1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Threadripper Build... on its last legs New Part advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by smogsy, 11 Sep 2021.

1. smogsy

Sgarrista

So today my Threadripper build (2950x) decided to fubar itself Every post gets TEST NVRAM & fails post

• I have managed workaround fix by re-flashing the by BIOS twice & resetting Defaults however any BIOS change then breaks BIOS & have to reflash again
    • So right now i have to flash my BIOS every bootup to get past POST :o
    so, after seeing prices of second hand X399 boards thought it made more sense to buy a 5th Gen + X590 & a new case (as my lian li has some damage now!)

any suggestions? this rig is just for gaming & AI calculations Would be nice to have a smaller case for sure!

Current Spec
    2950X
    ASUS Zenith Extreme
    32GB 3200
    6x NVME drives
    3090 RTX
    1300w Seasonic Powersupply

2. smogsy

Sgarrista

to add usbs now keep disconnecting :(

3. Quartz

Capodecina

That's a wierd error: have you tried changing the CMOS battery?

You're going to need a Threadripper or Xeon W. With Threadripper Pro being out and about to be replaced by the 5000 series you might get some good deals on plain Threadripper 3000 systems.

4. smogsy

Sgarrista

i yet have not changed the BIOS battery, but even reboots cause this error, so dont think its a charge issue. worth a try but doubt it will fix it. seem quite common on ASUS boards.

currently using one of these https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Accessories/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD-V2/

thought could run
    2x NVME from Motherboard
    4x from NVME board using 8x PCI-E 4.0
    1x16/8 for 3090

5. Quartz

Capodecina

You might only get two cards to work, depending on the intelligence of the card.

6. Pulseammo

Wise Guy

If you can solder you might be able to remove the old BIOS chip and attach a new one if it's the chip its self which is going bad.

7. smogsy

Sgarrista

I think it's a mounted chip. As first board I got had doa bios chip but Asus wanted the entire board returned...

8. sandys

Wise Guy

Yup the asus only re routes lanes so you'll only get only 8 lanes / 2 NVMe, I use a QNAP QM2-4P-384 in my x570 which has a switch to run 16 lanes down to 8x, works great accepting you can't get 16x lanes of performance now,

9. Heliocentric

Associate

Fading cmos battery cause the most mysterious problems. Seriously, just try it.