• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Associate
Did you just say AMD can turn the 8086K into an 1950X! :eek:
giphy.gif

Soldato
Looks like the Threadripper prices are starting to move down to make way for these 24/32C beasts, 1950X's at <£600, that is staggeringly good value for a CPU with that core count. :)
<£600 is a great price for what is a real slab of a CPU :). I'll be keeping mine a long time in the workstation and when I've finished with it someday I might just frame it and stick in on the wall in the man cave. I just hope I'm not tempted by TR2 :). I have a suspicion the rumoured 2800X will be used in the top end TR2's.

Soldato
The 1900x is cheaper now than the 1800x was. Yes it's 'only' the 8/16 but you still get quad channel memory and the extra PCIe lanes. I'm actually seriously considering selling my 8Pack delid (does 5GHz all cores and 5GHz cache/ring with no AVX offset, 1.35v) to get one of the new TR CPUs later this year. I was in two minds when CL and Zen came out, but the TR would suit my workload more really, especially now the IPC and speeds are closing up.
I seem to remember Threadripper chips not being good for gaming because of their die configuration. Is a Threadripper 1950X two dies with one CCX each, or a single die with two CCXs like an R7 1800X?

Man of Honour
I seem to remember Threadripper chips not being good for gaming because of their die configuration. Is a Threadripper 1950X two dies with one CCX each, or a single die with two CCXs like an R7 1800X?

It's fine, I run all my games stock (16 core 32 thread) with distributed (UMA) memory and it's never caused me an issue. I run my cpu at 3.7 base with xfr which boosts around 4 cores up to around 4.3 and it just does what it does. To be honest I am not one to try and eek every last frame but I've never once been disappointing with its gaming performance.

Also it's two active dies on 1950x.

Soldato

I don't game, so it's neither here nor there to me. I'm interested in VMs, transcoding and playing with high end network stuff mostly.

Soldato
Same as above for me - 1950X with a GTX 1070 is fine for gaming. It's probably not such a good choice of your into benchmarking.

I think TR is a good choice if your running a lot of VM's but dont want to have to have a separate server, I can be running a dozen VM's in the background and doesn't really seem to impact running games at all

Soldato
Used a TXP before in a 6700K and then the 1950 X and although it was only a few games and benches, there was hardly anything in it at 1440P, a few FPS win only for the 6700K.

Had a bit of a play at the weekend and found running FarCry 5 and using Sli (two 1070 Ti's) there's actually a decent bump to be had by switching the CPU profile to Game mode, an improvement of about 12%. Using a single card there was only a small difference in Gaming mode vs Creator mode. I didn't really come to a conclusion and was just the one game. In either mode the Sli cards were scaling worse than I expected in the game (only 22% when run in Gaming mode). Out of interest I ran TimeSpy in Creator Mode and both GPU's were fully utilised for most of the GPU side of the bench and the score was over double vs a single card, so nothing wrong with the CPU being able to drive the two GPU's.

If I get time I'd like to try both the 1070 Ti's in the 6700K system and compare single vs sli. I think there wont be much in it at 1440P when using a single card but would be interesting to see if FC5 performance scales better with Sli in the Intel system in actual games rather than a benchmark.

Soldato
From the reddit post with the details it looks like the 16 core, 24 core and 32 core are the only planned SKUs - which makes sense I suppose - surprising high boost on the 32c part:

Threadripper 2990X

• 32C/64T
  • 12nm LP (GF)
  • TDP 250W
  • TR4 socket
  • Cache: 3MB L1, 16MB L2, 64MB L3
  • Freq: Base 3GHz, All Core Underload 3.4GHz, Precision Boost 4GHz, XFR Boost 4.2GHz
  • OC: Corsair H150i Pro AIO, 1.38v, 4.12GHz, Cinebench R15 score 6399
Planned SKUs: 2950X (16C), 2970X (24C).

Translation: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh&tl=en&u=https://www.hkepc.com/16912/

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/8salch/amd_ryzen_threadripper_2990x_32c64t_cpu_spec/

Back
Top Bottom