Thousands of Hotmail/win live passwords leaked online

Soldato
might wanna change your password if you have a hotmail/live account

Neowin has received information regarding a possible Windows Live Hotmail "hack" or phishing scheme where password details of thousands of Hotmail accounts have been posted online.

An anonymous user posted details of the accounts on October 1 at pastebin.com, a site commonly used by developers to share code snippets. The details have since been removed but Neowin has seen part of the list posted and can confirm the accounts are genuine and most appear to be based in Europe. The list details over 10,000 accounts starting from A through to B, suggesting there could be additional lists. Currently it appears only accounts used to access Microsoft's Windows Live Hotmail have been posted, this includes @hotmail.com, @msn.com and @live.com accounts.

Neowin has reported this immediately to Microsoft' Security center and to Microsoft's PR teams in the UK and US and we are currently awaiting feedback on the situation. As this is a breaking story please check back frequently as the story will be updated as soon as more information becomes available.

If you are a Windows Live Hotmail user we recommend that you change your password and security question immediately.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/10/05/thousands-of-hotmail-passwords-leaked-online

Last edited:
Soldato
So if your email begins with a C or after the details havn't been posted as of yet?

Edit: Also was it only a phising scam or did they actually get into the database?

Edit 2: Now I think about it, it's only 10,000 so nothing to worry about really :o

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
don't flame me, just worth noting i guess and maybe consider changing if you feel the need, i know this happens a lot but its been mentioned on a few could IT sites so i'm taking note

Soldato
"Ar and ends Bl"

doh!

not too fussed, is it fished ones only?

my hotmail has it's own unique password anyway

If it's phished only then I would imagine us lot are safe but it doesn't say in the op for definite if it was just a phishing scam or if it was a database hack. In this instance, even though my hotmail account is used purely for spam purposes (ie the receival, not generation of), I think I'll play it safe and change my password.

Soldato
OP
If it's phished only then I would imagine us lot are safe but it doesn't say in the op for definite if it was just a phishing scam or if it was a database hack. In this instance, even though my hotmail account is used purely for spam purposes (ie the receival, not generation of), I think I'll play it safe and change my password.

there is a link which might have more info

Back
Top Bottom