Tiled flooring

Soldato
Whats everyone's opinion on tiled floors?
Went to see a house yesterday that I'm interested in and the floor is tiled in the kitchen/hallway/downstairs WC. Even through my socks I could feel the cold, there is no underfloor heating. Its really put me off the house as it would cost quite a bit (in comparison to the house cost 120k) to replace as it will just be concrete under neigh not wood sub-base.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My opinion is that it's good for practicality in the kitchen, utility, and toilet, but is a bit harsh and 'unhomely' for other living spaces, especially without ufh.

Wouldn't put me off a house that was otherwise perfect though, as you can wear slippers and gradually replace room by room.

I'm not sure why it being a concrete substrate would make it more expensive to replace though. If anything concrete is more likely to be nice and flat ready for some nasty vinyl planks :p.

Associate
We have porcelain tile through our kitchen, which is 8m x 10m without any UFH and don't notice it being cold underfoot (no UFH), but maybe I am used to it. I do tend to wear socks and flip flops around the house as a general rule. Removing any tile that you don't want shouldn't be too hard. Then you could lay carpet, LVT, Wood etc. It wouldn't be a show stopper on a house for me, any more than paint or wallpaper would.

Soldato
My kitchen which is an extension, and basically has 4 external walls, is single storey and has huge windows, has a tiled floor. And it is bloody cold this time of the year. I curse the previous owner for not doing underfloor heating when he put the extension on.

They are beautiful tiles, and when it's not so cold it won't be an issue. My son (3yo) basically won't step foot in the kitchen without slippers at the moment.

I'm somewhat of a convert now
Ive got tiled bathroom, kitchen / diner, 2x ensuites and the only bit that seems cold is the kitchen diner. Thats basically because there is only 1 rad in a large area as the wallspace just doesnt allow more, plus my other half hates closing doors even though I have proved if you do the space heats ok.

I did initially agree they are cold, but. The only time we spend a long time in that area in effect is when cooking, or cooking a big meal and eating at the table. So these times it warms up from the cooking anyway.

Our ensuites and bathroom are wierd, Im not sure if the plumber put a loop in or something but you can feel some warmth from the floors. If we put a bathmat down for example after 30 minutes its warmer underneath. Its defoo not underfloor heating.
Again these rooms tend to heat up when having a bath/shower anyway (all have decent rads compared to size so are never cold)

I think if the rooms are warm your not going to notice, but if they are cold then as the point of contact is the floor thats where you will feel it.
Everywhere we dont have tile is hardwood, and the cat will sit in the doorway to the lounge or hall this time of year rather than sit on the floor in the kitch/diner :) So she can tell the difference.

Soldato
We have tiled flooring in the old house throughout downstairs. It was a bit cold but the house was a mid terrace with all the cladding etc so was warm enough, it did convince us to go hard flooring downstairs though. New house has parquet but if it didn't we certainly would have replaced the carpet with karndean or the like.

Soldato
We have a mixture of tiles and wood downstairs. No carpet. If you have pets, then hard floors is the only practical option.

We do have under floor heating in the kitchen, but this winter with electric bills sky rocketing I've left it off. I always wear 'house shoes' anyway.

Caporegime
I don't get why carpets are so out of fashion in favour of hard plastic planks. Carpets are so comfy and homely.
Harder to clean, probably won't last as long, can be smelly and washing them whilst possible ain't easy
also when you do wash them some of the colour probably comes out as it did in mine. looks fine though but wouldn't wash it often.

I like hard wooden floors, if it's not a cheap job just annoying if someone sprays something and makes the floor slippy.
half killed my self multiple times on parquet whilst wearing socks

Back
Top Bottom