Time for Takeaway licence plates?

Soldato
Funnily enough, today I was walking on the path only for a Just Eat cyclist to head towards me on the same path expecting me to move out their way. No, the road is right next to you, so you can use it.

Soldato
Ordered a takeaway a few months back from Uber Eats, it said the delivery driver was on a bicycle which given the distance concerned me that i'd be getting cold food. 15 minutes later I can see him powering his bicycle down the local bypass at a decent rate, probably 60-70 no doubt given how fast the icon was moving.

Just before he got to my house however he seemed to swap his bike for a knackered looking Pug 206 that a quick check suggests was uninsured & had no MOT as of about 18 months prior.

Associate
Funnily enough, today I was walking on the path only for a Just Eat cyclist to head towards me on the same path expecting me to move out their way. No, the road is right next to you, so you can use it.
Highways Act 1832, section 42.
I had an argument with a cyclist one morning on my way to work, who whooshed past me and I pointed him to the No cyclists sign above his head and the dedicated cycle lane on the road. I then went home and memorized that particular act!

Associate
Ordered a takeaway a few months back from Uber Eats, it said the delivery driver was on a bicycle which given the distance concerned me that i'd be getting cold food. 15 minutes later I can see him powering his bicycle down the local bypass at a decent rate, probably 60-70 no doubt given how fast the icon was moving.

Just before he got to my house however he seemed to swap his bike for a knackered looking Pug 206 that a quick check suggests was uninsured & had no MOT as of about 18 months prior.

I had an Uber eats driver who parked in the middle of our one way road ( houses on our road have no driveways and everyone parks on the road and there's hardly and free spaces ) , delivered food to me and then his car broke down. Everyone who had pulled into our road was stuck behind him. Eventually, he asked me for a set of pliers and he did something on his car and was finally able to move!

Places like Just eat and Uber eats are no longer attractive. There is a min. delivery fee , a service fee which is a % of your order , a 50p Just eat handling charge and then the bloody order has to be a minimum of £15! And, effiin Indian places have also stopped giving away free poppadom, free salad and free dips!

Last edited:
Soldato
Every McDonald's is half taken over by UE and JE drivers lounging around waiting for orders but most of the locals takeaways still use their own drivers like in the good old days.

Soldato
OP

And therein lies the problem.

These drivers buy/register bicycle delivery accounts because the rates are different, in favour of the driver & no need for UE do ask for vehicle documents to prove they're legal.
So in your case you have a person commiting

Fraud
Driving without insurance
Driving without a valid MOT

Wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't licenced either.

Personally I'd be on to local plod and getting the moron off the roads.

Associate
Most of the delivery mopeds in London also have the L plate at the back.
How does it work with a moped? Can you drive alone on a moped with a L plate? How long can you drive with a L plate?

Back
Top Bottom