1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timeline of political correctness?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by jsmoke, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsmoke

Soldato

I used to think TB and his wife were big players in the PC movement. They probably had a fair involvement in it but after watching a recent interview even he thinks it's got quite out of control. I agree with some of it but it could ultimately lead to communist style control, maybe that not a bad thing?

So where did it all originate, I assume partly from the feminist movement of the 70's/80's and 90's and the hatred of the so called conservative posh boy elites many of who seemed to be either born or destined intonl money, privilege and power, personally I quite liked those types even though I never really came across any.

It doesn't really interfere with me now I'm living back in smaller towns but I was just interested in it's origins.

I see some guy at a boxing match was forceably removed for wearing a union jack waistcoat etc, I assume this is part of the PC thinking, maybe other things happened at the match but it seems not.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...fight-night-wearing-Union-Jack-waistcoat.html

2. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Well I think the womens suffragettes of the early 1900's might have a say about that. Then include christian values and well you are talking over 2000 years. Its not so much when did PC start its more when did we become so condescending and offensive.

3. Nasher

Capodecina

The P.Cness we have today probably started in the late 90s.

But being offended at everything has only recently become fashion. Also teaching kids to be thin skinned.

4. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Someone on security at that event told the real story. The guy in the waistcoat had previously been warned for aggressive behaviour, and he was actually thrown out for taking a crap on the floor.

5. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Patriotism. Brings a tear to the eye.

Good on you, son. Good on you.

6. Mr Badger

Soldato

This. Is. Brexit.

Also, starting an SC thread with a Daily Mail link...

7. StarShock

Wise Guy

when was exodus? like 4000 years ago? pretty sure that's when that SJW Moses set out his PC gone mad rules about respecting people

8. nox_uk

Hitman

i'd concur with this, and this is also around the time when the internet boom started. I think the two are linked, at least a bit. All of a sudden we have people communicating non-verbally and missing the intended meaning of a lot of comments (due to lack of phonetic inflection) that could be taken two ways. It then kinda steam rolled down the route we have today where some people can't make a joke publicly without risk of being sued :(

9. Sleepery

Sgarrista

This is your fundamental problem Jsmoke: you assume. It fits your world-view, so you assume it to be true. Half this damn forum is you assuming stuff and everyone else vainly trying to sway you.

10. Gigabit

Mobster

So he was kicked out for being a **** basically.

The irony of this is the right-wingers who accuse lefties of being "**********" (that snowy word - why is this blanked out?) seem to get outraged at everything.

I see no actual increase in political correctness, just the media's obsession with reducing the advances of people. There's a lot of comparison between people today fighting for rights and those fighting 100 years ago.

11. chroniclard

Capodecina

When I was a lad everyone was allowed to be offensive and racist and nobody batted an eye lid. The good old days.

12. billysielu

Capodecina

Feminism started with white goods and the vote. The point is to get women into work. They've got twice as many people working for the same cost as one person. One salary used to be enough for a family, now you need two salaries. With both parents working there's also childcare costs. So they're both working but the family is financially worse off, doesn't get proper meals, kids aren't raised properly.

The stuff about lgbt further serves to blur the traditional male and female family roles.

Race is harder because there was legit racism but now it's gotten blurry I think people are crying wolf.

13. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

1990s when the liberal left decided that they’d won the cultural war that started in the 1960s.

Teflon Tony and Slot Gob have a lot to answer for.

14. mid_gen

Sgarrista

The tit in the OP was told to remove his union jack waistcoat because no flags of any kind are allowed in the crowd.

It's enforced for safety reasons to prevent boozed up pillocks in the crowd finding excuses to fight. Nothing to do with political correctness.

So, once again jsmoke, you're talking utter ********.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.