Tired of giffgaff basically never having 3G in Plymouth... trying a 3 SIM

Soldato
No matter the phone, on a giffgaff sim, I basically never seem to see a 3G signal. I have tried an O2 SIM card in my phone and instantly got a 3G signal... curious... makes me wonder what they are upto?

Just ordered a free three sim to try out the signal, and then might end up going for the 1 month contract sim only "Essential Internet 200" for ~£13 or "The one Plan" for ~£15.

Anyone else have naff 3G with GG ? (Especially in Plymouth)

Soldato
Strange, you should get the same signal strength with giffgaff since they use the O2 network. Have you tried another giffgaff SIM just to check it might be a faulty SIM? Although to be honest, the One Plan from 3 is pretty good, especially with 4G coming out with no extra costs.

Soldato
OP
I'm in Chaddlewood (top end) and work in the International Business Park between Derriford and Crownhill.

Phone sat at window, I have full bars of H (HSDPA?) I have only seen 3G flash up once on the phone, but without a reception for it, it was the same with my other phones.

First test: (chaddlewood)

Download: 1290kbps
Upload: 2049kbps
Ping: 118ms

2nd test about the same. Upload is twice the speed of download (weird).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
3 is much better value for money, I've just switched from giffgaff to 3.

£15 per month for The One plan and you get £62 quidco/topcashback!

That's 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and truly unlimited data (giffgaff has a cap) and tethering for £118 for the year.

Soldato
I only get poor signal in mannamead (due to thick stone walled houses) and pike road (because it's a pit and people probably steal the copper cable from the phone mast)

Always had great signal around derriford though.

Tried another GG sim?

Soldato
OP
I actually have some other GG sims here.. so one sec. (Not activated though).

BTW... do I need two GPRS APN settings, (one for browser, and one for MMS) or should the MMS setting be contained in the default APN setting? (If I accept both emails it makes two APN's).

Hmm... the circuit board on these newer SIM's actually looks different.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ah.. now don't I feel silly. To Quote my giffgaff answer:

H or H+ is the strongest signal currently available

Whenever your smartphone internet is on, it's likely to display a
letter or mini phrase next to your signal strength to let you know
the quality of the network you're connected to. This will be either
GPRS, 2G or EDGE (often just an 'E') for a 2G network,
or 3G or HSPA (often just a 'H') for a 3G network.
In simple terms of quality, H & H+ is best.

Soldato
OP
so youve had the best connection all this time and you thought it was a bad one?

well im sure thats brightened your mood :)

LOL, strangely... I still feel disappointed I don't get the 3G symbol LMAO. But yes... at least I know it's getting what it should be getting :)

Just done some speed test and download is so variable 1.2 to 3, and upload 0.8 to 2, the upload even freezes.

Will see how a Three SIM fairs however, just in case.

Soldato
OP
from what i understand: 3g -> hspda -> hspa+

Perhaps you should go to EE and get 4g then :p :p :p

:p Go away you! (Plymouth doesn't have 4G yet anyway :rolleyes:)

Phone doesn't do 4G, and no point investing in one that does until I FINALLY (ARGHH red tape!!) move to the states.

Anyway... I think I won the dumbass award for tonight as it is :D

Man of Honour
Always had identical signal between my phone on O2 and tablet on giffgaff. GG seems to hardcap at 3.6mbit/s tho for some reason in a lot of areas where I get faster than that on O2.

Soldato
OP
Tried a test outside near Derriford, and got 5 (5000kbps) :), upload was only 1.2 though. Went inside the office and although we have lots of windows it is intermittent. Tested soon as I got in, and could only get G and 42kbps lol. Pathetic. Tested again when H came on and 1600kbps, but kept dropping massively. Upload was terrible.

Least I know I'm getting the right performance now :) (Just my office sucks).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom