Thoughts on ‘15 VW Passat 2.0 TDI SCR 190

Associate
GT spec, Saloon. Manual box. I commute each week to Plymouth from Bromsgrove (185 miles each way).

Anyone have any ownership experience of these?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't have experience of that one but my parents have owned a variety of Passats and generally they are boring but reasonably comfortable for doing a lot of miles and for the most part reliable.

Soldato
I don't have experience of that one but my parents have owned a variety of Passats and generally they are boring but reasonably comfortable for doing a lot of miles and for the most part reliable.
Nail. Head.

I would also consider the Skoda Octavia, very similar and in some areas I preferred it. I regularly had experience of the two as hire cars a few years ago.

Soldato
Have driven the same shape car in Estate form (GT spec, but I think it was the 150ps diesel) a decent distance on motorways, and found it very good at what it set out to do- comfortable, no drama and well screwed together.

It's not supposed to pull the highest G's around a corner! Was particularly impressed with materials etc to say it's not really from a fully fledged premium brand.

Soldato
People who buy Passats have given up on life. People who buy diesel Passats are already vacuous and devoid of a soul. Which is good, because if they still had a soul, driving a Passat would suck it from them. The dullest, most boring car on the planet.

I drove one from a car pool. Everything avout it was just 'okay'. The ride was okay. The handling was okay. The engine was okay. The NVH was okay. The interior was okay. The seats were...not okay. Surprisingly uncomfortable for a big saloon.

Soldato
On a lighter note are the arteon's out of budget ? I want flexibility these days so either an estate or hatch.

Anyway Passats going to be a nicer place to be, and, as good a drive, as forum poster girl, the octavia, ? vrs excepted
my neighbours GTE estate looks good.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Ive looked at the passat as a company car the last 2 times I was due, they arent even all that reliable now, and the interior quality is not as good as it used to be. Not great to drive, but to be fair thats not what they are about, Arteon does look interesting, but its very similar inside, and the chassis is the same.

Personally, if you want boring, save your money and buy a Toyota, or go for a Volvo. If you must have VAG, VW dont represent good value, esp as the Octavia and Superb are cracking cars for the money.

Associate
Can’t comment on that particular model. I picked up a Passat CC last year as my daily commute more than double so I needed a diesel and running a V8 bmw would have broken the bank. I also had use of a estate as our pool car.
A Passat is a bit soulless, actually completely void of soul. They certainly not a fun car to drive but to commute to and from work they are not that bad. They are large enough to use a comfortable family car to. I am certainly bored of it already, but I have no plans to change it at the moment. Just be prepared to get bored of it quickly.

Soldato
I recently got the Passat R-Line estate in lapis blue with the 19” Verona alloys and all the toys.

I have had many many comments on how smart it looks and honestly, the interior quality is lovely, the seats are lovely, the steering wheel and infotainment is smart, well laid out and ergonomic, the boot is massive and the DSG box works a treat.

It’s precisely because it does everything you need it to above average in most regards that it’s one of the most popular cars out there.
I also like the way mine looks.

but I’m sure I’m wrong and it’s a pile of turd and that I’ve given up on life. :)

Last edited:
Soldato

Yep the Passat is the best selling mid size car ever. According to the figures

I suppose ‘best selling’ would be a better word than ‘popular’ but that’s really just splitting hairs. Which is exactly the sort of thing people like to do on here the most

Man of Honour
I suppose ‘best selling’ would be a better word

It doesn't make the top 10:

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/uks-top-10-best-selling-cars-2019-updated/

Unfortunately the Passat sits in a market segment that is less and less popular. Other cars in the same segment are going out of production entirely. It really isn't very popular at all anymore, sadly everyone wants a fake suv or a small hatchback now.

Gone are the days when you couldn't go 60 seconds without seeing a Passat or a Mondeo.

Soldato
I said ‘best selling ever’ - not best selling of 2019.

just google it - it’s one of the most sold models in the world.

agreed with the sentiment about SUV’s - I grew up with estate cars and wouldn’t use an SUV

Soldato
yes at european level it's interesting,
as discussed in electric thread, should be a ressurgance of estates, don't waste your KWh's on Cd

(self elected premium segment lol)

50125588122_13f330c67b_c_d.jpg

Associate
I’m now looking for an auto in estate form with the SE Business spec. Probs be the 150 PS engine. Are the auto (DSG) boxes smooth and reliable?

I had this car previously (saloon version). It was decent car, not exciting but fast enough and relaxing to sit on the motorway for hours. IMO its much better quality than the Skoda Superb unless you need more rear leg space.

The DSG is smooth yes, but reliable is an unknown and would probably depend on how it has been driven brefore. The DSG in that car would needs servicing reguarly (40k miles). I used to get 60+mpg on the motorway with the 150ps diesel. Worth noting they cost £££ to fix if anything does go wrong so I wouldn't want one out of warranty.

If you get one, definitely get a DSG with adapative cruise. It makes long distance motorway driving much less effort.

TBH they aren't particuarly expensive brand new with a 3 or 5 year warranty so it might even be worth comparing prices through brokers (Drive the Deal etc). Older SE business spec don't have android auto/carplay etc and are missing things like climate control and LED lights.

Soldato
yes at european level it's interesting,
as discussed in electric thread, should be a ressurgance of estates, don't waste your KWh's on Cd

(self elected premium segment lol)

50125588122_13f330c67b_c_d.jpg

Didn’t realise the Model 3 was so close in sales to the big 3, wow! It wasn’t even available in all countries in 2019.

Back
Top Bottom