• Competitor rules

    Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Time for a new GPU, what to buy?

Associate
Joined
1 Dec 2015
Posts
1,176
With prices for Vega 56 very high on eBay

I'm tempted to spend the £600 I have saved for a new GPU and add it to whatever my v56 sells for ( hopefully £350+)

It seems like ocuk have a few cards in stock now but I'm not really sure what to buy.

I'm tempted by this 3070ti for 989
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...dr6x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1dw-gi.html

Or this 6800xt for £1099
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-39a-sp.html

This does seem like a stupid amount of money to spend on a GPU.
Should I just continue to wait?
As I'm busy at work I don't think I will be able to take advantage of any drops as I can't react fast enough.

Anything that is a better buy than the above?

My gaming use is 1440p at 165hz.

Were v56 prices not silly I would definitely still be waiting but if I sell now I might double my money on the card.

Thanks for any advise.
 
Associate
Joined
23 May 2016
Posts
723
Location
Lurking over a keyboard
These charts are from TPU review of reference RX 6700XT. As an example if you get a RX 6700 XT for around £700, you clear £350+ from V56 sale. To get from an average of 68.3 fps to 122 fps its a gain of +78.6%, you'd be putting in about +100% if you cleared £350 and paid £700. So circa 22% premium.

Above is the way I'm getting my head around it, doing myself what you are doing. I have a V64 which I'm gonna sell. Dunno how long after I'll get a GPU, as I can at times not game for a while and have a much older spare GPU to get by on.

Launch prices I believe for reference cards were RX 6700 XT £419, RX 6800 £599, RX 6800 XT £680. Let's say pricing hadn't gone wild. Our GPUs would be worth less and we'd probably be putting in £200+ to upgrade. So could well be we'd be in the same boat then as now based on selling a GPU, adding to pot to get another.

I'm drawing the line at a RX 6800, due to a few things I've used to form my opinion. Only gonna go RX 6800 if I get what I hope for V64 and can get one around £900. Otherwise may just go a RX 6700 XT or hold out :) .
 
Soldato
Joined
18 Feb 2015
Posts
5,944
Wait for the Supers in January. You can get a 16GB 3070 Ti then. RDNA 2 is cool but if you play anything RTX you'll want Nvidia, but not the gimped with 8 GB ones (or even 10 GB sometimes).
 
Associate
OP
Joined
1 Dec 2015
Posts
1,176
At that money a 3080ti FE would be my choice. They often stick around for a while on Nvidia drops.

I think you are right.

I've signed up for the alerts and I'll see if I can pick one up.
I will need to get a bit lucky to be able to react to the alert as I'll be reliant on mobile reception.

The price difference between the Fe cards and those you can actually buy is huge and even if v56 prices drop again I'll still be as well or better off with a Fe card.... If I can buy one.
 
Associate
Joined
30 Dec 2013
Posts
1,813
Location
Liverpool
Nearly a grand for a 3070 Ti is a disgusting price and I would not spend that on an 8gb card leading into 2022... I would spend that on a 3080 Ti which lasts quite a while on the drops..
 
Associate
Joined
13 Oct 2021
Posts
11
Location
London
6800xt is a great card. Better than 3070ti overall for gaming. If your happy to wait for those fe cards Especially the 3080ti. Understandable if the price is deemed overpriced because it is for what they are now.
 
Associate
OP
Joined
1 Dec 2015
Posts
1,176
I'm going to try and buy an FE card from the drops as they are much better value than anything else.

If I cant get one I can cope with the vega56 for the time being, just a shame if I cant take advantage of the silly second hand prices v56 are fetching at the moment.
 
Soldato
Joined
3 May 2012
Posts
5,399
I'm going to try and buy an FE card from the drops as they are much better value than anything else.

If I cant get one I can cope with the vega56 for the time being, just a shame if I cant take advantage of the silly second hand prices v56 are fetching at the moment.

Good luck, admittedly this was back end of May/June time when things were really bad, but I signed up to all that stuff and could not get an FE card for love nor money, not even close either.

I got sorted out on an OCUK forum members deal, got really lucky really.

I do love the comments in these various threads about, just get an FE card, much better value.

Well...yes of course..... but there is quite a big IF on whether you can get hold of one.

Its just a grim situation that doesnt look like its going to get better any time soon, infact last 8 weeks or so things seem to be getting worse, there was another thread on here showing average prices and they are on the rise again.

Spending £1000 on a GPU is bloody rediculous really, but if you are worried that you buy it and in a few months time prices will crash, well I dont think that is going to happen.

Also the other thing about, just wait until whatever version being released, well again, thats a very big IF in whether you can get hold of one, GPU launches recently have been utter chaos. There are probably people still in some sort of queue (that doesnt really exist anyway) for heading towards a year now.

But obviously if you can wait, see if you can get an FE card, obviously great if you can, I just dont think its anywhere near as easy as some people make out.
 
Associate
OP
Joined
1 Dec 2015
Posts
1,176
I will be reliant on mobile as I'm not sitting at a desk all day. I think I will have to be lucky to get the notification and be able to react immediately.

But on the other hand my Vega 56 is ok for the moment and if it dies I can afford to buy a replacement.

I don't expect any new cards to be better value, prices are only going to increase.
 
Soldato
Joined
15 Oct 2019
Posts
8,666
Location
Uk
I'd try and get a 3070FE or 3070ti FE for £469 / £529 bank the change then look at doing a proper upgrade next year when the new RDNA3/4000 series cards arrive as anything over a 3080FE is very poor value for money right now.
 
Soldato
Joined
12 Jul 2005
Posts
3,800
I’m on a Vega 56 - it’s a brilliant card and does what I need at the moment.

I can’t stomach prices at the moment. It’s all a complete farce.
 
Soldato
Joined
19 Mar 2009
Posts
3,413
Location
Hereford
With prices for Vega 56 very high on eBay

I'm tempted to spend the £600 I have saved for a new GPU and add it to whatever my v56 sells for ( hopefully £350+)

It seems like ocuk have a few cards in stock now but I'm not really sure what to buy.

I'm tempted by this 3070ti for 989
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...dr6x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1dw-gi.html

Or this 6800xt for £1099
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-39a-sp.html

This does seem like a stupid amount of money to spend on a GPU.
Should I just continue to wait?
As I'm busy at work I don't think I will be able to take advantage of any drops as I can't react fast enough.

Anything that is a better buy than the above?

My gaming use is 1440p at 165hz.

Were v56 prices not silly I would definitely still be waiting but if I sell now I might double my money on the card.

Thanks for any advise.

Holy crap, I bought my vega 64 liquid here for £500 in Nov 2017, I see they are selling for £550ish on ebay now.

Be sensible idea to sell it for that now and buy a 6900?
 
Associate
OP
Joined
1 Dec 2015
Posts
1,176
Holy crap, I bought my vega 64 liquid here for £500 in Nov 2017, I see they are selling for £550ish on ebay now.

Be sensible idea to sell it for that now and buy a 6900?

The only "problem" is that the 6900 that are in stock are overpriced by just as much as your Vega 64 is, so we end up no better off.

If I had a viable spare card I would sell my v56 now while prices are high.
Unfortunately my spare card is a gtx460 as I gave my old 970 away before prices went crazy.
 
Soldato
Joined
19 Mar 2009
Posts
3,413
Location
Hereford
The only "problem" is that the 6900 that are in stock are overpriced by just as much as your Vega 64 is, so we end up no better off.

If I had a viable spare card I would sell my v56 now while prices are high.
Unfortunately my spare card is a gtx460 as I gave my old 970 away before prices went crazy.

I totally get what you mean, sort of same with the used car market at the moment, but the more I think about it, it would probably be mad not to capitalize now on the high price. 4 years use and to sell for a profit is insane. Otherwise knowing my luck when I do get round to doing something the vega will be worthless and new cards still be top money.
 
Top Bottom