Time to ditch the diesel?

Soldato
Hey all, not been around these parts in many years now.

For the last 3 years or so I've been running a Mazda 3 2.2D (well, have had 2 of them, a Gen2 and now a Gen3) and they have been brilliant cars. Not had a single issue with them, great to drive, loads of spec and my current one has had 32k miles put on it in just over a year so the diesel was the right choice.

However, my commute was previously about 30 mins down a dual carriageway but I recently moved and its now only about 10 minutes. Not had any DPF issues but I know its been in the middle of a regen when I've arrived at work sometimes. It does get longer runs occasionally but not with predictable regularity. I'm hoping to be offered a new job soon though which will mean my commute is about 2 minutes down a 50mph road then 10 mins through town. My thinking at the moment is - if I dont get the job to consider swapping it for a petrol if I get any DPF issues. But if I do get the job I should probably just change it straight away. Does that seem sane?

With that in mind - what should I be looking at? A saloon would be a good thing as I'm getting fed up of folding down seats to get 2 suitcases in. We dont need back seats often though so dont need a large car. I want something well equipped, nice to drive and with a decent amount of power without costing the world to run - for about 10-12k. 3 series would be ideal but I have some sort of allergy to their seats - any time I drive one for more than 30 mins I end up with catastrophic back ache. I'd love a C class but for the criteria its a C350 which would be lovely but its in the £555 VED band which would sting (5% of the cars value every year!). Oil consumption issues aside, would the A4 2.0 TFSI be a bad idea?

Or should I just get a Mazda6 2.0 and live with relatively lethargic performance?

Soldato
OP
Aye, looked at the VRS - I had a 2006 one before but it wasnt really for me, comfort and noise levels weren't great (tis a hot hatch so not unexpected) and low equipment levels. Not driven the newer ones but it is tricky to find them with more than the standard kit. Stuff like heated seats - something I wouldnt want to live without - you rarely see them with.

Associate
Hey all, not been around these parts in many years now.

For the last 3 years or so I've been running a Mazda 3 2.2D (well, have had 2 of them, a Gen2 and now a Gen3) and they have been brilliant cars. Not had a single issue with them, great to drive, loads of spec and my current one has had 32k miles put on it in just over a year so the diesel was the right choice.

However, my commute was previously about 30 mins down a dual carriageway but I recently moved and its now only about 10 minutes. Not had any DPF issues but I know its been in the middle of a regen when I've arrived at work sometimes. It does get longer runs occasionally but not with predictable regularity. I'm hoping to be offered a new job soon though which will mean my commute is about 2 minutes down a 50mph road then 10 mins through town. My thinking at the moment is - if I dont get the job to consider swapping it for a petrol if I get any DPF issues. But if I do get the job I should probably just change it straight away. Does that seem sane?

With that in mind - what should I be looking at? A saloon would be a good thing as I'm getting fed up of folding down seats to get 2 suitcases in. We dont need back seats often though so dont need a large car. I want something well equipped, nice to drive and with a decent amount of power without costing the world to run - for about 10-12k. 3 series would be ideal but I have some sort of allergy to their seats - any time I drive one for more than 30 mins I end up with catastrophic back ache. I'd love a C class but for the criteria its a C350 which would be lovely but its in the £555 VED band which would sting (5% of the cars value every year!). Oil consumption issues aside, would the A4 2.0 TFSI be a bad idea?

Or should I just get a Mazda6 2.0 and live with relatively lethargic performance?

Think that will be running the Ford/Powertrain 2.2 used by many inc PSA engine has many issues inc not great on fuel and has you found Regen!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Aye, looked at the VRS - I had a 2006 one before but it wasnt really for me, comfort and noise levels weren't great (tis a hot hatch so not unexpected) and low equipment levels. Not driven the newer ones but it is tricky to find them with more than the standard kit. Stuff like heated seats - something I wouldnt want to live without - you rarely see them with.

If you go with the Audi/BMW/Merc route you will end up with a much older car with the associated costs of running an older more expensive car. I wouldn't recommend it.

Soldato
OP
Considered electric?

Thought about it, not against it. I could spend a bit more on the car as the fuel savings should be fairly significant. It would need to be a plugin hybrid rather than electric though as we do use it for holidays and other journeys longer than the range of a pure electric vehicle

Soldato
OP
If you go with the Audi/BMW/Merc route you will end up with a much older car with the associated costs of running an older more expensive car. I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm not against that if it gets something nicer for it - I'm quite happy to do a lot of maintenance myself. Provided its not "leave you stranded at the side of the road" unreliable, I dont mind spending a bit more on running costs than I have been. Comparing the Audi and Skoda as an example, it looks to be about 2-3 years older for the same price. Which isnt drastic - and if it buys better comfort, quality, noise levels and equipment then it might be a worthwhile tradeoff

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm not against that if it gets something nicer for it - I'm quite happy to do a lot of maintenance myself. Provided its not "leave you stranded at the side of the road" unreliable, I dont mind spending a bit more on running costs than I have been. Comparing the Audi and Skoda as an example, it looks to be about 2-3 years older for the same price. Which isnt drastic - and if it buys better comfort, quality, noise levels and equipment then it might be a worthwhile tradeoff

They are complex cars and so many things that can go wrong. A 2011 Audi A4 is 8 years old today and will only be getting older during your ownership. I thought the reason you are changing car is you are worried about DPF? I'd argue the cost of changing to an 8 year old car won't mitigate the need to spend money on things that break, also the cost to change.

If a turbo goes, that's not cheap.

Soldato
OP
I guess my thinking is (I might be wrong, hence asking for confirmation) that a DPF is a £1500 time bomb on a car thats being used like it will be. A well maintained older car is a gamble, but to my knowledge there's no "almost guaranteed" failures like that. Its not even a matter of being able to afford the repairs, I'd just resent it if it happened especially if it was something I could have avoided

Maybe my understanding of the risks of the DPF are wrong - quite happy for that to be the case

Or I could look at something like this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901103804543

Same age as my Mazda, 1/6th of the miles, with the larger boot and more premium feel that I'd like

Soldato
OP
Volvos are pretty good.

I'd never go old and German tbh. It's just asking for trouble.

Yeah always quite liked them, had a thing for Saabs for many years and they scratch the same itch. Sadly, at this sort of age its the same problem with a lot of these cars, almost no petrols around!

Soldato
Yep which is why they are holding their value a lot better.

The T5 is a good engine too. You could get at least 270hp from it with a remap.

Soldato
OP
Yep which is why they are holding their value a lot better.

The T5 is a good engine too. You could get at least 270hp from it with a remap.

There's literally one for sale in that price bracket though, the only others are 30k+ nearly new ones.

Do you know much about the T4? Only a 1.6 but just under 200bhp seems OK

Soldato
There's literally one for sale in that price bracket though, the only others are 30k+ nearly new ones.

Do you know much about the T4? Only a 1.6 but just under 200bhp seems OK

Nope, but also looking at it, it isn't the "T5" engine I was thinking of which is a 5 cylinder. Looks like they replaced it with a 2.0 4cyl :(

Soldato
OP
So, I've discovered that the C350 "Blue efficiency" is much more reasonable to tax (£200), better on fuel than the prefacelift (owners seem to report 30-40mpg on a long run) and more powerful

I'm aware the ongoing running costs and it may be a false economy trying to justify it financially based on the risk of a DPF. Like I explained though, I'd just resent having to replace something so expensive that would be preventable. Plus its an excuse to get something I can really enjoy as my mileage has dropped so much.

With that in mind, what do I need to know about these

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905097778913

Overall reliability seems to be high and common issues relatively minor. Parts prices are a bit higher than my Mazda (like those drilled discs) but not enough to worry me. Servicing costs at Mercedes are insane (£703 for a B service which is next) but for £60 of oil/filter and a £10 pollen filter, I'm sure an independent can do it for less

What are these like to own otherwise? Seems to tick every box for me - comfortable, refined, well equipped and built and a decent turn of pace

Soldato
Start/stop has kinda screwed mpg stats. If you like to use the power (why would you not on a 300hp v6) expect mid 20s mpg.

You probably won't have reliability issues with them, but they aren't at Volvo levels of durability.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
For my commute, I wouldn't have the opportunity to use the power really. I'll only be commuting about 3k miles a year so mpg really not a concern there

With other usage, its nice to be able to stick cruise control on the motorway and do long distances with decent fuel economy, or be able to enjoy some good roads when I find them

Back
Top Bottom