To remove, or not to remove (the glue), that is the question!

Associate
Do I remove the silicon glue from the IHS and PCB when delidding Kaby Lake? As I under it, one should remove this in order to reduce the gap between IHS and die, thereby increasing thermal transfer.

Would be grateful for your view.

Soldato
I'm obviously not 8pack but I presume there is no such thing as a gap given the thermal compound fills it... therefore the transfer would be the same.

Soldato
Removing the silicon glue is one of the biggest factors of reducing temps after delidding. Often they use so much glue that the IHS is risen above the die therefore there is a thick layer of thermal paste between them. Removing the glue reduces the gap and increases the heat transfer rate.
I'm obviously not 8pack but I presume there is no such thing as a gap given the thermal compound fills it... therefore the transfer would be the same.
Thermal compound is an insulator so a thicker layer insulates the CPU more and reduces the rate it transfers to the IHS and cooler.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys.

So remove glue and thin layer of CLU on die. I'm not going to glue the IHS and will leave it to the retaining clip to hold everything in place.

Wish I had an air cooler to test it with as my monoblock is a PITA to remove and install. Fingers crossed I get it right first time.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you remove your CPU fairly often or move your PC around a lot then i would glue it back on, thats if CLU is similar to CLP anyway. I've found several times after car journies my CPU contact has become poor probably because of the vibrations . I've had to remove the CPL and replace it a few times so i resolved it by gluing the lid back on. If you dont think you'll be taking the CPU out anytime soon then just leaving the clip to hold it on is fine.

Back
Top Bottom