"Titan Apollo" 15.4" Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad 2.00GHz+ Gaming Laptop Pre Order

Man of Honour
4670 1Gig gets ~P3100 in Vantage compared to ~P5500 for the 260m GTX.

To give you an idea gaming wise if the 260m GTX is getting 60-70 fps then the 4670 would be getting ~40-45fps.

EDIT: Lifted some crysis benchmarks - not sure on the details of the test but:

4670 1gig 53 | 41 | 30
260m 1gig 108 | 66 | 38

Last edited:
Soldato
Just to throw a spanner in here. I have learnt that there is more than one type of 260 card, where the more expensive is slightly over clocked. Not sure what the OcUK ones are.

Don
4670 1Gig gets ~P3100 in Vantage compared to ~P5500 for the 260m GTX.

To give you an idea gaming wise if the 260m GTX is getting 60-70 fps then the 4670 would be getting ~40-45fps.

EDIT: Lifted some crysis benchmarks - not sure on the details of the test but:

4670 1gig 53 | 41 | 30
260m 1gig 108 | 66 | 38

Interesting. Quite a big difference there...

Gah, not sure what to do :(

Man of Honour
Just to throw a spanner in here. I have learnt that there is more than one type of 260 card, where the more expensive is slightly over clocked. Not sure what the OcUK ones are.

Theres a 260m GTX and 260m GTS - the GTS is only 96 SP compared to the 112 on the GTX - but its on a smaller die and has DX10.1 hardware. I'm not sure if its available yet tho.

Soldato
Theres a 260m GTX and 260m GTS - the GTS is only 96 SP compared to the 112 on the GTX - but its on a smaller die and has DX10.1 hardware. I'm not sure if its available yet tho.

Thats interesting. The place i got mine from have an option on one of their laptops, both of the options have the 260 to select.

I phoned them up and enquired about it, they said it was due to one of them being slightly overclocked. Wondering if they are talking trollop. :/

Associate
Andy, the two laptops are entirely different classes. The clevo is a pure gaming laptop and the dell is a multimedia laptop. I have owned both so will give you pro's and cons of each.

Clevo:
+ Strong gaming performance
+ 15" chasis so quite portable
+ Solid build quality
+ Easily upgradable (even gpu although getting a replacement for a decent price is difficult)
+ External laptop temps cool (except for right palm rest)
+ Good connectivity
- Heavy for a 15" and quite thick
- Speakers poor quality
- Screen average at best
- massive power block (120watt)
- Heat out of the exhaust could warm your cold cup of coffee when running full tilt
- Average keyboard

Dell sxps 16
+ Screen quality (get either the 1080p RGB or 1080p WLED, do not get the 720p basic screen)
+ Great speakers with Subwoofer
+ Great design with backlit keyboard and multimedia keys
+ Light and slim so easy to transport
+ Small slim power block (90watts)
+ Easily upgradable (except gpu which is soldered onto mobo)
- Ati 4670 although a good midrange card will only be playing games at medium setting/res
- Heat! The external temps of the laptop get very hot (toughpad, palmrest and left keyboard)
- Fingerprint magnet

Battery life is poor on both models (about 2-2:30 in low power modes)

Don
Andy, the two laptops are entirely different classes. The clevo is a pure gaming laptop and the dell is a multimedia laptop. I have owned both so will give you pro's and cons of each.

Clevo:
+ Strong gaming performance
+ 15" chasis so quite portable
+ Solid build quality
+ Easily upgradable (even gpu although getting a replacement for a decent price is difficult)
+ External laptop temps cool (except for right palm rest)
+ Good connectivity
- Heavy for a 15" and quite thick
- Speakers poor quality
- Screen average at best
- massive power block (120watt)
- Heat out of the exhaust could warm your cold cup of coffee when running full tilt
- Average keyboard

Dell sxps 16
+ Screen quality (get either the 1080p RGB or 1080p WLED, do not get the 720p basic screen)
+ Great speakers with Subwoofer
+ Great design with backlit keyboard and multimedia keys
+ Light and slim so easy to transport
+ Small slim power block (90watts)
+ Easily upgradable (except gpu which is soldered onto mobo)
- Ati 4670 although a good midrange card will only be playing games at medium setting/res
- Heat! The external temps of the laptop get very hot (toughpad, palmrest and left keyboard)
- Fingerprint magnet

Battery life is poor on both models (about 2-2:30 in low power modes)

Thanks mate, that does help me. I'm still unsure about the extra expenditure though, I need an OS :(

Decisions, decisions!

Don
Well this is what I'd like...

What you think ninja/rroff? Anything worth changing? Was thinking of upgrading to the P7350 cpu for £26 more?

lap.jpg

Associate
Yeah its worth the £26 to upgrade the cpu, the 7350's are fine but you loose out on VT. You may want to pick up a P9500 (25w 2.53ghz and 6mb cash) or something later depending on your use.

Don
Yeah its worth the £26 to upgrade the cpu, the 7350's are fine but you loose out on VT. You may want to pick up a P9500 (25w 2.53ghz and 6mb cash) or something later depending on your use.

Ok, I'll consider that, is the Hard Drive good enough? Anything else worth upgrading/degrading?

Regarding the OS, if I get Vista Home, what Windows 7 do I upgrade to? Home again? Is Ultimate that different?

Thanks

Associate
I personally wouldnt choose SSD yet, but thats just me, they seem overpriced and 120gb wouldnt give me enough room for games/OS and media. I still use a 320gb 7200 WD black, it performs almost as well as my desktops 7200.10 single platter hard drive.

If you get vista home premium you will then be entitled to W7 home premium.

Cant see anything else worth upgrading, just get yourself a decent usb mouse :)

Associate
Not unless you remove the DVD drive and buy a ODD to HD caddy.
Very few laptops have 2x HD bays

And as much as I would love to have SSD's I still think its worth holding off until W7 is released and the TRIM standard is added. SSDs are coming down in price fast so I am hoping 256gb will be affordable next year and thats when I will invest.

Don
Thanks, I ordered the one "Titan Energizer" now anyway. Off on holiday for a week so will look forward to returning to it :)

One thing though, I would like a port replicator/docking station so I can plug my monitor/keyboard/mouse into the laptop. Is Titan the actual laptop make then? I can't seem to find a docking station for it

Soldato
Thanks, I ordered the one "Titan Energizer" now anyway. Off on holiday for a week so will look forward to returning to it :)

One thing though, I would like a port replicator/docking station so I can plug my monitor/keyboard/mouse into the laptop. Is Titan the actual laptop make then? I can't seem to find a docking station for it

Its a Clevo, not sure whick model, its probably in this thread somewhere. I could guess that a docking station would cost £100 - 200 quid!

Back
Top Bottom