• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Soldato
Depends what "mixing" ram means. Given how Threadripper is working, with each chip having access to it's own ram banks, assuming someone buys two identical dual channel kits (and i mean IDENTICAL in brand, speed, even manufacturing day) I wont be surprised to be non issue, compared to intel where the memory is more sensitive because is shared as whole across the CPU.

Just don't. It may work, it may not. Depends on the guardband the vendor is using. Memory is binned in the density it is sold in, by combining kits it doesn't matter if they're a serial number apart, you're still eating into the guardband and stability may not be possible at the same frequency, timings or voltage. It's fine if you want to do this yourself, just don't tell others to.

Also, I do understand what you're alluding to with the memory channels being segregated to two per die - but there are other factors involved, too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just don't. It may work, it may not. Depends on the guardband the vendor is using. Memory is binned in the density it is sold in, by combining kits it doesn't matter if they're a serial number apart, you're still eating into the guardband and stability may not be possible at the same frequency, timings or voltage. It's fine if you want to do this yourself, just don't tell others to.

True. I doubt there are any savings to buy 2 dual channel kits compared to a single quad channel. Probably the latter is cheaper these days, and to make a meaningful saving has to be £100+. Otherwise someone is gambling that money.

Man of Honour
Outside of server specific applications, between 0 and very little.

TR is dual channel though, only Epyc is quad. I think he's alluding to getting more capacity in one matched kit rather than buying "quad channel" memory.

No it isn't - TR runs quad channel.

Soldato
What's the real world gain with Quad channel v Dual channel?

TR needs quad channel otherwise performance tanks.

Outside of server specific applications, between 0 and very little.

TR is dual channel though, only Epyc is quad. I think he's alluding to getting more capacity in one matched kit rather than buying "quad channel" memory.

TR needs quad channel as EPYC needs octachannel to perform at 100%.

Soldato
Soldato
Depends what "mixing" ram means. Given how Threadripper is working, with each chip having access to it's own ram banks, assuming someone buys two identical dual channel kits (and i mean IDENTICAL in brand, speed, even manufacturing day) I wont be surprised to be non issue, compared to intel where the memory is more sensitive because is shared as whole across the CPU.

It's been fine for me with TR1 - 32 GB of 8 pack 3200Mhz memory (the tighter settings model), in completely different packaging when it arrived too is working just fine. Selected the XMP profile and been 100% stable, often running 24/7

Soldato
Still trying to cling onto any hope eh? :D
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Monst...cials/PC-Specs-Benchmark-Test-Review-1262273/

Code:
As always, we use the latest AMD and Nvidia drivers, in this case the Radeon Software 18.8.1 and the Geforce 398.82 WHQL . Both manufacturers promote their drivers with compatibility respectively best experience in Monster Hunter World, the comparison could not be ergo fairer.

Have you seen the benchmark or you blind? :p
At what point the Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 beats the Vega 64 in average frame rate?

If anyone goes to see the review, I would like to point to the R9 290X/390X performance. :D

Soldato
It's been fine for me with TR1 - 32 GB of 8 pack 3200Mhz memory (the tighter settings model), in completely different packaging when it arrived too is working just fine. Selected the XMP profile and been 100% stable, often running 24/7

And that's fine, it's what you then do when it doesn't work where most users come unstuck...

Soldato
Have you seen the benchmark or you blind? :p
At what point the Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 beats the Vega 64 in average frame rate?

If anyone goes to see the review, I would like to point to the R9 290X/390X performance. :D

Oh my lord, show me where i said it does.
I said the vega barely beats the cheaper 1080. You are an inch from my block list lol. You come out with so much BS

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

2700X is probably a better buy than a 1920X right now if you don't want to deal with the NUMA issues.

Numa issues are sorted with recent Windows patches - I just leave the system in UMA mode now for everything - no need to mess with game mode etc unless you're running some kind of archaic old game, but then you're best running those in a VM anyway.

Soldato
Oh my lord, show me where i said it does.
I said the vega barely beats the cheaper 1080. You are an inch from my block list lol. You come out with so much BS

The "cheaper" GTX1080 is overclocked, so your "barely" is 10% FPS difference.
Also you came in here with graphic benchmarks while we are talking about HEDT CPUs.

Twice you polluted the discussion with gaming referenced to 8700K
We know you trying to justify your purchase, but please spare us the crap.

Soldato
Oh boy, it's time for talking garbage about gaming in the threadripper thread.

Nothing new, nothing important. Just those urges to do it.

Soldato
The "cheaper" GTX1080 is overclocked, so your "barely" is 10% FPS difference.
Also you came in here with graphic benchmarks while we are talking about HEDT CPUs.

Twice you polluted the discussion with gaming referenced to 8700K
We know you trying to justify your purchase, but please spare us the crap.

Please take the time to go back and see who bought up the 8700K :rolleyes:
Please take the time to see who bought the 1080ti up :rolleyes:

You have a very short memory

Back
Top Bottom