think. There was another 2 ports that can be put into a slot on the case and attached to a header so will try that tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom