To create a website or to buy one?

Associate
Being a Computer Science web design and development student, i can categorically say that if your experience of web design ended 9 years ago, you are better buying one.

Especially if as you say you want to add e-commerce, i doubt you have the experience required to use PHP & javascript.

Agreed.

I'm an ex web developer. Around 10 years ago I worked for 4 years doing back end coding in PHP/MySQL and other web technologies.

Even then my ability at doing anything creative was abysmal. That's why I was thankful the actual designers just gave me the pages and I coded behind it.

I've found Bootstrap fairly good although it does take time to get things working and how you like it.

Getting something properly done has tons of advantages. Such as you get a quick turn around, you get a nice design with good images and moving pictures.

What will you be selling?

Soldato
I'm looking at creating or paying someone to create a website , as a little side project to my current job. I have a plan on having a four page website, which will include a shop where visitors can purchase items from me using debit card, master card, PayPal etc.

I have done website creation before but it was a long time ago (Probably 9 years ago now, jezz time flys!) . I used good old Dreamweaver back then. (Is this still the software to use?)

But the main question is should I create one or is it easier these days to just pay someone to create one for you?

This sounds like what I've just done, although I've gone for the free option and created a site on Wordpress. It's very simple and I think it looks good enough. Sales are through email, though. (Can't link it here.)

Sgarrista
Commissario
I know one guy who buys bags of bird seed by the tonne, and sells them in little 500gram packs etc...

By all accounts, he mades a *lot* of money doing it.

What do you guys all sell online?

I always think I could make something work with online selling but never know what I could offer as a product or service

Soldato
Another vote for Shopify. You can have a good website up and running in a day.

Make sure you activate Shopify Payments though or you'll be robbed for 2% of your sales.

I'd recommend having a play around with their 14 day free trial.

Soldato
Just go off the shelf. Plenty of good stuff out there. Wordpress (with ecommerce plugins) Magento, shopify etc.. then pick a theme and modify it yourself. Simple, relatively easy. It's not like you're going to be having hundreds of thousands of visitors a month to your new site. If it starts to take off then you can look at upgrading or whatever once you've proven your concept.

Soldato
Wordpress/Themeforest Wordpress theme/WooCommerce is what I would recommend and very simple.
I second this. Like a lot of things in life, you can either make mistakes yourself, or pay someone else to make them. Both equally frustrating and time-consuming but one costs less money.

E: Forgot to say, I was in a very similar position to you (in terms of my experience, and what I needed) and I did exactly what Ash has suggested and I'm pleased with the results.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom