Tinnitus who suffers from it

Soldato
It's in the mind trust me. As someone with schizophrenia, I sometimes get it. It seems real but it isnt. I would also advise stopping smoking or taking drugs or drinking too much.
Trust you because?

I live a really normal happy life. I don't smoke or take drugs and drink about 3-4 times a year. I'm relatively fit and in the gym 4 nights a week and have a pretty good diet.
It's not in my mind...it's right in my bloody ear :D

Soldato
I had labyrinthitis 18months a go. My very mild and rarely irritating tinnitus was insane for months. Had to have headphones on most of the time and white noise at night to cope.

It's now much better thankfully. But still not back to how it was. Every few months I'd say it's a bit better...but improvements over time are less and less.

Associate
Trust you because?

I live a really normal happy life. I don't smoke or take drugs and drink about 3-4 times a year. I'm relatively fit and in the gym 4 nights a week and have a pretty good diet.
It's not in my mind...it's right in my bloody ear :D

Just saying that hallucinations (which some tinnitus is) can seem very real indeed. you wouldn't be able to tell.

getting enough sleep?

Associate
Yeah I have it, came on around June last year. Tried to get an ENT referral after multiple doctor visits, ended up getting a hearing test in January which found no issues. As they found nothing wrong they referred me to an ENT who subsequently sent me a letter telling me to jog on but rebooked me a hearing test for January 2021...like thanks mate that's exactly what I need if my hearing is absolutely fine yet I still have Tinnitus :confused: I was going to kick off but it was in March and the virus was really ramping up so I left it.

Tbh I've learned to live with it now, really hated it for the first 6 months or so, felt pretty down and wishing it would go away but since I've learned that it's probably going to stay with me I've accepted it and Im much happier for it. Although I'm definately going to pick it back up with the doctors soon and push for an ENT referral as I'm sure it's sinus related. I have dodgy sinuses anyway and a few months ago I was using Avamys steroid nasal spray for a week which made the noise 10x louder, it was unbearable and it started to get me down thinking I'd made it permanently worse. Stopped using it and it went back to normal levels pretty quickly, so I'm definitely going to see what an ENT says. Probably ultimately pointless but it doesn't hurt to try.

Last edited:
Soldato
i get it if i drink too much alcohol and-or i'm not hydrated enough. i get it more with rubbish electronics that have psu's that arn't shielded, like certain very cheap routers that if you put your ear to them have a faint high pitched "fizzing" noise. i also suffer occaisionly from exploding head syndrome which is very much in the mind. which is probably my fault for trying things in the eighties that i should'nt have.

i'm fine right now :)

Soldato
Had my ENT referral through, of the choice of 4 hospitals................... none had appointments, please pick your appointment :(

Associate
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, tinnitus is great, right? My 4th anniversary with it today and it's been a bad week.

Does everyone else have week/month long spikes that then eventually seem to go back down slightly? Most of the time I can ignore it, but when these spikes happen it's relentless, happened from Jan-Apr this year, then settled but now it's louder again :(. Can't work out what causes the spikes, doesn't seem to relate to stress/psych, can just come on randomly even at really positive periods in life. Only thing that seems to make it consistently worse is magnesium supplements for me, which is odd, because a lot of people report the opposite. Pretty sure sleeping with white noise makes it worse for me too, both times I tried a LectroFan for a week it was much worse.

Anyone ever found anything that seemed to help with theirs?

Associate
I had labyrinthitis 18months a go. My very mild and rarely irritating tinnitus was insane for months. Had to have headphones on most of the time and white noise at night to cope.

It's now much better thankfully. But still not back to how it was. Every few months I'd say it's a bit better...but improvements over time are less and less.

woke up with this on monday, room was spinning like id sank 30 pints. Luckily no real sign of tinnitus.

i never want to have it again

Soldato
woke up with this on monday, room was spinning like id sank 30 pints. Luckily no real sign of tinnitus.

i never want to have it again
Horrid. I woke up on a Sunday. Had an early night the night before too. Went down stairs to make a cup of tea for us, got back in bed and the room then just started spinning violently. Had it for 3 days solid with vommiting etc.

Had an ambulance come out, which in hindsight was a waste of resource, but at the time I genuinely thought this could be death. A grown man with wife and child around me, I phoned my mum and dad and my mum raced down (collecting a speeding ticket on the way). It really was an experience you never want to go through again.

Tinnitus came a week later. Apparently doesn't come for everyone and 90% of people fully recover from it.

I'm getting there, but not quite. It doesn't thankfully impact my life any more like it did do.

Soldato
I find if I listen to white noise, it does drown out my tinnitus, but as soon as you turn off the white noise, you can hear the tinnitus much louder for what seems like ages before it returns to “normal” background noise. I try to avoid using white noise / fans etc as it seems to amplify the sound when they’re turned off.

Associate
Horrid. I woke up on a Sunday. Had an early night the night before too. Went down stairs to make a cup of tea for us, got back in bed and the room then just started spinning violently. Had it for 3 days solid with vommiting etc.

Had an ambulance come out, which in hindsight was a waste of resource, but at the time I genuinely thought this could be death. A grown man with wife and child around me, I phoned my mum and dad and my mum raced down (collecting a speeding ticket on the way). It really was an experience you never want to go through again.

Tinnitus came a week later. Apparently doesn't come for everyone and 90% of people fully recover from it.

I'm getting there, but not quite. It doesn't thankfully impact my life any more like it did do.

Jesus man that sounds rough! luckily i only had 1 rough trip to the loo and then after that i lied down and it levelled relatively quickly. ive had issues with my left ear for years, none of which the ENT seem to be able to sort. I assume its down to that and potentially the side effects of a bit of a cold i had the week before.

i suspect death will be a walk in the park compared to it.

Soldato
Got my private MRI mid week, I'm hoping they find something so I can have it cut out. Guess they'll find nothing and I'll have to live with this until I end up a basket case with a mangled ear I've try to cut off :(

Associate
I’ve taught myself to think of my tinnitus as a “fan” because mine is monotone, medium pitch, it’s easy to drift off to. Thankfully it’s not pops or intermittent hisses, yet. I couldn’t cope with that. But yeah, I can see how it can limit getaways such as camping !

for example my tinnitus is exactly the same as Sound 9 / Voilet Wave, on this video..

I have the sound 1 no where not as loud though , feel sorry for the poor sods who have all the other sounding ones though , they sound awefull.

It did disapear a couple of years ago after a few years of mild ringing/buzzing , but suddenly came back last year with a vengeance which i think was a side effect of thyroid medication i was taking.

will go and see the doc when things have calmed down.

Soldato
Got my private MRI mid week, I'm hoping they find something so I can have it cut out. Guess they'll find nothing and I'll have to live with this until I end up a basket case with a mangled ear I've try to cut off :(

Good luck with that, for me they found nothing on the MRI, or any of the other tests. I just learn to live with it. I was offered a type of counselling, and some medication to use if sleep was very bad.

I have the sound 1 no where not as loud though , feel sorry for the poor sods who have all the other sounding ones though , they sound awefull.

It did disapear a couple of years ago after a few years of mild ringing/buzzing , but suddenly came back last year with a vengeance which i think was a side effect of thyroid medication i was taking.

will go and see the doc when things have calmed down.

For me it is Number 4, for some reason, hope that it isn't because this thread and so my awareness has been raised, but the last day or so it has been an issue on my left when that side is usually clear. Of course my right side issues are still there, it is not as tho both sides are in harmony, they are at a different pitch.
Right ear can alternate between number 1 and 4.

For those who have it pretty constant do you ever get a small window when you have zero noise..? It is very rare for me when that happens but when it does and I zero in on it I'm amazed at what silence can be like. It is wonderful having just background sound, sadly doesn't last tho.

Soldato

Yeah, not happening. At most, they'll probably find a blood vessel loop which can explain pulsing tinnitus in some people. I have one in my ear with tinnitus, except mine isn't the pulsing kind.

If anything, I could probably live with that one far more comfortably since it tends to be a much lower pitched sound.

Back
Top Bottom