Time Machine backups to QNAP NAS failing verification

Man of Honour
I had a 13" MacBook Pro which had zero issues backing up to my QNAP. It was running well for a couple of years. Work have given me a 15" MacBook Pro so I got rid of my old Mac and use the new one as a daily driver and work machine.

After the initial Time Machine backup finishes, it'll sometimes carry on for a few days. But ultimately I get an error message saying that verification has failed and I have to start a new backup.

Has anyone had similar? Any command line magic I can try on the sparse bundle that's created? Maybe a permission issue on the QNAP? It's using the same account.

Not sure if it helps, but here are the specs of both machines.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
macOS Catalina 10.15.2
2.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
1TB SSD

The QNAP is as follows:
Firmware: 4.4.1.1146
i7-4790S Quad Core CPU
16GB RAM
4x10TB Seagate Iron Wolf HDDs
2x Crucial 500GB SSDs
The storage is QTier

The verification fails on both wired and wireless. I'll try and grab the logs the next time it fails.

FWIW I have zero issues elsewhere with the NAS, it runs two VMs, several containers, Plex Server etc and all work without a hitch. My Windows 10 PC also backs up to it using Macrium Reflect, again without any issues.

Man of Honour
OP
I *think* I have managed to fix this. I noticed that when connecting to an afp share on the QNAP via Finder I would get an error yet smb would work fine. So I disabled all afp on the QNAP and also changed some settings on the mac in sharing > file sharing preferences. Whether the QNAP side, the Mac side or both had a hand in this I can't be sure, but after a few days it seems to be backing up fine again.

Back
Top Bottom