"Titan Apollo" 15.4" Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad 2.00GHz+ Gaming Laptop Pre Order

Associate
From the sounds of it, this looks like a great chassis to upgrade with. I too will look into installing GTX 280m, SSD, 8gig ram etc. :D

Btw becks137, you're right. OcUK have jacked it up another £100. Glad I ordered when I did now.

Btw, Lister what's the link to this custom modding you're talking of. I guessing somewhere on Notebook Review?

Last edited:
Associate
Hmmm, OCUK, why the £100 price increase? I was thinking about buying it here even tho its cheaper is the states. Guess you just lost another customer. ill wait until i go state side now.

Orginal forum post: From £997.00 inc VAT
Price listed on page now: £1093.99 inc VAT
Increase: £96.99, expensive keyboard!

Eboy for you Clickies

Last edited:
Associate
Yea, got mine today aswell. Very happy with it so far!

And cheers for the link Lister. That was the one I thought of and actually found it today.

Man of Honour
Has anyone tried the webcam on theirs yet? just gave mine a quick test on windows 7 (doesn't have proper driver support) and quality is terrible very dark, pixellated and low color depth... not too bothered as its not something I really use but wondering if they are all like that or a problem with windows 7 or the hardware.

Associate
I'm using Windows 7 aswell and yea the quality of the cam ain't great. Also dark and pixelated. I installed the proper drivers aswell.

Associate
Well, you're right. They are not windows 7 drivers just the ones that come with the CD which are Vista. But I can install them on Windows 7.

Isn't Windows 7 essentially Vista but just a lot more polished and smooth? Basically what Vista should have been.

Associate
So Eboy and Rich, you guys happy with you're purchase?
Im just specing mine, now, ready for pick up when i get to the states.
I read that the 260M would perform better on a higher 2 core CPU (3Ghz) rather than lower 4 core CPU (2Ghz).
Any 1 know if this is correct? Im going to be installing a 280M after a while myself.
On last thing anyone have any ideas if the new intel i7 will be going to a mobile platform any time soon? Might be better to hold on a lil bit? These spec laptops have been available for almost a year now see...

Izi

Izi

Soldato
I read that the 260M would perform better on a higher 2 core CPU (3Ghz) rather than lower 4 core CPU (2Ghz).
Any 1 know if this is correct? Im going to be installing a 280M after a while myself.
On last thing anyone have any ideas if the new intel i7 will be going to a mobile platform any time soon? Might be better to hold on a lil bit? These spec laptops have been available for almost a year now see...

Most games don't use multicores, so getting the quad core could hinder your FPS by only using 2.0ghz instead of 3ghz.

Associate
Guess that makes sense.
Im looking for the most powerful 15" laptop out there. it has to be 15" as im always on the road. Clevo M860ETU seems to be the best option by far, but its a shame they put the best components on the 17,18". These Laptops are far from portable that that size and weight. :confused:

Soldato
Problem becomes heat and cooling; in the majority of cases the high end parts get damned hot; and by putting them in a low sized case you risk a lot of heat and long term lifespan issues, if you open a lot of the 17" gaming laptops, there are usually some sizeable heatsink arrays installed for various components; in my M17 its one for NB/Processor and 1 for the GPUs, however I know for sure that it'd be a lot closer to decent temps with one for each; especially with the GPUs as they're hitting the best part of 100 degress under load before they decided to die, and thus you hit space limitations. The only way I could really think of getting around this in a 15" would be to make it deeper, and use some quite hefty cooling vents in the chassis and larger heatsinks (virtually half the machine becoming the heatsink), which again increases the weight and size.

Last edited:
Associate

I looked into this a lot before I bought mine. It's not very good advice at this point.

Most games now DO use multicores. Some even choke without a quad core already, like Supreme Commander. This is only going to get worse from now on. Also, most FPS reliant games now hit their performance bottleneck on the GPU not the CPU. Paired with a powerful GPU the only games that will hit a CPU bottleneck first are CPU intensive ones like RTS - and these all take advantage of quad core now, where a slower quad will absolutely blow past a faster dual. When dealing with quad core applications, it is vastly preferable to have a quad than a dual. When dealing with dual core or single core applications, a quad is still perfectly acceptable. Look at the speeds involved - they are not that great. 2ghz quad to 2.6 dual. A combined dual core speed of 4 to 5.2 ghz. In a quad core environment, 8ghz to 5.2.

Really the only solid reason to prefer a dual core now is reduced power and heat. Quads do suck down the juice, so if battery life is important this is a consideration.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
With this laptop I deffinatly reccomend a faster dual core unless you can afford a high end quad tho... in a lot of cases 2gig quad v 2.8gig dual your gonna be losing a lot of framerate potentially around 40% depending on how CPU limited and threadable things are - very few games make enough use of the extra threads to make up for the lack of performance on the main threads.

Personally I'm glad in the long run I ended up with a 2.8gig dual on my laptop rather than the 2gig Q9000 I was aiming for.

This would change if we were talking about 3gig quad v 3+gig dual core - but the 260m GTX is quite badly CPU limited once you drop below 3gig in a lot of stuff.

Associate
This thread and the threads it refers to are of interest:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=357743

Also benchmarks suggest that there is too little performance gain to warrant the considerable extra expense on a faster quad than the q9000. If quad is the way you want to go, don't sweat waiting for faster ones than the q9000 to become cheaper.

Personally if I had the luxury of waiting I would hold off buying an expensive laptop like this until mobile i7's are available and down in price a little, because the performance on those - all quad core obviously - are far ahead what's currently available in every respect. I didn't have the choice, as I had no computer at all.

Associate
Well i guess im could wait until Dec/Jan, going to be in the states until Feb. This spec laptop has been available for quite some time now, a few chassis is prod due sometime soon... i hope. Tho, the i7s are already available on the 17"+.

Ive Seen some nicely spec'ed 17/18", with i7s, and 280M SLI combos! :eek:

Associate
Well i guess im could wait until Dec/Jan, going to be in the states until Feb. This spec laptop has been available for quite some time now, a few chassis is prod due sometime soon... i hope. Tho, the i7s are already available on the 17"+.

Yeah, a new version is due soon. It is called the W860CU, looks very cool. It should be 'launched' before the end of the year (though might take a few months to actually get out on the market), and with any luck, OCUK will have it by 2011... :D

Associate
54850388.jpg

+ fullsize keyboard
+ mobile i7
+ no silly glass screen
+ MXM 3.0
+ conservative and attractive design
+ LED screen
+ Dedicated CPU and GPU cooling!!!

- all of the audio outputs and 2 usb sockets are on the right side... diminishes the comfort of a mouse
- vertically shallow screen because of 16:9

Well, looks like im waiting for a few months longer!
The dedicated GPU cooling is a biggie, means its a lot easier and safer to upgrade the 260M to a 280M... wh00!

Back
Top Bottom