• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Soldato
Ryzen Threadripper 2990X at 3.0GHz base/3.7GHz boost in 3DMark database https://www.techpowerup.com/245570/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990x-makes-an-appearance-on-3dmark

and with the price tag of €1510:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X 32 Core, 64 Thread Behemoth X399 HEDT CPU To Cost Around $1500 US – Listed By Retailer, Wrecks the i9-7980XE in Price Per Core, Price Per Performance Metrics

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X Flagship CPU Listed Online, Features Price Close To $1500 US – Bye Bye Core i9-7980XE, More Cores For Much Less Than Intel’s Current Flagship
https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990x-cpu-price-1500-usd-leak/

The shocking part is the listed 180W :eek:

It was a done thing that AMD would screw Intel with the price but 180W for decent clocks on a 32 core cpu...

Typo? Actually exceptional chips in this? (180w is the same as the current 16 core)

Ehhh i'm going to go with copy pasted specs from a different cpu.

Last edited:
Soldato
180w seems too low for those clock speeds, so most likely a typo. Unless AMD has somehow worked up some crazy magic...

But the price is even more insane, Intel's current 18 core is well over that price (around €400 from a quick search). TR boards are a little cheaper too so you really have to be crazy to pick Intel over this.

Soldato
But can the existing X399 boards handle it? Gigabyte have a refreshed Aorus Extreme for TR2, but what about previous monsters like the Asus Zenith?
The AMD rep on reddit has indicated current boards will run it at stock - but might not be best suited for OC unless you've got one of the high end X399, also current boards will need BIOS update to support precision boost (I guess there's a chance some boards like the Asus Prime won't be able to fully boost the 32c)

Permabanned
Ryzen 7 2700 at its 65W at 4.1GHz is good enough to make it a decent 25-35-45W notebook chip.
When will they release laptops with Ryzen? It's been more than a year and still nothng.

Permabanned
What, other than the Acer Swift 3, ASUS Strix GL702ZC, Lenovo Ideapad 720S, Lenovo Thinkpad E485, Huawei Matebook D, Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 and Dell Inspiron 15 5000?

And that's a 3 second Google search.

This is a fake search.
I am looking in the shops/stores and there are exactly 0 4K notebooks with any AMD chips whatsoever available.

edit: I found yours but they are all with Ryzen 3 2200 and full HD or lower screens. So, meh.

Soldato
This is a fake search.
I am looking in the shops/stores and there are exactly 0 4K notebooks with any AMD chips whatsoever available.

edit: I found yours but they are all with Ryzen 3 2200 and full HD or lower screens. So, meh.

You didn't say anything about a 4K screen :p and pretty much all of those I listed have configuration options all the way to a Ryzen 7.

Soldato
The AMD rep on reddit has indicated current boards will run it at stock - but might not be best suited for OC unless you've got one of the high end X399, also current boards will need BIOS update to support precision boost (I guess there's a chance some boards like the Asus Prime won't be able to fully boost the 32c)

The VRM side of the board would have to be pretty weak. I'd think all of the X399 boards would allow for overclocking and increased voltages to some extent.

Soldato
The VRM side of the board would have to be pretty weak. I'd think all of the X399 boards would allow for overclocking and increased voltages to some extent.
I think this was the thread with comments from AMD rep in:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8tblso/buildzoids_thoughts_on_the_threadripper_2_32_core/

AMD_james
Product Manager

TL;DW. The existing motherboards won't have an issue with 2nd Gen Threadripper. How do I know? Unlike Buildzoid, I've got hands on time with the product (I have evidence of this as part of the Computex press event where I ran the blender head to head demos for the press). Overclocking is never guaranteed.

Wait till you see the reviews to make up your own mind.

EDIT - for those of you who are still responding to this, thank you for your messages calling me a retard, it inspires me to help more of you with your issues or pass along your feedback. I visit this community because of my own interests, not my job requirements.

Buildzoid has edited the title of his video, to be clearer for those who are not long time viewers of his channel, and not fully familiar of the context of his comments.

This is one of those videos that tends to go beyond normal viewership because of it's discussion of the most highly anticipated products so far this year, speculating on issues/problems that have yet to be seen.

There were some other comments to, but the video in the OP seems sensible in regards to some of the limits that might be hit if running an OC of 32c TR - though also lots of speculation...

Can't wait for release and some more details tbh!

Kei

Kei

Soldato
My 1920x running at 3.975GHz using a constant 1.325V uses roughly 220-235W when under full load depending on the instruction set. The VRM's on my gigabyte gaming 7 board get up to around 80 degrees at worst when stressed for a long period. I would expect the VRM temperature to exceed 100 degrees once the power draw passes 250W which I have no doubt the 24/32C parts could easily manage once overclocked.

Permabanned
My 1920x running at 3.975GHz using a constant 1.325V uses roughly 220-235W when under full load depending on the instruction set. The VRM's on my gigabyte gaming 7 board get up to around 80 degrees at worst when stressed for a long period. I would expect the VRM temperature to exceed 100 degrees once the power draw passes 250W which I have no doubt the 24/32C parts could easily manage once overclocked.

Is it possible to mount a fan to blow directly cool air on the VRMs?

Soldato
Ryzen 7 2700 at its 65W at 4.1GHz is good enough to make it a decent 25-35-45W notebook chip.
When will they release laptops with Ryzen? It's been more than a year and still nothng.

This is a fake search.

You asked the question where are the Ryzen notebooks, you were shown. You then proceed to move the goal posts after being shown some.

Are people supposed to read your mind? :/

EDIT: OH yeah.. here's one with a 4K display, options for up to Ryzen 7, 1TB NVMe SSD, and Vega10 GPU.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-13z-touch-laptop-3ec92av-1

Yawn.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom