To Sell or not to Sell...

Associate
My missus is thinking of changing up to a Golf SV or a Touran , however no dealer can seem to get a petrol auto for her to test drive.

The Touran is bloody spacious for the size it is , although it is a bit boring to look out but it will fulfill the family needs

Associate
I'd love an estate but I want a petrol, those two things really limit my options, so most likely will end up with a Mondeo or Insignia hatch instead.

Thanks for the advice, I no longer feel so silly about changing the car. I have to say I will miss the civic, but I always knew it would have to come to an end, just playing the waiting game now and hoping for a good mondeo to come up in my budget.

There are plenty of petrol estate cars out there, i know a lot are diesel but you can certainly find a petrol one. A petrol one would most likely be cheaper to. What is your budget anyway?

Soldato
We took the easy way out, Volvo V50, selling the Civic EP2 and keeping the MX-5, if push really comes to shove we can use the 2nd car seat base in the MX-5 with the airbag disabled, but as my Fiancee works from home the premise of "Whoever has the baby has the Volvo" is much easier to work.

Associate
OP
Budget is minimal, I'm banking on 2k trade in for the EP3 plus maybe another £1-2k on top. I know there are some petrol estates out there but my end of the market and living in Northern Ireland limit my options.

Best I can find is https://www.gumtree.com/p/mazda/mazda-6-ts-5dr-2009-excellent-condition/1232677343 but that means the hassle of trying to get the honda sold first, otherwise I'd be biting their heads off for it.

But as I don't need the big car till August so happy to play the waiting game for now and see what shows up in the trade, I also figure that for 99% of the stuff going into the boot the hatch will be adequate if I can get something mondeo sized.

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife has an Ibiza 5 door and it has been fine for our baby. The first 9-10 months our baby was rear facing but then as soon as she was too big for that we turned her round to be forward facing. Yes the months she was rear facing ment that either I or my wife needed to be in the back next to her, but this meant we could keep the car. Pram goes in the boot just fine. Only thing in your situation I cannot compare too is the dog. Also if your looking at estates check the room in them as I had an Astra estate for a year or so and it had less room then the Ibiza when the car seat was in position.

Don
My wife has an Ibiza 5 door and it has been fine for our baby. The first 9-10 months our baby was rear facing but then as soon as she was too big for that we turned her round to be forward facing. Yes the months she was rear facing ment that either I or my wife needed to be in the back next to her, but this meant we could keep the car. Pram goes in the boot just fine. Only thing in your situation I cannot compare too is the dog. Also if your looking at estates check the room in them as I had an Astra estate for a year or so and it had less room then the Ibiza when the car seat was in position.

With the new i-size stuff, car seats should remain rear facing for several years.

Soldato
With the new i-size stuff, car seats should remain rear facing for several years.

What is odd is that we have the Joie car seat they are using for a demonstration in their website pictures, but our seat states that at a certain weight or size the child should be turned round. I agree with this has her legs were starting to be pushed up against the back of the seat, which did not look comfortable and she would push on them which pushed her up on her straps, causing per pain.

Associate
OP
The backward facing is great in principle and I don't doubt that its safer in a head on collision. But the realities of putting a 15 month old child in a rear facing seat in the vast majority of cars is another matter. The owner of the baby store we got our infant seat from was saying she hasn't been able to sell many of the new i size models as they either just don't fit in cars or the child looks all squashed up in them. I'm not sure how this will pan out long term.

Soldato
The backward facing is great in principle and I don't doubt that its safer in a head on collision. But the realities of putting a 15 month old child in a rear facing seat in the vast majority of cars is another matter. The owner of the baby store we got our infant seat from was saying she hasn't been able to sell many of the new i size models as they either just don't fit in cars or the child looks all squashed up in them. I'm not sure how this will pan out long term.
Thats what i cant understand, my daughter is only 3 but if she was still rear facing i cant imagine it would be that comfy or as safe as forward facing. I know some countries have had i-size for a few years but it just seems too far to me. Also i believe you can still buy non i-size rear facing as both laws run concurrently. Thinking about it, my daughter was about 15 months when we swapped her round, however she wasnt the tallest. Also also i-size requires isofix, which not all cars have so how does that work?

Soldato
I actually think a lot of it comes down to how the parent really feels the little one looks in the seat. Our maniac is around a year and a half and has her legs tucked up a bit in the extended rear facing seat but tbh she seems perfectly comfortable and ok with the situation so we will leave her like that as long as possible.

We have one in the back of a fiesta and the seat needs to go pretty far forward, fine for my other half but i don't like travelling in the passenger seat for anything other than short journeys and I'm hardly tall. I wouldn't have it as our only car, nowhere near enough room

Soldato
I actually think a lot of it comes down to how the parent really feels the little one looks in the seat. Our maniac is around a year and a half and has her legs tucked up a bit in the extended rear facing seat but tbh she seems perfectly comfortable and ok with the situation so we will leave her like that as long as possible.

We have one in the back of a fiesta and the seat needs to go pretty far forward, fine for my other half but i don't like travelling in the passenger seat for anything other than short journeys and I'm hardly tall. I wouldn't have it as our only car, nowhere near enough room
Thats exactly my point, even when i drive my wifes mk 3 focus with my son behind me in rear facing (hes 7 months) i cant have my seat back as far as would be comfortable, and thats not even an i-size seat. Does everybody need to drive SUV's?

Back
Top Bottom