To wait it out of not - new PSU advice.

Suspended
Hello ladies and gents,

I am slowly looking to upgrade my kids PC. Having bought myself a R7 5700x for myself I passed on my R5 1600.

They are currently running a 4 year old 500w Thermaltake bronze. In the next couple of months, looking to give them the 5700x and upgrade to Ryzen 7000 for myself. Both PCs will then get 6700XT or new Nvidia/Radeon equivalent.

Outervision reckons that configuration (5700x/6700XT) draws around 471w with components so looking to buy a 750w PSU for it (500w*50%) and sell the older PC as a working system.

The Seasonic Focus GX 750W Gold Modular is currently on special on OCUK for £85. For the same price I can get Corsair RM750 (2021) or for £80 NZXT C750 NP C750M Gold Modular.

I am aware that PCIe connections may be changing for newer GPUs coming out and potentially motherboards may need 2x 4+4 EPS connectors. Should I buy one of those (or something else) now or wait for new CPU/GPU specs to become available and then wait months to not be able to power them as PSUs go into short supply.

Regards

NB

Caporegime
Phanteks AMP PSUs are good too, mostly seasonic rebrands
Get it now if you can, looks like it's going to be a while before you will need the atx 3.0.
yea and they will likely boost the price off them to be in line with other pc components so £200+ milking the enthusiasts

Associate
Get it now if you can, looks like it's going to be a while before you will need the atx 3.0.
Yes, this. No way the new standard is going to make all current GPUs obsolete and no way that all new GPUs will only be ATX 3.0.

ATX 2.0 has been around for decades anyway and goodluck forcing it out of production within a year. Just buy a new one and use an adapter if you have it.

Associate
Yes, this. No way the new standard is going to make all current GPUs obsolete and no way that all new GPUs will only be ATX 3.0.

ATX 2.0 has been around for decades anyway and goodluck forcing it out of production within a year. Just buy a new one and use an adapter if you have it.
I think you need to be a bit careful with that line of thinking... Whilst I agree about ATX 2.x being around for a good while and yes a new adapter cable probably shipping as part of any new GPU will make the connection, the ATX 3.0 specification I believe also means your PSU being able to briefly supply higher than normal current like 80% more not just in total but also on the rails you are connecting to. So you could end up in a situation where everything fits and powers on etc but 5mins into a game your PC shuts down.

I guess the answer in that situation so as not to foster scaremongering is you having to upgrade your PSU if that is happening to you.

If you are someone that likes to plan ahead, its actually a bit tricky atm because there isn't a lot of choice and in fairness to the PSU manufacturers they probably don't have anything more than indicative specs on which to test.

Personally what I've chosen to do is get a 1300W Seasonic with the current ATX 2.x specification with the rationale it must already be able to handle the high current draws as spikes given it can handle it as continuous load and therefore the adapter cable solution should work fine.

Associate
I think you need to be a bit careful with that line of thinking...
Likewise with speculations and assumptions over the new standard.

There's nothing to indicate that there will be any issues. No reviews. No data other than what's put down on the spec sheet and a theory that there might be an issue.

Caporegime
Personally what I've chosen to do is get a 1300W Seasonic with the current ATX 2.x specification with the rationale it must already be able to handle the high current draws as spikes given it can handle it as continuous load and therefore the adapter cable solution should work fine.
Same I went with a 1200watt phanteks amp which looks to be a seasonic rebrand.
Saw no point waiting to pay the inevitable 3.0 price premium

Suspended
OP
Landing up buying a Corsair RMx 750w in white (I think 2019). Cost me about £77 brand new so very happy with that. At some point, should be enough to power them with a Raphael/Raptor Lake or Radeon 7xxx/Nvidia 4xxx anyways.

Soldato
I feel I need at least a 1000 Watt psu as I've upgraded to a 3090ti, my corsair RM850i seems to be ok but as the card has the new type of connector I would like a atx 3.0 but they don't seem to be coming out anytime soon.

Soldato
Associate
You're not going to get an ATX 3.0 power supply in the price range you're looking at for a while, and the ATX 3.0 premium will be significant, so I think it's a moot point.

If you were looking at a £300 PSU I'd suggest waiting, but it's not going to be easy to cost down a PSU to meet ATX 3.0 specs, so really if you see a good deal on a current model that meets your needs jump on it.

Even if you are willing to pay more for an ATX 3.0 PSU, you'll probably see a greater than £80 reduction in cost of an ATX 3.0 PSU before you'd need one anyway.

Soldato
One thing that drew me toward corsair RM750 was the high efficiency at low loads, as I'm not always gaming, most of the time I'm surfin the net and listening to music, so the PC is essentially idle.

80+ must be 80% or more efficient at three specified loads (20%, 50% and 100% of maximum rated power). However, 80 Plus supplies may still be less than 80% efficient at lower loads.

The RM750 is apparently 77% efficient at 40w load (that's 5% load!!), and 82% efficient at 60w (8%) load.

Really I think 80+ specification should be updated to include at least a 10% load metric, especially for people with bigger capacity PSU's, that might spend a lot of time surfing, or light desktop work, but also want a capable PSU for gaming etc.... as with rising power costs I suspect it's a metric that will be come more relevent.

Man of Honour
Really I think 80+ specification should be updated to include at least a 10% load metric, especially for people with bigger capacity PSU's, that might spend a lot of time surfing, or light desktop work, but also want a capable PSU for gaming etc.... as with rising power costs I suspect it's a metric that will be come more relevent.

When I read this I thought that the new ATX spec must address it, but according to THG, nope, it doesn't seem to have done :o Most gold rated PSUs already meet this, I think.

"Changes in low load efficiency. Above 60% is required for 10W or 2% of max-rated capacity and above 70% is a recommendation."

Back
Top Bottom