Thoughts on eye prescription

Soldato
I had an eye test today and think the results are a bit weird.

My prescription 5 years ago was as follows:

Right Eye:
Sph -1.00
Cyl -0.50
Axis 180

Left Eye:
Sph -1.00
Cyl -0.25
Axis 90

Now I think my right eye is a bit worse but my prescription today is as follows:

Right Eye:
Sph -1.00
Cyl -0.25
Axis 95

Left eye:
Sph -1.25
Cyl -0.25
Axis 140

Does this new prescription not suggest that my left eye is worse than my right? I'm pretty sure that's not the case and wondering if the optician has copied it down wrong. Seems unlikely but I'm struggling to make sense of it.

I was planning to order glasses online but not sure if I should now.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Associate
I ordered glasses online & they were OK, but the ones I bought from a high street optician were far better, plus have a lot more after care.

Soldato
You think that's bad, the last time I went to the optician they had to refer me to the Ophthalmology dept. at the Royal Stoke. The reason, and to paraphrase her including the slip of the tongue, "I'll refer you to the hospital for further tests because it looks like you may have Kerry Katona in your left eye". Gave me the ******* shivers.

Imagine my relief when it only turned out to be Keratoconus.

Associate
Your left prescription is ever so slightly more minus than your right (one step) but possibly depending upon eye dominance you may not even notice much difference between them. The strangest thing about that prescription is that your axis in the right eye has basically flipped 90 degrees.

Soldato
I had an eye test today and think the results are a bit weird.

My prescription 5 years ago was as follows:

Right Eye:
Sph -1.00
Cyl -0.50
Axis 180

Left Eye:
Sph -1.00
Cyl -0.25
Axis 90

Now I think my right eye is a bit worse but my prescription today is as follows:

Right Eye:
Sph -1.00
Cyl -0.25
Axis 95

Left eye:
Sph -1.25
Cyl -0.25
Axis 140

Does this new prescription not suggest that my left eye is worse than my right? I'm pretty sure that's not the case and wondering if the optician has copied it down wrong. Seems unlikely but I'm struggling to make sense of it.

I was planning to order glasses online but not sure if I should now.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Which eye dominant are you?

If you are left eye dominant your brain might have favored the image processing in your left eye and sacrificed the superior right eye vision giving you the impression that it is the right eye that has deteriorated.

Soldato
OP

If you are left eye dominant your brain might have favored the image processing in your left eye and sacrificed the superior right eye vision giving you the impression that it is the right eye that has deteriorated.

The left may have deteriorated as well but the right eye is definitely worse than the left.

Thanks for the replies.

Associate

I don't think it works like that - your dominant eye is more sensitive to prescription change than your non dominant so you'd notice change less in the non-dominant eye.

Permabanned
I suspect the reason for the change in axis is because many opticians are moving away from degrees to radians as a unit for measuring astigmatism. This is to allow computational fluid dynamics simulations to be run on the eyeball by the opticians to predict diffusion through the vitreous humour and hence gain a mesostatistical understanding of degenerative eye conditions.

Soldato
I don't think it works like that - your dominant eye is more sensitive to prescription change than your non dominant so you'd notice change less in the non-dominant eye.

You may be right, I was only making an educated guess as i were. Brains and image processing is interesting.

I have a condition called Occlusion.

As a child I had a squint, My brain decided which eye gave the best image and basically switched off the other one. there is nothing physically wrong with the inferior eye, it is just that the brain ignores the images that it provides.

The effect is not total, I had surgery as a child to correct the squint and it was mostly corrected I can actually see reasonably well from the poor eye, just not as well as I might have done.

But the poor eyesight in that eye really is all in the mind, it is down to how my brain has chosen to process the information, not because of a physical defect as such.

I was just considering the possibility that something similar might have happened here.

I'll put £20 for anyone on OcUK to beat -27.

Right eye: blind
Left eye: -27 lens

My sister is -7 and apparently that is meant to be quite bad too. Without my -27 lens, I'm looking through a frosted glass window. Basically blind. With the lens in, I see 2 metres.

Associate
I have a condition called Occlusion.

I think that you might mean suppression.

My sister is -7 and apparently that is meant to be quite bad too. Without my -27 lens, I'm looking through a frosted glass window. Basically blind. With the lens in, I see 2 metres.

That is awful. -7 is a pain but I don't think it's that hugely unusual. -27 on the other hand probably makes you a supervillain.

Man of Honour

If everyone on OcUK took you up on that bet, you'd be seriously rich.

I've got -7, -5 and a whole bunch of astigmatism in both eyes and it is quite bad. An optician told me my natural eyesight would be classed as "functionally blind", although I wouldn't agree. I think that would be over-stating it much too much. I can see shapes, albeit very blurred, and have a range of a few inches of vision clear enough to read standard text with some difficulty. That's simply not blind. I did a comparison to average vision test for a laugh and I couldn't get a complete result because it only went up to 20/800 and my natural eyesight is worse than that in my left eye. But hey, I have 20/600 in my right eye, woo! But there's a hugely important factor - the right lenses completely correct my vision. The downer now I'm getting older is that I also have presbyopia which is of course getting worse and I'm now close to needing varifocal lenses or carrying two pairs around all the time.

Caporegime
I'd probably go and have another test before ordering glasses online, if you think the results are wrong.

What does it cost these days, £15? Worth it for peace of mind.

Soldato
You think that's bad, the last time I went to the optician they had to refer me to the Ophthalmology dept. at the Royal Stoke. The reason, and to paraphrase her including the slip of the tongue, "I'll refer you to the hospital for further tests because it looks like you may have Kerry Katona in your left eye". Gave me the ******* shivers.

Imagine my relief when it only turned out to be Keratoconus.

Does that affect you much? I was reading about it a couple of weeks ago.. I make extra care never to rub my eyes, I had no idea that could cause it.

I am -5 and -7.

Back
Top Bottom