Time to ditch the diesel?

Associate
I guess my thinking is (I might be wrong, hence asking for confirmation) that a DPF is a £1500 time bomb on a car thats being used like it will be. A well maintained older car is a gamble, but to my knowledge there's no "almost guaranteed" failures like that. Its not even a matter of being able to afford the repairs, I'd just resent it if it happened especially if it was something I could have avoided

Maybe my understanding of the risks of the DPF are wrong - quite happy for that to be the case

Or I could look at something like this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901103804543

Same age as my Mazda, 1/6th of the miles, with the larger boot and more premium feel that I'd like

If your worried about the DPF clogging just make sure you take it for a 20min spin down your nearest motorway/dual carriageway to keep things in check every few weeks?

Soldato
I don't think you need be in any hurry to change. As already pointed out: a spin out every so often to give the DPF a purge is no big deal. With a reduced commute you will also bring down your average mileage which should help at trade-in time. If you need something bigger because of the luggage issue a CX-5 is a good shout (my missus drives one) and you should get the same seats and level of spec that you are comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom