"Titan Apollo" 15.4" Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad 2.00GHz+ Gaming Laptop Pre Order

Man of Honour
OcUK would prolly fit a custom SSD for you if you phoned - but I'd imagine a decent size one would not be cheap or cost effective...

I'm loving mine so far and would deffinatly reccomend it...

Man of Honour
Yeah unfortunatly OcUK don't have the most cost effective CPU options for this laptop :( and 2.5gig is the very bare minimum IMO to make good use of the GPU.

I've seen varied reports on the seagate momentus heat wise - but if it ran cool that and the P8700 wouldn't be a bad config.

EDIT: Ouch just looked at how much the T9600 is seperate at OcUK £459.99...

Last edited:
Associate
You are better off buying a base config and adding the rest yourself. I did this on an older 860 with 9800gt.

The worst thing on this laptop is the screen in my opinion

Man of Honour
You are better off buying a base config and adding the rest yourself. I did this on an older 860 with 9800gt.

The worst thing on this laptop is the screen in my opinion

Whats wrong with the screen? aside from the contrast ratio not being amazing - but thats about par for a laptop display anyhow - I can't really fault mine, sharp and clear, with just the right amount of glossiness. I believe it might be glass tho which could add to weight and make it more fragile than is ideal on a laptop maybe.

Soldato
IIRC the CPU on mine idles at 26-28C and tops out at 35-36C priming.

Surprised at this, the one i had 'briefly' got to 70C running 3dmark06. Would like it if you did a simular benchmark and let me know.

Yeah, not 100% what I want right now.

The Dell XPS16 seems my best bet right now.

I was thinking about getting one of them but the graphics card put me off. For the same price you can get the Titan. I have heard that its a better build than the Typhoon...

Although ive been having trouble with my version of the Titan (The same Clevo chassie but not OcUK built).

Man of Honour
Surprised at this, the one i had 'briefly' got to 70C running 3dmark06. Would like it if you did a simular benchmark and let me know.

I'll give it a go and see - that wouldn't be so suprising as the GPU and CPU share a common heatsink/fan at the back with heatpipes between them so the cooling for the CPU wouldn't be so effective when there was heat from the GPU in the mix too.

Man of Honour
Hit 48C tops on 3D Marks 06 - which ties in with 35-36C on CPU stress testing as you've got the added heat from the GPU to contend with. Think you had a shoddily applied heatsink/paste.

Soldato
Hit 48C tops on 3D Marks 06 - which ties in with 35-36C on CPU stress testing as you've got the added heat from the GPU to contend with. Think you had a shoddily applied heatsink/paste.

Oh, beleve me that wasnt the only shoddy thing about it.

Im trying to jack the chassie i bought and go for the Typhoon equilivant chassie. Hopefully the company can redem themselves and step up to the mark with a discount equilivant to the money ill lose with the finance fees.

Soldato

The more i think about this the more its bugging me. My laptop cpu was 20C higher than yours, thats a massive amount, what is your processor? Mine was a 2.8 c2d (the T9600 version). Your laptop was the Titan?

Obviously OcUK built your laptop?

Associate
Whats wrong with the screen? aside from the contrast ratio not being amazing - but thats about par for a laptop display anyhow - I can't really fault mine, sharp and clear, with just the right amount of glossiness. I believe it might be glass tho which could add to weight and make it more fragile than is ideal on a laptop maybe.

I may have just been unlucky but the contrast was poor and it had some strange sparkle effect. Dont get me wrong, its not the worst laptop screen I have used, but it is subpar to any decent dell screen I have used (the sps 16 screen i have now is gorgeous and I didnt even opt for the RGB version)

Man of Honour
The more i think about this the more its bugging me. My laptop cpu was 20C higher than yours, thats a massive amount, what is your processor? Mine was a 2.8 c2d (the T9600 version). Your laptop was the Titan?

2.8gig either T9600 or P9600 I'll have to double check which... clevo M860TU chassis.

I may have just been unlucky but the contrast was poor and it had some strange sparkle effect. Dont get me wrong, its not the worst laptop screen I have used, but it is subpar to any decent dell screen I have used (the sps 16 screen i have now is gorgeous and I didnt even opt for the RGB version)

Contrast ratio is a bit naff but no worse than any other laptop I've used and better than most, tho probably not as good as the dells which generally have fairly nice displays... not seen any strange sparkle effect with mine.

The color contrast does get to me a little tho as I'm using a couple of pretty decent (for a TN) panels on my desktop which have proper 8bit per channel color not the typical 6-5-6 or 6-6-6 of TN panels and generous brightness and contrast ratios.

Don
Guys, these are the two laptops I'm interested in buying, can you compare the two and tell me which I'm better off getting? Thanks

"Titan Energizer" 17.0" Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad 2.00GHz+ Gaming Laptop
17.0" screen, resolution of 1920x1200.
GeForce GTX 260M 1024MB
4GB DDR3 1066MHz Dual Channel RAM
Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200 2.0GHZ
Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320gb
DVD+RW
£1166

Dell Studio XPS 16
16" screen, 1080p
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600(2.40Ghz, 1066MHz, 3MB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 (64 BIT) - English
Black Leather back cover : 16" (inch) Truelife 1080p Full HD RGBLED Edge to Edge Display
1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 4670 graphics card
4096MB 1067MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
500GB (7,200rpm) Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive
Internal DVD+/-RW (DVD & CD read and write) Slot Load Drive including Software
£999

Man of Honour
For gaming the first one will be better - the 260m GTX is on par with the mobile radeon 4850 - even with the extra 400Mhz on the CPU I doubt the second one will make up the difference GPU wise.

Man of Honour
The 4670 is no sloth tho... in older games it would probably run very close, but off the top of my head it only has half the shader processing power so if you ran something like crysis it would be a bigger margin.

TBH the 2nd one looks to be the better value for money by far... it just depends how serious you take your gaming.

Man of Honour

Just managed to get it upto 73C running 3D Marks 06 heh - after about half an hour of looping it it finally got into the 70s. Deff. takes more than one run to get it above 50C tho.

EDIT: Actually thats closer to an hour of looping it - I lost track of time.

Last edited:
Don
The 4670 is no sloth tho... in older games it would probably run very close, but off the top of my head it only has half the shader processing power so if you ran something like crysis it would be a bigger margin.

TBH the 2nd one looks to be the better value for money by far... it just depends how serious you take your gaming.

I would like it to be a serious gaming laptop, I am however under no illusions I could purchase a laptop with a lot more power but can't spend the amounts they ask for.

Would I notice the difference when gaming? I'm personalising the Dell now to see if there is any upgrades on the GFX.

Back
Top Bottom