threadripper

Soldato
Building a new gaming rig. is it worth getting a 1900x/1920x or would you just go for a Ryzen 7. or maybe neither and stick with intel ? TIA

Hi

I would stick with Ryzen R5/R7 or an i5 8600K/i7 8700K if you are just gaming. Unless you plan on doing content creation etc then no point going with TR4. Even then you would be fine with an 8 core R7.

What is your budget for the pc ? Do you need a monitor as well ?

Associate
OP
monitor not needed and budget is 2k
want to go for full liquid cooled. have a 780ti so GPU is something i might buy at a later date so i can build a future proof rig.
really struggling with what to buy

Soldato
monitor not needed and budget is 2k
want to go for full liquid cooled. have a 780ti so GPU is something i might buy at a later date so i can build a future proof rig.
really struggling with what to buy

If you were thinking of dropping £500- £650 on a CPU plus another £300 on the MB i would get the 8700K as it suddenly seems like a bargain CPU and has superior gaming performance than Threadripper. Plus, you'll have a lot more to spend on a the GPU...

And if you're going fully under water it's heat wont be an issue...

What monitor do you have?

Associate
OP
samsung u28d590 4k and DELL u2713HM 2k ips. Isnt the 8700k going to be obsolete really quick with it being 3rd gen of the same chipset? or have i miss heard that?

Soldato
samsung u28d590 4k and DELL u2713HM 2k ips. Isnt the 8700k going to be obsolete really quick with it being 3rd gen of the same chipset? or have i miss heard that?
No, you're correct but it would last you a good 3/5 years for gaming purposes - how often do you upgrade?

Have you considered waiting until April for the new Ryzen releases - better clocks - or even 1700/1800X as you're only gaming at 60Hz.

Your monitors are only 60Hz - and at 4k/1440p will be very GPU reliant - you could put the extra money saved towards a quality 1080Ti.

What are you upgrading from?

Associate
OP
uprgrading from a i5 2500k overclocked to about 3.8. Was a great bang for buck chip when i got it like 5 years ago. Basically what everyone on here said was best bang for buck at the time! LONG overdue upgrade i have stretched it out for aslong as i could. originally i had it on a radeon 7950 built the system basically on the release of them. Later upgrading to the 780.

Whats the info on the new ryzen chips? they will still fit AM4 so a 1800x could be a good idead? plenty bang for buck at £300 for that chipset? yea im only gaming at 60hz

Soldato
uprgrading from a i5 2500k overclocked to about 3.8. Was a great bang for buck chip when i got it like 5 years ago. Basically what everyone on here said was best bang for buck at the time! LONG overdue upgrade i have stretched it out for aslong as i could. originally i had it on a radeon 7950 built the system basically on the release of them. Later upgrading to the 780.
I'm still running a 2500K at 4.4GHz paired with a GTX 1070 and a 1440p IPS DELL. The GPU upgrade was meant to be a temporary upgrade but i've been so impressed i'm waiting for April...

Whats the info on the new ryzen chips? they will still fit AM4 so a 1800x could be a good idead? plenty bang for buck at £300 for that chipset? yea im only gaming at 60hz
Yes, they'll still fit the AM4 boards - that's the appeal of Ryzen.

Whichever CPU you jump to the performance upgrade will be huge - especially coupled with a GTX 1080Ti.

Here's an example build - added a 1700X as better chance of higher clock and a 1080Ti ready for water:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,913.58 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Soldato
@Plec ^^^^ your killing me right there !

Though found the C400 not the best for water cooling , specially not custom. Worth pushing P400 if needs be or Pure 600/ Fractal R5

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £407.98 (includes shipping: £23.10)​

If you play to VR, that Aorus has internal HDMI connectors, get VR panel for the Pure 600 or like minded case and job done

Last edited:
Soldato
@Plec ^^^^ your killing me right there !
That card still on your wish list? :D

Though found the C400 not the best for water cooling , specially not custom. Worth pushing P400 if needs be or Pure 600/ Fractal R5
Yeah, a lazy quick example.

I certainly would defer to your greater experience in this area - although how many fans were you trying to cram in there? :D

I'm a big fan of the In-WIn (even though it has a window) - looks even better in the flesh. Although i still think i'm getting your case when i finally do my build.

Last edited:
Soldato
That card still on your wish list? :D

Yeah, a lazy quick example.

I certainly would defer to your greater experience in this area - although how many fans were you trying to cram in there? :D

I'm a big fan of the In-WIn (even though it has a window) - looks even better in the flesh. Although i still think i'm getting your case when i finally do my build.

Never can have enough ! Tried to push my friend on to 9x silent wings but the cost was toooo great haha

I just wish the 303 had a 140 in the rear so depth would be increase for thick rad at the top, maybe another 30mm added to height for 30mm rad at the bottom and not clash with Mobo connections at the bottom

Associate
OP
Have read a few reviews and see your point! Fractal design r6 is another option. gets good reviews.

Going to have to have a run up to the shop on sat i think as my head is mashed with parts to choose from. some advice is needed really! motherboard for £180 for £300 i cant really see much difference but there must be

Associate
I've just upgraded from a i5 2500k / 980ti to the following

I7 8700k
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS ultra motherboard
Team group DDR4 16gb memory
Silent loop superior cpu cooler
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080TI

Still in the box at home waiting till the weekend to put it all in

Soldato
I've just upgraded from a i5 2500k / 980ti to the following

I7 8700k
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS ultra motherboard
Team group DDR4 16gb memory
Silent loop superior cpu cooler
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080TI

Still in the box at home waiting till the weekend to put it all in

got to get some snaps of that bad boy! love the block but my wallet doesn't haha

Have read a few reviews and see your point! Fractal design r6 is another option. gets good reviews.

Going to have to have a run up to the shop on sat i think as my head is mashed with parts to choose from. some advice is needed really! motherboard for £180 for £300 i cant really see much difference but there must be

which mobo's youve been checking out?

Back
Top Bottom